Callum Paterson

I think we are not in the financial state where we can get a clear no. 9 in, unless we really ship Iorfa to some PL club for a decent fee.

I wouldn't mind us having a battering ram up front as our midfield looks much more like scoring this season, so he would definitely make space to others by keeping the defenders busy and bagging a few himself from set pieces at least.

Really think a lot will be surprised with Paterson? He puts himself about wherever he plays is strong good in the air and likes a scrap? If we get him for say 1-2 m I think we’ll get good value for money? He ob not prolific but adds something we defo lacking atm 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, SiJ said:

That doesn't mean a great deal. 

At the end of the day, I doubt Cardiff signed him to absurd wages, given there was always a fair chance they'd be getting relegated before too long. 

Further, the contract likely will have contained some sort of wage clause if the club were relegated. Pretty standard practice for a lot of PL sides. 

May be able to pick up a few of Wilder’s Wonders next summer.😂

47 minutes ago, SiJ said:

That doesn't mean a great deal. 

At the end of the day, I doubt Cardiff signed him to absurd wages, given there was always a fair chance they'd be getting relegated before too long. 

Further, the contract likely will have contained some sort of wage clause if the club were relegated. Pretty standard practice for a lot of PL sides. 

I’m pretty sure the PFA don’t allow contracts, to contain clauses, to reduce wages upon relegation. That’s the main reason for parachute payments. 

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Big, fit as a butchers dog, terrific attitude , experiece at this level, but still with plenty of years ahead of him and can play a number of positions. 

Admittedly he's not very famous and like all supporters around the land, the fan base likes to be linked to 'names'. 

But it's not really about names, it's about whether a player will add something to your squad that you need.

I belive he would. 

By curiosity,  what are Cardiff fans saying about his possible exit? 

That often tells you a lot...

Many don't want him to leave and see him as a useful versatile player, who gives his all when called upon and in whatever role he's asked to play. I'm from nearby there, my sister supports them, take it from me after seeing a lot of Cardiff, he's a much more handier player than some of us might think.

From what I've read via walesonline he see's himself as a number 9 type and he's eager to win his Scottish international place back. From what I've seen of him, he's effective on the right side of midfield, right side of attack and in the number 9 role. He was liked at Cardiff by many of their fans but they have brought in two expensive number 9's and despite still receiving parachute payments, they need to sell in order to strengthen other areas of their team. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Many don't want him to leave and see him as a useful versatile player, who gives his all when called upon and in whatever role he's asked to play. I'm from nearby there, my sister supports them, take it from me after seeing a lot of Cardiff, he's a much more handier player than some of us might think.

From what I've read via walesonline he see's himself as a number 9 type and he's eager to win his Scottish international place back. From what I've seen of him, he's effective on the right side of midfield, right side of attack and in the number 9 role. He was liked at Cardiff by many of their fans but they have brought in two expensive number 9's and despite still receiving parachute payments, they need to sell in order to strengthen other areas of their team. 

Think he will end up coming to us from what’s being said around Cardiff? 

Guest Willow Owl
21 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

People still seem to think he's a right-back/wing-back. He hasn't played there for years.

He’s played majority of his career on the right and has only recently switched to being a forward. He’s only 25 !!

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Think he will end up coming to us from what’s being said around Cardiff? 

Sounds like he's off, remains to be seen if it's to us or someone else. They are eager to strengthen other areas of the team, although they may have a re-think due to a lot of their fans not wanting him to leave. However, the player needs a move, from what I've read, he's determined to play in attack and to win his Scottish place back. From what I've seen, heard and read, in these parts, he'd be a useful signing and if some of us are underwhelmed we'll be in for a surprise. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

He’s played majority of his career on the right and has only recently switched to being a forward. He’s only 25 !!

He’s been at Cardiff for 3yrs and rarely used by them on the right. 

