Rhodes

3 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

So subs can't score?.. or when and if our "main striker" is injured.

Just saying, if he doesn't knock a few in (as things stand) we will be relegated.

His chances of scoring when he’s sitting on the bench and not in GM’s plans are very low was my point, I wouldn’t be relying on him and suggesting we need his goals to stay up, what you’re saying is like Man Utd fans saying to have a good season they need Lee Grant to make decent saves.

On 08/09/2020 at 17:22, alanharper said:

I'm 48, overweight and unfit, have never played football at a decent level, but I reckon if the entire team setup and game plan was changed to work on providing me with open goals 6 yards out I'd bag 20 a season easy.

Exactly,  I don't think people know how daft they sound when they go on about 'setting up the team' for Rhodes.

As you say, getting the ball put on plate for you six yards out isn't exactly an endorsement of your skills as a player.

18 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Rhodes came in under the most pressure of any signing at Wednesday. Record signing joining a club he'd been linked with for ages and a team in a very good position to get promoted. It started well with an assist on debut away at Wigan before a home debut goal against Birmingham. I actually think his performances in 16/17 were decent for us without much reward. We didn't play to his strengths, that was obvious. People talk a lot about the non taking of a penalty against Huddersfield but the five who stepped up didn't surprise me at all. If he didn't feel confidant, then let someone else go. Since that moment though the fans turned in my opinion.

Following season was a disaster for Wednesday in general. Started off with Carlos trying to play the same why with a side that seemed to have lost it's mojo. Jos came in and started him in his first two league games away at United and at home to Cardiff. Rhodes missed a couple of great chances in both games and I think that made Jos' mind up personally. I'd have liked us to have stuck with him but he seemed to drop out after that despite scoring the winner away at Hull.

Come to last season after a year away at Norwich, I think he did alright to be honest. Despite only getting three goals he did have good games, Swansea at home, Brentford at home, Derby away all spring to mind for good off the ball performances. What I don't seem to get is whenever he did play well, Monk (who I'm fully behind) seemed to drop him from the squad. How is that going to help his confidence?

Ultimately he's lost his confidence, you don't go from being the best striker outside the Premier League to where he is now. I still think if he gets service and a run in the team he'd get a decent amount, not the 30's and 40's of the past but a solid 15. You can't play him on his own, he needs someone round him. Let others do the work and get him in the box to finish the chances off.

He's been given the chances he deserves - why the excuses?  Why hasn't any other player been given this much support?

Atdhe Nuihu couldn't do anything right in most fans eyes  - Rhodes, a much worse player for us, can do wrong.

Bizarre.

( Oh and that last sentence..what striker wouldn't score goals if that happened?)

• Like 1

On 08/09/2020 at 18:16, Emilianenko said:

Yes the game when we put decent service in. Early crosses and he’s deadly. Constantly cutting inside or fannying around with it around the area and his movement is redundant.

But that's absolute rubbish,  we have played with wingers , created chances..either he hasn't been in position or he's been too slow and not clinical enough.

This is how you score goals - this is the last minute winner at Rotherham in the cup last season - Rhodes is getting nowhere near it despite it coming across much closer to him, yet the much maligned Nuhiu is further back with a defender wrapped around him yet still shook him off and battled to get on the end of the cross and stick it away. The other thing I remember from that game is when Rhodes was briefly put through on goal, got behind the defence, yet despite having a head start he got caught up and dispossessed by a 34 year old Richard Wood, make of that what you will.

Rhodes isn't scoring because he's either lost or given up on the will to get himself into the right positions to finish chances. He's never really had much pace or strength but he used to have that striker's instinct but it's long since deserted him.

_108533883_nuhiu.jpg.c8257cad1639813d029e7b7f024d72e6.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carbone said:

His chances of scoring when he’s sitting on the bench and not in GM’s plans are very low was my point, I wouldn’t be relying on him and suggesting we need his goals to stay up, what you’re saying is like Man Utd fans saying to have a good season they need Lee Grant to make decent saves.

Err no it isn't...

