Callum Paterson

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

He’s been at Cardiff for 3yrs and rarely used by them on the right. 

Last 12-18 months as a striker, Hardly years is it. Just my opinion on what I believe would be a good signing.

6 minutes ago, sheffwed1 said:

When was the last time we had a 20 goal a season striker in the Championship? 
too much is made of having one. 

Plenty of teams have made the top 6 or gone up without relying on one. I think Patterson was their top scorer a couple of years ago and they made the play-offs last season without one. A team can be effective at this level at both ends of the pitch, if they're solid and hardworking as a team and the goals can be spread about more as a result. So far, we look more solid and effective at both ends of the pitch this season, due to our improved energy and solidity. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Plenty of teams have made the top 6 or gone up without relying on one. I think Patterson was their top scorer a couple of years ago and they made the play-offs last season without one. A team can be effective at this level at both ends of the pitch, if they're solid and hardworking as a team and the goals can be spread about more as a result. So far, we look more solid and effective at both ends of the pitch this season, due to our improved energy and solidity. 

Look at Leeds last year, how would we feel about signing bamforth, poor finisher, but key to the way Leeds played and their overall effectiveness

41 minutes ago, sheffwed1 said:

When was the last time we had a 20 goal a season striker in the Championship? 
too much is made of having one. 

I think we've only had two in any division since the mid 1990s haven't we? Steve MacLean and Neil Mellor, both in the third tier. As for the old second level, aren't you going back to Bannister and Varadi in 1984? The former scored 22 in all three of his seasons with us.

4 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I think we've only had two in any division since the mid 1990s haven't we? Steve MacLean and Neil Mellor, both in the third tier. As for the old second level, aren't you going back to Bannister and Varadi in 1984? The former scored 22 in all three of his seasons with us.

The absolute pile of crap Wednesday have largely been since the mid 90s would suggest that the lack of one has cost us. Big time

3 hours ago, Kendo Nagasaki said:

So these comments were tongue in cheek. 😂
my Cardiff mates describe him as a poor Bothroyd good when he wants but no heart and certainly not a team player. Very similar to the 2 Baggies who post on here. 
Sounds the ideal forward but keep using it as another stick to beat Monk and the recruitment team with. I would rather trust their opinion than someone trawling every transfer rumour offering his self proclaimed expertise. 

Your Cardiff mates know nothing about football.................or anything else for that matter.

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Surely we need someone who can do what he is lacking ... goals 

Show me where we can get a 20 a season scorer from for a cup of million? We apparently got one that cost 8 we all know how that’s gone? Think the goals will be shared about because we can’t go get one? Even on loan ? Zohore gona cost buckets and he don’t get 20 a season? Keep saying think this season gota be treated as a one off? 46 cup finals where got got to scrap for every point ? Even getting the likes of the lad from Everton or simmonds from Man City a big big gamble ?? I’m all for proper football but this season just a complete different ball game and I’d rather for one season only go for players that will go to war week in out ? We have to stay in this league and monk will know this 

43 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Problem we've got is teams that are successful without the 20 goal a season striker find goals easy to come by from other positions. We don't. We even have an homegrown talent in Palmer who has been a fixture in our squad for the last 10 years and he's scored just the one competitive goal for us and that came 9 years ago. Scoring enough goals through the team just doesn't come naturally to us, I'm afraid 😟

Just now, Mick70 said:

Show me where we can get a 20 a season scorer from for a cup of million? We apparently got one that cost 8 we all know how that’s gone? Think the goals will be shared about because we can’t go get one? Even on loan ? Zohore gona cost buckets and he don’t get 20 a season? Keep saying think this season gota be treated as a one off? 46 cup finals where got got to scrap for every point ? Even getting the likes of the lad from Everton or simmonds from Man City a big big gamble ?? I’m all for proper football but this season just a complete different ball game and I’d rather for one season only go for players that will go to war week in out ? We have to stay in this league and monk will know this 

Who said anything about  twenty goal a season?  But we need someone who knows where the net is at least, of course we need to scrap for every point and having a player who can score would ease the burden. 

I know that these players are expensive and difficult to find but we have had plenty of warning that this was coming and we should have been better prepared to get deals over the line.  The recruitment team will be handing in hefty bills and expecting them to be paid but they need to deliver something for it.

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Who said anything about  twenty goal a season?  But we need someone who knows where the net is at least, of course we need to scrap for every point and having a player who can score would ease the burden. 

I know that these players are expensive and difficult to find but we have had plenty of warning that this was coming and we should have been better prepared to get deals over the line.  The recruitment team will be handing in hefty bills and expecting them to be paid but they need to deliver something for it.

Think our point deduction will have scared a few off? Modern footballers eh ? The whole scenario for us is against us? Puts deduction covid19 under restrictions for wot we can spend? Can’t see there being many options for wot we have to spend? Tough tough market and decisions to make? We do seem to take a while to get deals over the line all the same??

55 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

But our squad as it stands scored something like 24 goals last season. What have you seen in the opening games that makes you think Bannan Reach Brown etc are suddenly going to find their scoring boots? Because we are still squandering good chances that should be put away.

Just now, Mick70 said:

Think our point deduction will have scared a few off? Modern footballers eh ? The whole scenario for us is against us? Puts deduction covid19 under restrictions for wot we can spend? Can’t see there being many options for wot we have to spend? Tough tough market and decisions to make? We do seem to take a while to get deals over the line all the same??

Agree and I have made the same points but the recruitment team won't come cheap and they need to deliver, its about time we stopped making excuses for them and others behind the scenes at Hillsborough who are very well paid.

Just now, Plonk said:

But our squad as it stands scored something like 24 goals last season. What have you seen in the opening games that makes you think Bannan Reach Brown etc are suddenly going to find their scoring boots? Because we are still squandering good chances that should be put away.

Ah but, soon Dunkley will be fit, well maybe not so soon, but he scores goals

29 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Bloody idiot forgot about David Hirst scoring just 32 in 1990/1. :blush:

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Agree and I have made the same points but the recruitment team won't come cheap and they need to deliver, its about time we stopped making excuses for them and others behind the scenes at Hillsborough who are very well paid.

They do need to get their finger out, the Covid situation is the same for all sides, and if anything, we’ve already managed to create some space by clearing out a few big earners. The other thing is, they can’t even get deals over the line when players are out of work. How many trialists have we had for the U23s, and have not yet managed to get one of them over the line

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1