Rhodes

There's absolutely zero point in getting hyped here... this is Sheffield Wednesday and false-dawns are our speciality. The hatrick at Forest was perhaps the most misleading sign of a turnaround I've ever seen from a footballer.

But it really is great to see him scoring such a "Jordan Rhodes"-type goal... and you can't complain with a record of one league game, one goal. Let's just hope he can take some positive momentum and a bit of confidence forward and do what he needs to do this season. 

Good luck Mr Rhodes.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

There's absolutely zero point in getting hyped here... this is Sheffield Wednesday and false-dawns are our speciality. The hatrick at Forest was perhaps the most misleading sign of a turnaround I've ever seen from a footballer.

He had a nice partnership with Fletcher there, but was then dropped quite soon. As he's clearly a confidence player, that won't work.

But once again, I think he's the happiest Wednesday player today.

1 minute ago, IWEDFM said:

Tell that to DJ Mortimer

You need to grow up. At one point this afternoon, 5 of my last 8 notifications were you repeating this lip quivering childishness. And you're still going three hours later.

Rhodes' record of the last 5 years has been abysmal. It's not up for debate. Going forward, I'm only concerned at this point with us getting the points we need to stay in this division. Who scores the goals, makes the saves or kisses the badge are of much less importance.

• Like 1

That goal will no doubt be a huge weight lifted off his shoulders. 

Getting that first goal will certainly ease the pressure.  

Hopefully Jordan gets a start against Rochdale, a big opportunity to get some more goals and build up some much needed confidence.  

Like many I'm finding it hard to feel too positive about Rhodes just yet, having been burned by the false dawn Forest provided.

He never seems effective off the bench, so perhaps starting more regular games will help him. That and Beattie should make a big difference.

He's lucky to even have this last chance with us, so it's up to him but maybe we finally start playing to his strengths more too.

• Like 1

Classic Rhodes goal today, that's literally all I want from him . He's not going to hold the ball up, link up play, run on to a through ball etc, etc. But, if he can nick one of those with a bit of regularity it'd be good enough.

I remember thinking maybe he'd turned a corner after hist hat-trick at Forest.....

• Thanks 1

DJMortimer is right, and it is ridiculous to suggest one goal changes everything and that Rhodes doesn’t have a terrible record. This really isn’t a “HA!” moment at anyone who states Rhodes has had a terrible time here, because that’s just a fact.

I hope it’s the first of many goals for Rhodes this season and I’d love to be able to laugh at myself for saying he’s finished, but the evidence is there, and it’s stupid to suggest one goal has erased history. It’s not negative and getting on at our players to suggest this, it’s merely saying that going “HA!” to people who have doubted him is very premature - let’s see what his goal tally is at the end of the season.

Good luck to him, hopefully he sees this season as a new start and can show us all what we’ve not seen for 4 years. What we’ve seen would suggest it’s one of few goals, but I would love to be wrong.

• Like 2