Windass - Bid accepted

20 hours ago, GMOwl72 said:

Up to him then I guess but we should only want players that want to come. Fed up of mercenaries chasing the cash.

If his head is turned by the coin (I don’t care how short a players career is) then he needs to go elsewhere.

Where does it say anything about cash?

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

I think we've all got to realise that there's no way we're going to get a proven striker, got to just hope that whoever comes in just clicks and has the season of his life

I suppose the point is, Windass is 26 and we have a good idea that he is not suddenly going to click and become prolific. If he has a good season, he might reach double figures. If he is one of your two strikers, the other one needs to be prolific

19 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

I think we've all got to realise that there's no way we're going to get a proven striker, got to just hope that whoever comes in just clicks and has the season of his life

I'm sure the management team know where the weakness are and will endeavor to get a proven striker. There's no reason why we can't - every club in the championship will start with at least two recognized strikers. We have Rhodes, who successive managers/coaches haven't played.

Hopefully will move away from these 'nearly strikers' who seem to play deeper, wider and not quite out and out. We've seemed to have collected these over the last few years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Where does it say anything about cash?

It doesn’t. It. Simply says other clubs are interested.
My point is quite simple - if he wants to play for Wednesday and he knows we are interested and have had a bid accepted by his club then he will sign.

We have been paying his wages for the last 5 months which he seems happy with. I’m sure a permanent deal with us would improve this as well.

If he wants to talk to other clubs and see what their offers are then he will do that. 

Edited by GMOwl72

Other than the QPR game where they were useless and he missed a hat full of chances I just see this as more dead wood. Isn't he supposed to be known for being disruptive in the dressing room.... Don't know if that's true but if so what happened to Monk crying about players having the right mentality....? Bit of a oh under whelming...... What's the point of a clear out if you replace them with more could have been.....

3 hours ago, agentwalker said:

We also tried that recently too. That turned out well

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ashley8 said:

Other than the QPR game where they were useless and he missed a hat full of chances I just see this as more dead wood. Isn't he supposed to be known for being disruptive in the dressing room.... Don't know if that's true but if so what happened to Monk crying about players having the right mentality....? Bit of a oh under whelming...... What's the point of a clear out if you replace them with more could have been.....

Who said he is disruptive?

We need more goal scoring attacking midfielders (possibly windass' best position rather than front 2), not only do they increase the chance of winning but push the team further up the pitch and, by default, create more chances for the strikers (rhodes or otherwise)

Put some discipline in there so they keep shape and press without the ball it's a good combination.

Windass and Brown would be, in my opinion, a good starting point for this.

• Like 1

I think these rumours of Windass being a disruptive element in the dressing room have come from Wigan fans so no real basis to them. I read somewhere that his dad, Dean had a habit of shouting his mouth off behind the scenes and this ruffled a few feathers with the management at Wigan.

I've no idea what the truth is, but if he was a disruptive influence, I can't see him being someone Garry Monk would be looking to bring into the team he's building. It's not like Monk doesn't have a history of isolating players that have caused issues behind the scenes.

Windass was also given his first big break at Accrington by none other than James Beatie, so there is already a good working partnership there.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I suppose the point is, Windass is 26 and we have a good idea that he is not suddenly going to click and become prolific. If he has a good season, he might reach double figures. If he is one of your two strikers, the other one needs to be prolific

We’ve finished 6th and 4th without a prolific striker. We need a few players capable of getting double figures. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Windass is your archetypal forward for the high press; he’s a hard runner. I don’t know if he’ll become prolific but I’m sure he’ll score enough goals to stay in the starting eleven. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

We’ve finished 6th and 4th without a prolific striker. We need a few players capable of getting double figures. 

Very very good point

Leed’s top scorer was Bamford with 16. 

WBA’s top scorer was Austin with 11. 

You need goals from all over the team. Not suggesting a 20 goal striker won’t help but it’s not half as essential as people suggest. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Very very good point

Leed’s top scorer was Bamford with 16. 

WBA’s top scorer was Austin with 11. 

You need goals from all over the team. Not suggesting a 20 goal striker won’t help but it’s not half as essential as people suggest. 

Exactly, it's more important to be effective as a team defensively and attacking to do well at this level. We look to be bringing in younger, more dynamic and athletic players. Hopefully we'll be more solid defensively as a team but also more threatening going forward too. We'll need goals from across the team, players up for the battle and players who suit how we want to play. The signings have looked positive so far, so hopefully we have learnt from past mistakes and we'll be more effective as a team and harder to beat. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris Apolon said:

We need more goal scoring attacking midfielders (possibly windass' best position rather than front 2), not only do they increase the chance of winning but push the team further up the pitch and, by default, create more chances for the strikers (rhodes or otherwise)

Put some discipline in there so they keep shape and press without the ball it's a good combination.

In theory they do, but in reality, it just means that Bannan becomes the defensive midfielder, and we leak goals faster than we can score them

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

In theory they do, but in reality, it just means that Bannan becomes the defensive midfielder, and we leak goals faster than we can score them

It depends what the tactics may be and if we sign a proper defensive midfielder which I hope we do! Also, where bannan fits in the picture.

An interesting quandary to have

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I agree it isn’t essential, but let’s be real about this. We‘ll get hardly any goals from the midfield trio of Bannan, Brown and Pelupessy, or whoever the defensive midfielder is. It’s anyone’s guess how many Odubajo and Harris, the wing backs, would get. My guess is, not many at all. Dunkley might mean that we can expect a few more from the centre backs, but we’re probably not talking double figures here. 
So, although I agree with you, that it isn’t essential to have a prolific striker, in our case, if Windass is the second striker, having one would be preferable 

1 hour ago, Chris Apolon said:

A effective defensive midfielder and a more solid defence will be key to allow the likes of Bannan; FDB, Brown or Windass, etc and the wing backs to attack and to create and support whoever we bring in to play upfront. It's looking good at present with the acquisitions and linked players being players with attributes we have lacked. Just think we still lack a midfield beast/defensive midfielder and goals but we should be more solid, dynamic and effective as a team, and the goals may become more spread out across the team. 

2 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

A effective defensive midfielder and a more solid defence will be key to allow the likes of Bannan; FDB, Brown or Windass, etc and the wing backs to attack and to create and support whoever we bring in to play upfront. It's looking good at present with the acquisitions and linked players being players with attributes we have lacked. Just think we still lack a midfield beast/defensive midfielder and goals but we should be more solid, dynamic and effective as a team, and the goals may become more spread out across the team. 

I agree; part of the "goals from midfield" needs to be confidence to take the ball forward without leaving gaping holes which is part of bannans problem (getting frustrated and keeping too deep to make something happen)

Without someone to retrieve the ball after we lose it or to make sure we keep our shape with the forward line pressing we are open to counter attacks.

My personal belief is the right defensive midfield needs to be more of a priority than striker in some respect as a striker wont be in the positions to score and the attack minded midfield won't push forward without this confidence even if we had Ronaldo (the original) up front

• Like 1