32 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

Really think a lot will be surprised with Paterson? He puts himself about wherever he plays is strong good in the air and likes a scrap? If we get him for say 1-2 m I think we’ll get good value for money? He ob not prolific but adds something we defo lacking atm 

Ah the epitome of a modern forward

5 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Sounds like he's off, remains to be seen if it's to us or someone else. They are eager to strengthen other areas of the team, although they may have a re-think due to a lot of their fans not wanting him to leave. However, the player needs a move, from what I've read, he's determined to play in attack and to win his Scottish place back. From what I've seen, heard and read, in these parts, he'd be a useful signing and if some of us are underwhelmed we'll be in for a surprise. 

I think it will all depend on whether we can do it financially.

From a player perspective I think he would fit to some extent what Monk is doing.

Monk knows we are in a scrap. His style has always been for an aggressive, dynamic team irrespective of the formation.

Anyway it was impossible to turn us into a slick footballing team given the players we already have.

Hence he wants us to be aggressive and competitive in every game, turn them into battles if needed, and it’s no good doing that if you have no warriors.

Paterson is that kind of player .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

From a player perspective I think he would fit to some extent what Monk is doing.

Monk knows we are in a scrap. His style has always been for an aggressive, dynamic team irrespective of the formation.

Anyway it was impossible to turn us into a slick footballing team given the players we already have.

Hence he wants us to be aggressive and competitive in every game, turn them into battles if needed, and it’s no good doing that if you have no warriors.

From what's been said and what I have read, they seem to think it's on, 'that we can afford to equal his wages and the only stumbling block might be the fee?'

I too can see why Monk might fancy him and it's a good point about the dynamic, battling and aggressive attributes. His work rate; aggression, energy, aerial ability and versatility should be useful if we sign him.

Personally, I think he'll be a good fit for us and a handy option in the squad. One overlooked attribute I've noticed when seeing him play for Cardiff, is that his link up play and making space for others, is handy and I could see him becoming more of a Hooper type for us? 

7 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

From what's been said and what I have read, they seem to think it's on, 'that we can afford to equal his wages and the only stumbling block might be the fee?'

I too can see why Monk might fancy him and it's a good point about the dynamic, battling and aggressive attributes. His work rate; aggression, energy, aerial ability and versatility should be useful if we sign him.

Personally, I think he'll be a good fit for us and a handy option in the squad. One overlooked attribute I've noticed when seeing him play for Cardiff, is that his link up play and making space for others, is handy and I could see him becoming more of a Hooper type for us? 

That last bit is interesting, to be honest I haven’t seen much of that myself in my limited viewings It’s an area that most feel, while assessing his attributes, is not one of his strong points. If his link up play, and control, is underrated, then along with his stronger attributes, he may well be able to convert to a centre forward. Being a strong header, and running around a lot, isn’t enough in a modern day forward

1 hour ago, Mick70 said:

Surely we need someone who can do what he is lacking ... goals 

Just now, gurujuan said:

That last bit is interesting, to be honest I haven’t seen much of that myself in my limited viewings It’s an area that most feel, while assessing his attributes, is not one of his strong points. If his link up play, and control, is underrated, then along with his stronger attributes, he may well be able to convert to a centre forward. Being a strong header, and running around a lot, isn’t enough in a modern day forward

If we do sign him, that's something Monk and Beattie could work on and get more out of him, I think Warnock mentioned similar things and told him to look at players like Mitrovic for inspiration. There's a effective forward in his locker, eager to become Scotland's number 9, though he appears equally effective on the right side of attack too. With more games and a bit more attacking coaching, he could be a smart signing, his game suits us and he's got the ability to be a effective attacker. 

36 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Bit of a most obvious opening line that. I would like a top of the range Merc but the finance doesn't work for me !

8 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Surely we need someone who can do what he is lacking ... goals 

He might not be the only attacker we bring in if we do sign him? But he's got the ability to open up space for others, battle and poach, like an effective centre forward or attacker. He's been effective in midfield and attack at this level and in the top flight, he could be effective for us too.