6 hours ago, alanharper said:

Yeah but he's a nice guy and you never lose that goalscoring instinct and he just needs a run of games and the right partner and the right service and the team playing to his strengths and oh I've just won on Jordan Rhodes Bingo. 

You forgot to mention something about giving a thumbs-up for a full house :laugh:

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

But that's absolute rubbish,  we have played with wingers , created chances..either he hasn't been in position or he's been too slow and not clinical enough.

Rubbish, we play with inverted wingers who always cut inside. The last winger we had who created chances was probably Ben Marshall.

4 hours ago, Bannofan said:

He's been given the chances he deserves - why the excuses?  Why hasn't any other player been given this much support?

Atdhe Nuihu couldn't do anything right in most fans eyes  - Rhodes, a much worse player for us, can do wrong.

Bizarre.

( Oh and that last sentence..what striker wouldn't score goals if that happened?)

1st point. I don't think he has, not consistent starts anyway. 2nd point. He's the club's record signing and has the on of the best goal scoring record s over the last 7 or 8 seasons at this level. To give up on him I think would be daft.

The Nuhiu comparison, I'm probably one of Atdhe's biggest fans so I know all about that debate and the lack of support for his strengths. But it's not really the same issue.

I will say I'm not hanging Wednesday's hopes of survival solely on Rhodes coming good, I don't think Monk is either but to be a part of the squad and contribute 10-15 goals. That isn't beyond him.

18 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Wasn't it Rotherham or Charlton when Nuhiu bulldozed his way past him to score an injury time winner with his head?? 

He's like having Adam reach up front these days god forbid..... 

Oh crap isn't he our new centre forward lol

18 hours ago, alanharper said:

Rhodes is getting nowhere near it

Err.. It was going to straight to Rhodes.. he was well positioned to finish. Adthe just battering rammed him out of the way.

The ball went in, so i'm fine with that.. but to highlight it was a failure on Rhodes part seems a bit silly.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Err.. It was going to straight to Rhodes.. he was well positioned to finish. Adthe just battering rammed him out of the way.

The ball went in, so i'm fine with that.. but to highlight it was a failure on Rhodes part seems a bit silly.

Yeah, that's why Rhodes was annoyed and doesn't immediately go to celebrate, thought it was his chance, then got flattened haha

We scored so from fans perspective all good.

24 minutes ago, cookeh said:

There no guarantee that Rhodes would have scored it.  The point was that Nuhiu was absolutely determined to score and bust a gut to get in position to do so despite the obstacles in his path. Which is something that I've never seen Rhodes do in 3.5 years. 

14 minutes ago, alanharper said:

There no guarantee that Rhodes would have scored it.  The point was that Nuhiu was absolutely determined to score and bust a gut to get in position to do so despite the obstacles in his path. Which is something that I've never seen Rhodes do in 3.5 years. 

Again, I'm not sure that's a bit criticism of Rhodes..

He was in the right place for that chance.. so that's good.

And that he doesn't flatten teammates who are well placed to score to try his own luck is.. not exactly terrbile, is it?

23 minutes ago, jomaco said:

Yeah, that's why Rhodes was annoyed and doesn't immediately go to celebrate, thought it was his chance, then got flattened haha

We scored so from fans perspective all good.

Yep, We got a goal, so all good.

Glad that Rhodes was annoyed as well. Shows he wants to score for us!

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
1 hour ago, cookeh said:

Again, I'm not sure that's a bit criticism of Rhodes..

He was in the right place for that chance.. so that's good.

And that he doesn't flatten teammates who are well placed to score to try his own luck is.. not exactly terrbile, is it?

Maybe dave didnt trust JR to stick it in..either we went bananas..it was a happy ending..

There’s loads of research showing how stress can have permanent effects on brain function and particularly the speed at which you can think situations through. He’s had a rough time with us and it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s just slowed down mentally. It’s such fine margins in the game now that a half second here or there and he’s no longer the player he once was. 

hope I’m wrong and the Beattie can turn him into a world-beater mind!