Rhodes

What has happened to him?

I remember whenever we played opposition teams he was in i'd fear the worst as he was deadly. That 4-4 Huddersfield match still gives me nightmares to this day

Like most I was chuffed to bits when we signed him although at the time I wasn't sure about the fee as it seemed excessive but he was a guarenteed goalscorer so it didn't seem such a risk

3 years on and he's a shadow of his former self, the poacher that once struck fear into defences just doesn't seem to have it in him anymore although his hat-trick away at Forest last season would suggest otherwise. They weren't lucky deflections or tap ins but clinical finishes

Is it a matter of tactics, bad management or is he genuinely not interested? 

• Love 1

Just now, Pressman 1 said:

Pace has gone along with his belief, however gets little service here spends half his time going backwards he is a box man and we don't exactly attack games do we 

True but even when we did attack under Carlos in his first couple of seasons he wasn't the player he once was and he was only 27/28 at the time

Just now, thewookieisdown said:

That Huddersfield game was almost nine years ago; and in a lower league

I get that but it wasn't that long ago he was banging them in for fun at this level when he was at Blackburn 

He never scored goals in a good team. Like Bony who went to Man City, was very good at average sides before that and failed at City.

I've never known our fanbase be so patient with one player. Others get abuse after a couple of bad performances, after nearly 4 years of nothing some of our fans still say "he just needs the service".

• Like 4

Confidence and belief I think. He’s never been that quick or physical but he seemed to think quicker than the opponent and anticipate things better.

Perhaps with the move to more technical players this hasn’t helped as the game is more about speed and quick thinking now. But some of the chances missed, his general demeanour and those pea roller pens just make me think he has lost his way. He seemed to re find it when he arrived here and got a home debut goal but that penalty miss at Leeds saw him crumble from there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

Confidence and belief I think. He’s never been that quick or physical but he seemed to think quicker than the opponent and anticipate things better.

Perhaps with the move to more technical players this hasn’t helped as the game is more about speed and quick thinking now. But some of the chances missed, his general demeanour and those pea roller pens just make me think he has lost his way. He seemed to re find it when he arrived here and got a home debut goal but that penalty miss at Leeds saw him crumble from there.

Agreed, he's thrived when he's been around poor-average players by Championship standard. 

Just now, Carbone said:

He never scored goals in a good team. Like Bony who went to Man City, was very good at average sides before that and failed at City.

I've never known our fanbase be so patient with one player. Others get abuse after a couple of bad performances, after nearly 4 years of nothing some of our fans still say "he just needs the service".

The huge fee we splashed out probably has a lot to do with it

It's hope more than anything else

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
4 minutes ago, Carbone said:

Are you implying we’re a good team? :duntmatter:

He was bought to guarantee us promotion and appease the supporters.

He went very, very close to winning us the play-off semi V Huddersfield in extra time.

He didn’t take a penalty in the shoot out although Hutch and FF missed theirs.

(He missed a big one at Leeds previously).

The rest is history really but not everything in life works out unfortunately.

He was a shadow of his former self before we paid all that money for him He’s never been a great footballer but thrived in an era when forwards weren’t expected to contribute in other areas He’s failed to adapt his own game, as the game itself has changed.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

He was bought to guarantee us promotion and appease the supporters.

He went very, very close to winning us the play-off semi V Huddersfield in extra time.

He didn’t take a penalty in the shoot out although Hutch and FF missed theirs.

(He missed a big one at Leeds previously).

The rest is history really but not everything in life works out unfortunately.

Did he miss a good chance? I genuinely can’t remember.

I remember thinking FF was about to score from 6 yards.

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He was a shadow of his former self before we paid all that money for him He’s never been a great footballer but thrived in an era when forwards weren’t expected to contribute in other areas He’s failed to adapt his own game, as the game itself has changed.

Not sure it’s just that. Tell that to Billy Sharp or the Forest defence last season.

Its something down to him as an individual. I think he seems like a good guy and perhaps even too nice at times and football seems an unforgiving profession 

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Spot on. It is a different game to when he was scoring had driedup before we signed him. Was a poor decision.