Callum Paterson

I'd take him now. We need energy and workers with the team were building. At least in the last few games you can see what monk is trying to do now. 

We need players who can press for 90 mins and keep that energy up. This one fits into that system.

There's no chance in hell we're going to find that sort of player who's also a top finisher.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, agentwalker said:

I'd take him now. We need energy and workers with the team were building. At least in the last few games you can see what monk is trying to do now. 

We need players who can press for 90 mins and keep that energy up. This one fits into that system.

There's no chance in hell we're going to find that sort of player who's also a top finisher.

Some are expecting a top finisher who can also link up play, hold the ball up and have pace to run in behind. Oh and also to be free.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Tarquin said:

Not according to all the ITKers on here , make mystic meg look like Dot Cotton.

Yes, well. Some people scoffed when we signed Lee Chapman because he'd only scored 7 goals in the previous two calender years.

Sometimes a player clicks at a club.

I'll not be writing this lad off before he's laced a boot.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

He might be the answer for all we know. 

The future is unwritten. 

This is the thing with a deal like this, isn't it?

Very few players come with a cast-iron guarantee that they'll continue their previous form when they join a new club, especially at our level and below.

In a new system, with new tactics, new teammates, new manager, new coaching team etc., a player might just find that their attributes and talents are maximised in a way that they previously weren't.

Look at the way Che Adams and Chris Wood suddenly blossomed under Monk, or how United got the best out of McGoldrick.

The important thing is how a player fits into the team and how they might complement the others around them. We've seemingly not been successful at this in recent years; hopefully we're now starting to get it right.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Yes, well. Some people scoffed when we signed Lee Chapman because he'd only scored 7 goals in the previous two calender years.

I don't remember that

I remember fans being pleased we'd signed a player who in his previous 2 seasons had scored 7 goals in about 30 games for Arsenal and Sunderland as a relative youngster

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Remember when Cloughy built a team of rejects and ragamuffins at Forest that went on to win the European Cup. Imagine the outcry on here with some of the signings. 

Just now, Grandad said:

I don't remember that

I remember fans being pleased we'd signed a player who in his previous 2 seasons had scored 7 goals in about 30 games for Arsenal and Sunderland as a relative youngster

Funny what the mists of time can  do to the memories Grandad.

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Funny what the mists of time can  do to the memories Grandad.

I was just thinking the same

Or maybe I was much easier pleased back in the day

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The Nuhiu one. Are you talking about Zohore here, or Patterson? Doesn’t really matter, as it doesn’t make sense, seeing as Monk identified both of them as targets anyway

The comments were about Zohore as you well know just showing examples of your inconsistencies. 
Back on topic Patterson is a huge fan’s favourite a team player can do a job anywhere and not afraid to mix it. He’s not the quickest but has more pace than some are suggesting. 
Sounds as though he would fit nicely into the way Monk is wanting us to play. Only 25 as well looks as though it could be another shrewd signing

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

This is the thing with a deal like this, isn't it?

Very few players come with a cast-iron guarantee that they'll continue their previous form when they join a new club, especially at our level and below.

In a new system, with new tactics, new teammates, new manager, new coaching team etc., a player might just find that their attributes and talents are maximised in a way that they previously weren't.

Look at the way Che Adams and Chris Wood suddenly blossomed under Monk, or how United got the best out of McGoldrick.

The important thing is how a player fits into the team and how they might complement the others around them. We've seemingly not been successful at this in recent years; hopefully we're now starting to get it right.

Indeed.

It's all about hoping someone clicks.

Right person. Right club. Right time.

Only people shopping at the top really get the guarantee.

And even then....

Torres-at-Chelsea-768x432.jpg.01b201af909842d6313e701466e24b3e.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kendo Nagasaki said:

The comments were about Zohore as you well know just showing examples of your inconsistencies. 
Back on topic Patterson is a huge fan’s favourite a team player can do a job anywhere and not afraid to mix it. He’s not the quickest but has more pace than some are suggesting. 
Sounds as though he would fit nicely into the way Monk is wanting us to play. Only 25 as well looks as though it could be another shrewd signing

Ok, let’s leave the Zohore issue, it seems we’ve been priced out of that one anyway, but remember he too was a Monk target. With regards to Patterson, do you see him as our centre forward? Those attributes you mention do suggest he could be a useful addition to the squad, but as a utility player. 
Actually, utility player perhaps paints the wrong picture, maybe more a player who can bring something to several areas of the pitch. My stance would be, we still need a centre forward, someone who can lead the line and bring others into play. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think as a fans we were all a bit more realistic about where we were doing our shopping back then!

Back in the days of Lee Chapman you could watch us for £4. In the North.

Inflationary equivalent of £12.50 today

Just now, Grandad said:

Back in the days of Lee Chapman you could watch us for £4. In the North.

Inflationary equivalent of £12.50 today

And that, frankly, is why the game will never be the same.

But don't start, or you'll have me moaning about all seater stadiums, the lack of cigar waft on boxing day games and.....Saturdays at 3pm

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dizzys Dad said:

He signed a new contract when Cardiff got promoted to the PL. Runs till 2022.

That doesn't mean a great deal. 

At the end of the day, I doubt Cardiff signed him to absurd wages, given there was always a fair chance they'd be getting relegated before too long. 

Further, the contract likely will have contained some sort of wage clause if the club were relegated. Pretty standard practice for a lot of PL sides. 

• Like 1