The Humble Club - Abhorrence Of Arabia

Big Malc

Just catching up on Match Of The Day this morning, and United look all over the place at the back - players getting pulled out of position, little semblance of a defensive line, poor touches conceding possession in their own half time after time...

It's hard to believe this team were talked about as contenders for European football going last spring, isn't it?

Only seen their matches on MOTD highlights but their midfield 3 is shocking. They just look very similar in how they play in that none of them drive forward into space or are capable of beating a man. No wonder they don't score enough. Their only attacking options are 2 full backs and a striker. Wilder has spent a good amount of money yet he has no players to be able to change the formation. He has to take most of the blame for that.

I have watched a fair bit of United this season and I think they flatter to deceive.

The system they play 3-5-2 is actually more of a 3-6-1 with McGoldrick dropping into midfield and often 2-7-1 with Basham pushing into midfield.

This gives them a huge numbers advantage in midfield and they pass it around nicely but without actually creating anything. Other than McGoldrick none of there midfield can see/play the slide rule ball needed to unlock a defence. 

Invariably they go wide but when the cross it the lone striker is totally outnumbered.

Even against Newcastle I don't think they would have scored without the very dubious penalty.

Ther best bet for a goal at the moment is hoof to Burke and hope he can outpace the defence.

As @vulva has said the keeper looks like he is handling a bar of soap, he Is always floundering about on the floor like a fish out of water and looks a lot worse than either Dawson or Wildsmith.

15 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

I have watched a fair bit of United this season and I think they flatter to deceive.

The system they play 3-5-2 is actually more of a 3-6-1 with McGoldrick dropping into midfield and often 2-7-1 with Basham pushing into midfield.

This gives them a huge numbers advantage in midfield and they pass it around nicely but without actually creating anything. Other than McGoldrick none of there midfield can see/play the slide rule ball needed to unlock a defence. 

Invariably they go wide but when the cross it the lone striker is totally outnumbered.

Even against Newcastle I don't think they would have scored without the very dubious penalty.

Ther best bet for a goal at the moment is hoof to Burke and hope he can outpace the defence.

As @vulva has said the keeper looks like he is handling a bar of soap, he Is always floundering about on the floor like a fish out of water and looks a lot worse than either Dawson or Wildsmith.

100% correct....pass, pass, pass...good or poor cross

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Anybody wanting to brighten up 'blue Monday' for themselves could do worse than take a look at some of the Blades' fans predictions for the rest of the season.

I particularly like this one:

1510772129_Screenshot2021-01-18at09_42_57.thumb.png.08b4a73805d09668b9f7223f59ea22cb.png

I mean...yes, it does seem slightly ridiculous, doesn't it?

1490019984_Laugh2.gif.e2e9cb76b87fffb43e265cd6381c2a3d.gif

Do I sense an anti WHU bias lol

They went up slightly differently in the Champ.

Had the midfield base of Fleck and Norwood with Duffy playing the attacking midfield/almost a number 10 role behind two strikers.

He fell out with Wilder and got booted so now it's three central midfielders with McGoldrick having to drop back to do the Duffy role too.

I mean, Mark Duffy wasn't going to make much difference, but by not replacing him, or should I say having zero faith in his replacement in Freeman, they've completely limited their options in terms of attacking. 

21 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Anybody wanting to brighten up 'blue Monday' for themselves could do worse than take a look at some of the Blades' fans predictions for the rest of the season.

I particularly like this one:

1510772129_Screenshot2021-01-18at09_42_57.thumb.png.08b4a73805d09668b9f7223f59ea22cb.png

I mean...yes, it does seem slightly ridiculous, doesn't it?

1490019984_Laugh2.gif.e2e9cb76b87fffb43e265cd6381c2a3d.gif

He wasn't generous, but predicted they would win 15 games between now and the end of the season?! 

Please provide a link so I can laugh some more.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's quite something to admit that of the two 'keepers you signed in the summer, the one you picked up for nothing might actually be better than the one you spent £18.5m on.

That would take some next-level humility, even for Wilder.

They should sign Hutch to take him out in training 😆 

9 minutes ago, SiJ said:

He wasn't generous, but predicted they would win 15 games between now and the end of the season?! 

Please provide a link so I can laugh some more.

To be fair, most on the thread are laughing at him as well.

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-task.84379/

He's standing by it and reckons they have 'every chance of beating the likes of Fulham, West Brom, Newcastle, Brighton, Burnley, West Ham, Leeds, Villa and getting draws against the likes of Palace, Wolves, Southampton.'

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Django said:

To equal last seasons “best ever blades side” total of 54 points they need 49 points from their remaining 19 games 

or 16 wins 1 draw and 2 defeats

:duntmatter:

They should get their 2 defeats in the next 2 league games so after that it’s 16 wins  and a draw. Yes I can see that happening 😀😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

18 minutes ago, Howards back said:

They should get their 2 defeats in the next 2 league games so after that it’s 16 wins and a draw. Yes I can see that happening 😀😀

From one win in 17 to no losses in 17 can't see a problem with that. 😆 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Just catching up on Match Of The Day this morning, and United look all over the place at the back - players getting pulled out of position, little semblance of a defensive line, poor touches conceding possession in their own half time after time...

It's hard to believe this team were talked about as contenders for European football going last spring, isn't it?

And best defender out of them is suspended for Man Utd game. lol