Who remembers all of this?

Screenshot 2020-10-21 at 09.36.38.jpg

“So I played for Preston reserves at Hillsborough on the Monday and then for Wednesday on the Wednesday night against Notts County – I played at Hillsborough twice, for two different teams in three days!”

Then  'Wednesday' kicked in and...

“I was doing really well and I was offered a three-year deal, but then I damaged pretty much every major structure in my knee,” he said. “That was the end of that. It was a horrible experience.

Alex Miller at the Sheffield Star has put together another cracking interview/article today - this time with former Sheffield Wednesday keeper David Lucas

Cracking read - well done @Toadie

Read this excellent piece here 👉 https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/how-he-signed-bitter-taste-and-cardiff-david-lucas-his-ups-and-downs-sheffield-wednesday-3009623

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

I tore the Medial, Anterior, and Posterior ligaments in my left knee in a works accident January 2015

It's still not right now

But yeah, I liked David Lucas

Don't remember much about him, I had to have a drink to watch Wednesday in those days

• Like 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

A very good goalie, made very few mistakes. A shame his injuries caused him to quit the game.

i am sure one of them came in the Bullen in goal game at millwall . He just sort of collapsed. 

It did, no goalie on the bench so Bullen got the No 1 shirt, after which Millwall shot on sight, somehow LB kept them out, even getting IIRC a yellow for time wasting. Highlight was Frankie Simek's breakaway goal scored while 7 or 8 Millwall players were celebrating at the corner flag for a goal which was disallowed - got the home fans more angrymad than normal...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lythamowl said:

I hit some diesel and came off my motorbike in 1988, tore my anterior cruciate. 3 operations at the old king teds on rivelin (remember that ?!) and 2 years of physio. Still not right. Keep on battling hootie mate !

Ah the old King Ted’s..The days of Cottage Hospitals ... the sound of Merlins and the sight of Spitfire vapour trails...Bronco in goal against Blackpool when Springett was injured when we won 1-0 in the mud, Swanny and Tommy Mac keeping Blanchflower’s Spurs at bay In ‘61...

Stop it Lytham! I’m going to be useless all afternoon now!

Pugh forcing the ball over the line at Villa Park in ‘66 etc etc big Vic hobbling off..etc etc...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Elderly Owl said:

Ah the old King Ted’s..The days of Cottage Hospitals ... the sound of Merlins and the sight of Spitfire vapour trails...Bronco in goal against Blackpool when Springett was injured when we won 1-0 in the mud, Swanny and Tommy Mac keeping Blanchflower’s Spurs at bay In ‘61...

Stop it Lytham! I’m going to be useless all afternoon now!

Pugh forcing the ball over the line at Villa Park in ‘66 etc etc big Vic hobbling off..etc etc...

it's like a Peter Kay DVD in here sometimes lol

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Lythamowl said:

I hit some diesel and came off my motorbike in 1988, tore my anterior cruciate. 3 operations at the old king teds on rivelin (remember that ?!) and 2 years of physio. Still not right. Keep on battling hootie mate !

I hope you're not squeamish

One minute I'm upright

The next my leg is in a hole in a platform up to the knee.

I'm horizontal, my head is to the right, right leg to the left, left leg deep in the hole, the white shape next to my head is my helmet, I had another couple of feet to fall before I landed on the floor, I dont know how my leg excited the hole.

Screenshot_20201021-144715_Photos.thumb.jpg.de18837045f7b8f21603f4ffe4d4507e.jpg

Screenshot_20201021-144625_Photos.thumb.jpg.562c724072ebcf17981ec97869a147aa.jpg

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

4 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I tore the Medial, Anterior, and Posterior ligaments in my left knee in a works accident January 2015

It's still not right now

But yeah, I liked David Lucas

Don't remember much about him, I had to have a drink to watch Wednesday in those days

Hi Chey.

Liked him as a keeper but a bit confused by the interview

Says he got a bad injury and his contract had ended.....Wednesday helped him recover and invited him in to talk but he decided it was time for a fresh start

How does that leave a bitter taste?

5 hours ago, Lythamowl said:

Similar here, did my cruciate's in 1986 on the Banana pitch at Longley Park (it was all iced up, game should have  been called off), like you treated at King Ted's and it's never fully recovered. Can barely walk these days, although that is more likely due to steady weight gain over the last 30 odd years!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1