Rhodes

34 minutes ago, the monk said:

What good teams did he play for ?

And if he thrives on average why isn't he doing it now ? 

He hasn’t scored and played for good teams, that’s my point, he was best in League One and a poor Blackburn side.

He came to us and his confidence was obviously shattered after a disastrous first season, you don’t tend to see players recover from 4 years out of form like he is now. Absolutely, Rhodes probably would be suited to us right now if he was the player he was 4 years ago, but that player no longer exists 

I am absolutely sick of talking about Rhodes. The responsibility to get his goal scoring form back lies with him. He needs to find a way to start scoring again; nobody can do that for him. I’d suggest stepping up to take penalties is an opportunity he should have grasped with both hands. Alas...

Edited by shandypants
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

It's nonsense isn't it? A few tap ins will get the children giddy as if football is about nothing else. They're essentially advocating we play much of the game a man down just so Rhodes might have a chance to rescue his reputation. We don't have the players to create that many chances and he would probably miss most of them even if we did. 

From memory, I think he started 16 of the first 20 games after he arrived at Hillsborough and scored a paltry 3 goals. His strike rate hasn't improved since. Apart from that unlikely hat trick at Forest, he's currently on a run of 1 goal in his last 17+14 appearances.

As for Norwich, they scored 93 times that season and finished 11 points clear of the play off positions. I doubt his 6 goals made that much difference, especially as the first 2 of them came in defeats.

Even his game for the ages that 'proved' what the magic formula is only saw 1 goal that met that kind of description, and to be fair, a wheelie bin placed there would have struggled to miss such a free header from 6 yards. All he had to do was avoid the keeper.

So hat tricks don’t count now lol. 

Add them to penalties and tap ins.

5 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

I get that but it wasn't that long ago he was banging them in for fun at this level when he was at Blackburn 

That's 5 or 6 years ago now too. 

He's basically a lower level version of Torres who went from top 3 in the world to a shadow of himself almost overnight, then Chelsea paid millions for him and he failed 

33 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

That's 5 or 6 years ago now too. 

He's basically a lower level version of Torres who went from top 3 in the world to a shadow of himself almost overnight, then Chelsea paid millions for him and he failed 

Yeah. Won the Golden boot at the euros and the champions league.

I wish my off years were like that.

• Haha 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
5 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

He's a flake. At the end of the day what sort of centre forward won't take a penalty? He's not even willing to work on that issue by talking one v Walsall in the 1st round of the league cup

Unfair. He could have been down for penalty number 5. We don’t know.

26 minutes ago, Django said:

It’s all very strange. He just looks constantly miles off the pace. It’s not as if he’s consistently missing chances either, he’s nowhere near

Indeed, think back to games Rhodes has played in a part from Forest and remember him having an attempt on goal?.. nope I’ve got nothing.  I’d love to see his goal attempt stats in an owls shirt 

Guest Therealrealist
5 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

You think torres at Chelsea was as good as when he was in his prime at Liverpool? 

I'll have whatever you're on

Players can’t be in their prime all the time or it wudnt be called their prime..I wud say Rhodes prime was when he scored 4 against us..and that was 9 years ago..and I think it’s fair to say he’s been in a steady decline ever since..so now we are in his 9th year of this steady decline🤨

Edited by Therealrealist

Just now, Therealrealist said:

Players can’t be in their prime all the time or it wudnt be called their prime..I wud say Rhodes prime was when he scored 4 against us..and that was 9 years ago

Agreed, my point was torres was unplayable for a time at his level, then almost overnight lost that magic and became a more workman like forward. Rhodes to a much lesser level was lethal, then again almost overnight has lost the sparkle he had. It won't come back imo

Guest Therealrealist
1 minute ago, fudge27 said:

Agreed, my point was torres was unplayable for a time at his level, then almost overnight lost that magic and became a more workman like forward. Rhodes to a much lesser level was lethal, then again almost overnight has lost the sparkle he had. It won't come back imo

Rhodes didn’t lose it overnight imo..but I know what your sayin