Rhodes

9 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

I get that but it wasn't that long ago he was banging them in for fun at this level when he was at Blackburn 

He left Blackburn 4 and a half years ago. Since then he's never managed double figures in a whole season.

That penalty decision of his and the Leeds miss must haunt him. What I would really like to have seen last weekend, is for him to DEMAND to take the first one against Walsall. Not exactly a huge pressure situation and a great chance to show the fans that his penalty yips are behind him. We don’t even know now, whether he would have been fifth or not do we?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

That penalty decision of his and the Leeds miss must haunt him. What I would really like to have seen last weekend, is for him to DEMAND to take the first one against Walsall. Not exactly a huge pressure situation and a great chance to show the fans that his penalty yips are behind him. We don’t even know now, whether he would have been fifth or not do we?

Maybe its an ego thing he wanted the fifth pen to be the HERO😁

• Haha 1

Not read through the whole thread so don't know if anyone will have said similar.

In my opinion he's just not had his strengths played to whilst here and never been given a regular run to try and settle.

He's currently playing under his 4th Wednesday manager, none of which have played to his strengths and actually attack well and get decent balls into the box.

He's nursed a few injuries and also had a loan spell because we seemed to just throw money at a load of strikers and not really have a clue what we were doing.

I also don't believe he's not arsed, the snippets we here from fellow pros all say he's a top professional and he seems like a genuine bloke in his interviews. 

Just a weird situation, but it does happen at different clubs. Football is transient, it still baffles me why people get so hateful and angry about it.

I'm almost at the point where it's uncomfortable when Rhodes scores due to the mind-numbing regularity of pipe-dream cliches:

"is this the turning point"

"can Rhodes kick on from here"

"strikers score in runs, this could be the beginning of his return to form"

"he looked like the old Jordan Rhodes today"

"his finishing is razor sharp in training, it was a matter of time"

IMO these are nothing but desperation, sadly.

He is far too easy to play against, has lost his killer instinct and seems bereft of all physicality. 

Sad to see, but reality.

EDIT: To be clear - I still REALLY want him to score. But I wish we would just be allowed to enjoy each goal for what it is. ONE. GOAL

Edited by McRightSide
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, tomhollywood said:

In my opinion he's... never been given a regular run to try and settle.

He started something like 16 of the first 20 games after he arrived and settled in with 3 goals. Since then, he has done nothing to earn another such sequence, even being largely ignored during two injury crises. Even his otherwise productive time at Blackburn ended in similar fashion (17+1 appearances, 4 goals).

This slump of his, that is apparently only caused by a uniquely bad short-term situation here, has now lasted for 5 years, 2 divisions, 4 clubs, 9 managers and God knows how many changes of team mates and tactics.

• Thanks 1

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

He started something like 16 of the first 20 games after he arrived and settled in with 3 goals. Since then, he has done nothing to earn another such sequence, even being largely ignored during two injury crises. Even his otherwise productive time at Blackburn ended in similar fashion (17+1 appearances, 4 goals).

This slump of his, that is apparently only caused by a uniquely bad short-term situation here, has now lasted for 5 years, 2 divisions, 4 clubs, 9 managers and God knows how many changes of team mates and tactics.

image.gif.2783728329ed2d76c7c5405ecb4461e8.gif

49 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Yeah but he's a nice guy and you never lose that goalscoring instinct and he just needs a run of games and the right partner and the right service and the team playing to his strengths and oh I've just won on Jordan Rhodes Bingo. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Rhodes came in under the most pressure of any signing at Wednesday. Record signing joining a club he'd been linked with for ages and a team in a very good position to get promoted. It started well with an assist on debut away at Wigan before a home debut goal against Birmingham. I actually think his performances in 16/17 were decent for us without much reward. We didn't play to his strengths, that was obvious. People talk a lot about the non taking of a penalty against Huddersfield but the five who stepped up didn't surprise me at all. If he didn't feel confidant, then let someone else go. Since that moment though the fans turned in my opinion.

Following season was a disaster for Wednesday in general. Started off with Carlos trying to play the same why with a side that seemed to have lost it's mojo. Jos came in and started him in his first two league games away at United and at home to Cardiff. Rhodes missed a couple of great chances in both games and I think that made Jos' mind up personally. I'd have liked us to have stuck with him but he seemed to drop out after that despite scoring the winner away at Hull.

Come to last season after a year away at Norwich, I think he did alright to be honest. Despite only getting three goals he did have good games, Swansea at home, Brentford at home, Derby away all spring to mind for good off the ball performances. What I don't seem to get is whenever he did play well, Monk (who I'm fully behind) seemed to drop him from the squad. How is that going to help his confidence?

Ultimately he's lost his confidence, you don't go from being the best striker outside the Premier League to where he is now. I still think if he gets service and a run in the team he'd get a decent amount, not the 30's and 40's of the past but a solid 15. You can't play him on his own, he needs someone round him. Let others do the work and get him in the box to finish the chances off.

Brilliant post.

15 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

It's not a delusion. He has had games where he's done well off the ball. Brentford at home for example, he turned the game. Opened it up for Fletcher to take advantage.

Between 2012 and 2016 Rhodes was the best striker outside the Premier League. I don't think you'll find many who would argue that. Middlesbrough bought him, Karanka didn't want him but they went for him anyway. He did alright there in a formation that didn't suit him at all. Scored some important goals for them as they went up.

And there’s the delusion, attempting to suggest that the last 4 years haven’t been a failure because in some games he’s done well off the ball lol

If he’s so brilliant and just needs the service, why hasn’t every team trying to get promoted done whatever it takes to sign him in these past few years? (I don’t count Norwich having him on the bench)

Your original post basically said he just needs the service now and he’ll start banging them in, there’s the delusion.

Edited by Carbone

52 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Well, as things stand  if he doesn't start banging a few in, we will be relegated..no presh then Jord's.

🤔

He’s not even going to be starting for us.

I’m sure everyone here saying he’s finished like myself would be incredibly happy if he went and scored 15-25 goals this season, but that just doesn’t happen to strikers who go out of form for 4 years.