Windass - Bid accepted

Him and Murphy the positive loans IMO

da Cruz failed to impress

wickham did OK but for me not worth the wages and didn’t do enough , also what’s the point in assembling a team of players who failed to deliver last season? Murphy and windass only ones who had decent records 

I rate Josh Windass, was effective in a front 2 and for me would be very well suited to the number 10, behind a CF. High energy, works incredibly hard and he's got quality on the ball. What is not to like?

We need to be flexible with our approaches to games, we aren't just going to play a 3-5-2 and stick to it.

We need to be able to easily revert to a back 4, we need players who are comfortable in a midfield 4 or 3, we need fullbacks and wingbacks. We need forwards that can play the lone striker role, play in a pair or in a  3.

The balance of the squad is crucial and the most important part of this period.

I was a bit concerned that we would be relying on the young lads, Shaw, Hunt etc. Those boys still need a bit of time and it seems Monk knows this.

The addition of Dunkley was a huge positive, an experienced CB that knows the division inside out.

Izzy Brown is a quality addition to midfield and he's played many games at this level.

Windass would be another top addition, adding relative experience with time to develop further.

Very happy so far.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Windass got 3 in 9 for us , not a bad return and was one of the only players who could get in behind , it’s a solid signing. If he keeps fit he should be capable of double figures 

how many games was he injured for during his time with us? 3 in 9 is very decent for someone that isn’t classed as an out and out striker. 

• Like 2

Howson saying we are edging closer to him. 

No complaints from me. 7 goals in 24 appearances last season in a stop start season is a decent return. On top of that he arrived with an injury.

I’m excited to see what a fully fit Josh Windass can do. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Didnt he prove against QPR that he could do that.  If you excuse a few missed chances.  Understand what you mean about where he may play, but we dont know where Monk is going to play him. Perhaps he is planning on playing Brown and Windass off a main striker. 

To me he seems like a relatively cheap player who have already been bedded in at the club and can play in a variety of positions. 

Good signing of you ask me.

Never saw best of him last year just getting fit before lockdown happenedthen had that injury just before restart.  

Good signing if it comes off

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Howard said:

Just read Wigan supporters comments on him . Seems universal that the are very happy to see the back of him .Not what we need to hear 

They also said they werent sad to see Dunkley go. Think it's just what fans do. The fact that 3 clubs are interested in him shows me he must not be all that bad. Useful squad player imo.

7 minutes ago, John Howard said:

Just read Wigan supporters comments on him . Seems universal that the are very happy to see the back of him .Not what we need to hear 

Does it really matter what they think? He's spent plenty of time at the club, clearly if he was toxic or problematic we wouldn't be trying to secure his return.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anston Owl said:

Way I see it I am not sure I am as excited as some about the signings. Think some if the excitement is just we are signing someone after years of little activity. However, closer examination concerns me a little.

Dunkley (part of Wigan team when defence was porous- they got better when he was injured), Windass not a Wigan regular and was a bit meh to ne when I saw him and did not even nail down a regular spot. Brown who was part of a poor team in Luton and has had about 5 loans already...there is talent there but if Bielsa and others could not get him to play consistently not sure Monk will...I might be wrong. 

Maybe these 3 will squad players which is better but as starters I'd worry if these 3 are regulars based on current career trajectory of the lads...all 3 seem to have lost their way a bit. 

Suppose we needed fresh blood with so many leaving but the signings so far are mid to lower Champ for me. That's about where we were so not sure they suddenly hugely improve us especially as we will start on such a handicap but the issue is we needed players...Any players really and at least these lads are wanting to play for us. Not easy to attract lads for a probable relegation battle. 

Just my thoughts.

We do seem to have a bit more pace/athletic ability. Key is to gey a good stsrt as if we are entrenched worry we have enough fighters currently but we will see who else comes in.

Yep have to agree with you here. I also don't share the excitement of others.

We are signing average players at best. I know we hardly have a choice but staying up will be a tall order that's for sure.

Wasn’t hugely impressed in the games I saw him, but that wasn’t too many so I’ll reserve judgement. He does seem like a handy linkman who’s hardworking, but he doesn’t seem to be the finisher we need. Still if he’s still improving and the fee is reasonable, then I trust judgment of people in this thread who’ve seen him more often.

He can get in behind defences which is something we desperately need.