Rhodes

I am of that age that remembers having 3 forwards and 2 wingers to supply crosses and depending on the length of the cross one of the 3 would have a shot on goal or head it.

And if they weren't in a good position pass it to one of the other two forwards who were lurking in and around the 6 yard box.

Now it seems the fashion to play ONE forward or in our case last Saturday NONE...........

It seems common sense to me that the more shots  you get in and test the goalkeeper the more likely you are to score.

Modern tactics are a step backwards in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Captain Scarlett said:

I am of that age that remembers having 3 forwards and 2 wingers to supply crosses and depending on the length of the cross one of the 3 would have a shot on goal or head it.

And if they weren't in a good position pass it to one of the other two forwards who were lurking in and around the 6 yard box.

Now it seems the fashion to play ONE forward or in our case last Saturday NONE...........

It seems common sense to me that the more shots  you get in and test the goalkeeper the more likely you are to score.

Modern tactics are a step backwards in my opinion.

Hard to say that when you look at the skill levels of our top players, England’s I mean, not ours

1 hour ago, IWEDFM said:

What has happened to him?

I remember whenever we played opposition teams he was in i'd fear the worst as he was deadly. That 4-4 Huddersfield match still gives me nightmares to this day

Like most I was chuffed to bits when we signed him although at the time I wasn't sure about the fee as it seemed excessive but he was a guarenteed goalscorer so it didn't seem such a risk

3 years on and he's a shadow of his former self, the poacher that once struck fear into defences just doesn't seem to have it in him anymore although his hat-trick away at Forest last season would suggest otherwise. They weren't lucky deflections or tap ins but clinical finishes

Is it a matter of tactics, bad management or is he genuinely not interested? 

Bet he wishes he could play against defences like he did in that 4-4 game every week.

Yeah, he looked quick enough that day when he outstripped Reda and Jones I think it was, to rifle in his fourth goal! 

I must admit I thought he looked a bit flabby the other day when he put his shirt on at Walsall.  Maybe even he doesn’t think he’s gonna get a sniff. Sad decline and I’d be delighted if Beattie gave him his confidence back. 

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He needs to drop down a division, where the game is more suited to his style. As much as I think he’s wrong for us in the championship, had we been relegated, I would have backed him to fire us to promotion

He's not tough enough for league one or two.... the defenders would just have to whisper ...boooo...in his ear and he'd be off the pitch.

23 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Carlos seemed to want him to be a target man and have Winnall playoff him. That seemed to be the dynamic when they played anyway.

As is painfull obvious to everyone but carlos, Rhodes isn't a target man.

Against Leicester, Rhodes' movement and energy was good, he was where you'd want him to be when you'd want him to be there, so that bodes well should he actually get a run of games under Monk finally.

Really. I was considering watching it back to see what I had missed but I'm not that much of a glutton for punishment. We played better once he had gone off.

Two things for me...the game has changed massively over the course of the last 3-4 years. Traditional wingers and wide players are a dying trade. Modern day wide players often play on their weaker side and cut in and try to score themselves with wide service often from fullbacks...hence clubs searching for the next TAA and Robertson, spending big money on FB’s/WB’s.

He’s simply lost the belief in himself, which as a striker is massive...I could honestly see him dropping to L2 when he’s finished here. 

1 hour ago, Carbone said:

Agreed, he's thrived when he's been around poor-average players by Championship standard. 

Should shine in this team then surely? 

Not meaning to be Mr Negative or have a go at the players we have, but there are not many world beaters are there?

27 minutes ago, alanharper said:

He's had plenty of starts at Wednesday, particularly in his first year and a half, and he just hasn't delivered.

As for being "a key part of the Norwich squad that got promoted" - he didn't play more than 20 minutes in a game for them that season after the end of October.  In their final 30 league games there were 24 games when he either didn't play (12 times) or got on for 5 minutes or less (also 12 times)

I take your point re game time at Norwich but they were after him again the following season. They obviously saw something in him that we haven’t or have failed to get out of him. 

Guest Therealrealist
36 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

He wouldn't have been available on a free, not without us paying Middlesbrough £4m pound to do so.

Yes..and by keeping him we will still have had to pay 4 mill to boro..plus 2 years wages to him..what a saving it was keeping him🙄

Looking at his body language and even how he interviews these days he looks lost.i really think somethings happened away from football with this guy and he's lost his way not just in football....no passion for a game that eats up anyone letting it and I feel he's let it..just don't see someone with desire or any sort of fire in his gut at all