Callum Paterson

Just now, gurujuan said:

Then you’d at least be expecting Warnock to be trying to take him to Boro wouldn’t you

Not necessarily, no.

He may feel like he already has enough of the type of forwards he needs at Middlesbrough. Their context will be different to ours at this moment in time. A player who'd be a great signing for them might not be for us, and vice versa.

If Paterson adds more aerial threat, physicality and energy to our attack, then he may be a good fit for us.

• Like 2

Has always looked a decent player to me.

Not sure he is the guy to come in and bag us twenty goals a season, but a contribution of 8 to 10 would be useful, if a few others are able to chip in with similar amounts. 

Personally, I think it's going to be pretty hard for us to find a quality, prolific striker who is the finished article. Not sure there's many of them around, let alone ones available for us to realistically get. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Has always looked a decent player to me.

Not sure he is the guy to come in and bag us twenty goals a season, but a contribution of 8 to 10 would be useful, if a few others are able to chip in with similar amounts. 

Personally, I think it's going to be pretty hard for us to find a quality, prolific striker who is the finished article. Not sure there's many of them around, let alone ones available for us to realistically get. 

I’d be happy to share the goals around, yes, but I do think we need a player to lead the line, someone who can link all the other components From what I’ve seen of Patterson, he isn’t that type of player. If we are bringing him in for that particular role, it’s a huge gamble as he lacks some of the basic attributes to do that job. If that isn’t the role he’s been earmarked for, then he might well be a useful utility player who could cover a few positions. Could he be coached to play the centre forward role? It’s possible, especially if he will be working with Beattie, but it may take time, and for me anyway, would be a risky gamble

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’d be happy to share the goals around, yes, but I do think we need a player to lead the line, someone who can link all the other components From what I’ve seen of Patterson, he isn’t that type of player. If we are bringing him in for that particular role, it’s a huge gamble as he lacks some of the basic attributes to do that job. If that isn’t the role he’s been earmarked for, then he might well be a useful utility player who could cover a few positions. Could he be coached to play the centre forward role? It’s possible, especially if he will be working with Beattie, but it may take time, and for me anyway, would be a risky gamble

Unfortunately, we might have to take a gamble.

We are in a difficult position and may well have to uncover a diamond in the rough.

From what I've seen this far, I think Windass may prove to be our biggest goal threat. A combination of him and Paterson or Kachunga may not sound prolific on paper, but could prove quite a handful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grandad said:

Edinburgh Owl says he loves him

After his glowing reference for Stevie May - can we just dump this one now? 😂

At least Paterson is a bit of a brute.

Stevie May has to be one of the most physically weak footballers I've ever seen.

He made Patrick Bamford look like Drogba ffs 

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Paterson averages a goal every 263 minutes in the Championship, compared to Nuhiu's goal every 304 at the same level. Given that he played 80% of those games in midfield, it would suggest he's a more reliable source of goals than Nuhiu. He was more frequently used as a centre forward in the Premier League.

However, goals aren't the only measure of a forward, of course. It's what they can offer to the team as a whole that really matters. Nuhiu was a useful player for us, but it seems like Monk wants a more mobile, energetic frontline who can close down from the front and press opposition defences.

In that regard, the comments from Warnock sound pretty positive:

“We put him in midfield last year and he scored goals. He’s got an eye for goals, wherever he is. And that midfield role was great. He’s always around, looking [for] goals. And he’s just a genuine kid. He’s as good as anybody in the air that I’ve had. He’s improving all the time. He answers the question.

We try and get people supporting him as much as we can. But he’s got so much energy that he can do that job – and it is a hard job, isn’t it? I said to him about Mitrovic at Fulham. He’s the best at that, really. ‘Be nasty, be a bit like him, Pat, have a look at his videos and see what he does because you’re up against these big lads every week.’ And he’s learned on that. He’s a bit cuter, isn’t he? A little bit cuter. And that’s what you’ve got to be.

You only have to look at the stats, the amount of ground he [Paterson] covers.

He’s just a tremendous lad. He’ll play anywhere for me, do anything.

In the old fashioned days, we used to talk about players running through brick walls, but if I asked him to do that he probably would!”

I wonder why he's not took him to Boro?

3 minutes ago, Grandad said:

I wonder why he's not took him to Boro?

At the risk of repeating myself...

He may feel like he already has enough of the type of forwards he needs at Middlesbrough. Their context will be different to ours at this moment in time. A player who'd be a great signing for them might not be for us, and vice versa.

If Paterson adds more aerial threat, physicality and energy to our attack, then he may be a good fit for us.

Big, fit as a butchers dog, terrific attitude , experiece at this level, but still with plenty of years ahead of him and can play a number of positions. 

Admittedly he's not very famous and like all supporters around the land, the fan base likes to be linked to 'names'. 

But it's not really about names, it's about whether a player will add something to your squad that you need.

I belive he would. 

By curiosity,  what are Cardiff fans saying about his possible exit? 

That often tells you a lot...

• Like 2

We don't need to sign brilliant individuals, we need players who will work for the team. The sum of the parts and all that.

Paterson looks like a good fit in that sense.

We also won't be looking to score loads this season, more a case of keep it tight and score from set pieces or on the break. We need players who buy in to that ethic not the individual superstars we signed in recent times.

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Big, fit as a butchers dog, terrific attitude , experiece at this level, but still with plenty of years ahead of him and can play a number of positions. 

Admittedly he's not very famous and like all supporters around the land, the fan base likes to be linked to 'names'. 

But it's not really about names, it's about whether a player will add something to your squad that you need.

I belive he would. 

I concur, an interesting utility player. Now about this centre forward........

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gurujuan said:

So which of those posts don’t describe Zohore, in your opinion. Watching those clips of him, he’s strong, deceptively quick, once he gets into his stride, and knows how to lead the line. The Nuhiu remark was tongue in cheek. He is the type of forward we need, but if the figures don’t add up, look for someone else

On 09/09/2020 at 09:04, gurujuan said:

A like for like replacement for Nuhiu, would be pleased with that Always useful to have that sort of option in your armoury

On 09/09/2020 at 09:28, gurujuan said:

Never thought of him as being particularly quick, though it probably takes him a while to get into his stride, but yes, fair comment

So these comments were tongue in cheek. 😂
my Cardiff mates describe him as a poor Bothroyd good when he wants but no heart and certainly not a team player. Very similar to the 2 Baggies who post on here. 
Sounds the ideal forward but keep using it as another stick to beat Monk and the recruitment team with. I would rather trust their opinion than someone trawling every transfer rumour offering his self proclaimed expertise. 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I concur, an interesting utility player. Now about this centre forward........

Exactly

Definitely a signing that will strengthen us in a number of areas. But not the missing link up front

9 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I belive he would. 

they're gutted, he's a fan favourite there. one bloke says he'd rather keep patterson and get rid of the manager !!! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kendo Nagasaki said:

So these comments were tongue in cheek. 😂
my Cardiff mates describe him as a poor Bothroyd good when he wants but no heart and certainly not a team player. Very similar to the 2 Baggies who post on here. 
Sounds the ideal forward but keep using it as another stick to beat Monk and the recruitment team with. I would rather trust their opinion than someone trawling every transfer rumour offering his self proclaimed expertise. 

The Nuhiu one. Are you talking about Zohore here, or Patterson? Doesn’t really matter, as it doesn’t make sense, seeing as Monk identified both of them as targets anyway