Rhodes

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

I'm 48, overweight and unfit, have never played football at a decent level, but I reckon if the entire team setup and game plan was changed to work on providing me with open goals 6 yards out I'd bag 20 a season easy.

It's nonsense isn't it? A few tap ins will get the children giddy as if football is about nothing else. They're essentially advocating we play much of the game a man down just so Rhodes might have a chance to rescue his reputation. We don't have the players to create that many chances and he would probably miss most of them even if we did. 

1 hour ago, 109Waddle said:

Pretty sure Rhodes has had his fair share of abuse. I think fans show a bit of tolerance, as with winnall, because he doesn’t seem to get a decent run of games to put any sort of form together. Plus, he was a key part of the Norwich squad that got promoted to the premier league while on loan from us. It’s a puzzle as to why he hasn’t done well here but for me there’s more to it than him losing his way. He’s a good striker at this level.

From memory, I think he started 16 of the first 20 games after he arrived at Hillsborough and scored a paltry 3 goals. His strike rate hasn't improved since. Apart from that unlikely hat trick at Forest, he's currently on a run of 1 goal in his last 17+14 appearances.

As for Norwich, they scored 93 times that season and finished 11 points clear of the play off positions. I doubt his 6 goals made that much difference, especially as the first 2 of them came in defeats.

57 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Yes the game when we put decent service in. Early crosses and he’s deadly. Constantly cutting inside or fannying around with it around the area and his movement is redundant.

Even his game for the ages that 'proved' what the magic formula is only saw 1 goal that met that kind of description, and to be fair, a wheelie bin placed there would have struggled to miss such a free header from 6 yards. All he had to do was avoid the keeper.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Emilianenko said:

Yes the game when we put decent service in. Early crosses and he’s deadly. Constantly cutting inside or fannying around with it around the area and his movement is redundant.

So you're honestly saying that for only 1 game in the last 4 years have we put balls in the box?  I really fail to understand why after all this time people STILL think he's got something.  The same people would be slagging Atdhe off and calling him a donkey.  It's just weird.  We got this one horribly wrong, it's that simple.  If he were so good teams would be lining up to sign/loan him, they aren't.

Just not bothered...

4 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

So you're honestly saying that for only 1 game in the last 4 years have we put balls in the box?  I really fail to understand why after all this time people STILL think he's got something.  The same people would be slagging Atdhe off and calling him a donkey.  It's just weird.  We got this one horribly wrong, it's that simple.  If he were so good teams would be lining up to sign/loan him, they 

He is a donkey..ffs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brando said:

Hardly queuing to sign Nuhui are they..

That's not the point is it. Arguing the merits of Nuhiu and Rhodes is akin to two bald men fighting over a comb.

Nuhiu was more effective than Rhodes at scoring, holding the ball up, bringing others into play and giving us a chance of getting further up field than Rhodes has been though, for a fraction of the cost.

1 hour ago, Emilianenko said:

There will be plenty more fannying around with it if Rhodes doesn’t play on Saturday. Can’t bare the thought of reach up top again. 

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Would I prefer Rhodes or a top and on-form Championship striker leading our line early season? 

Easy - not Rhodes. 

But would I prefer Rhodes or Windass or Kachunga? 

Just as easy - Rhodes. 

What about Reach though? Monkmanface

That last Forest game was really odd. He seemed a very different player, attempting to put the ball into the net from different positions and ways. Fletcher did make him some space, or at least attracted the attention of defenders close to him. I cannot see him fight for the ball, if he is used, he needs a Fletcher-type of pair to do it instead.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Carbone said:

He never scored goals in a good team. Like Bony who went to Man City, was very good at average sides before that and failed at City.

I've never known our fanbase be so patient with one player. Others get abuse after a couple of bad performances, after nearly 4 years of nothing some of our fans still say "he just needs the service".

What good teams did he play for ?

And if he thrives on average why isn't he doing it now ? 

It’s an Owlstalk myth that we create lots of chances for Rhodes, we don’t. Can anyone say that he misses lots off chances? We fanny around with it and go backwards. Put the ball in the box early like against Forest and he’s deadly. Knockdown from Fletch and he was on it in an instant to drill an unstoppable left foot shot into the corner. Reach puts the ball in early and guess who’s got between markers to bullet a header in the corner of the net again. Followed it up with an overhead kick with his right foot for the perfect hat-trick. After Bannan actually put in a decent corner for once. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

True but even when we did attack under Carlos in his first couple of seasons he wasn't the player he once was and he was only 27/28 at the time

He was a dud a Boro. Barely played in the season they signed him. 
The money this club spent on him and Abdi. 
Catastophic.

2 hours ago, Captain Scarlett said:

I am of that age that remembers having 3 forwards and 2 wingers to supply crosses and depending on the length of the cross one of the 3 would have a shot on goal or head it.

And if they weren't in a good position pass it to one of the other two forwards who were lurking in and around the 6 yard box.

Now it seems the fashion to play ONE forward or in our case last Saturday NONE...........

It seems common sense to me that the more shots  you get in and test the goalkeeper the more likely you are to score.

Modern tactics are a step backwards in my opinion.

Our team would get ripped apart playing just 2 centre midfielders and no full-backs.

One game at Forest                    1+0 appearances, 3 goals.

Rest of his Owls career            41+33 appearances, 10 goals.

Current form                             18+14 appearances, 4 goals.

But guess which of those statistics we're expected to believe is the real Jordan Rhodes?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, A12owl said:

This is owlstalk Emil. 

Most follow opinions of others either good or bad. Once an opinion is made about a player there is no change available. 

And that's not true for those who think Rhodes can still be a top goalscorer despite his ongoing FIVE YEAR slump? Steven Fletcher and even Atdhe Nuhiu needed only four months to be involved in more goals than our record signing's entire Wednesday career. Yet the lack of goals is because there has been no supply (only for one man it seems).

10 minutes ago, A12owl said:

I agree that no manager has exploited Rhodes poaching skills. All he is good at is putting the ball in the net if somebody else sticks it in front of him in the 6 yard box. If that's what has to be done to get him scoring then do it. If he scored 20 goals in a season and a few others contributed a few more then most would be happy. There would still be some who would criticise Rhodes about something. 

It's a hollow and self-fulfilling prophecy. If he scores, like he did at Forest, then it 'proves' his brilliance. But if he doesn't, like 90% of the time, then it's everyone else's fault. If your terms are no more sophisticated than that, he can't lose and the myth persists. You could make the same case for Bobby Charlton still being an effective goalscorer like that.

Edited by DJMortimer