Windass - Bid accepted

21 hours ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

I rate Josh Windass, was effective in a front 2 and for me would be very well suited to the number 10, behind a CF. High energy, works incredibly hard and he's got quality on the ball. What is not to like?

We need to be flexible with our approaches to games, we aren't just going to play a 3-5-2 and stick to it.

We need to be able to easily revert to a back 4, we need players who are comfortable in a midfield 4 or 3, we need fullbacks and wingbacks. We need forwards that can play the lone striker role, play in a pair or in a  3.

The balance of the squad is crucial and the most important part of this period.

I was a bit concerned that we would be relying on the young lads, Shaw, Hunt etc. Those boys still need a bit of time and it seems Monk knows this.

The addition of Dunkley was a huge positive, an experienced CB that knows the division inside out.

Izzy Brown is a quality addition to midfield and he's played many games at this level.

Windass would be another top addition, adding relative experience with time to develop further.

Very happy so far.

Sorry but, from what I've seen, the thing not to like is his lack of quality on the ball. He's looked bang average so far. Not shown anything to suggest he should have been a first choice regular at Wigan. On the field I don't think he's even an upgrade on Winnall (who also worked hard, linked attack and midfield but has a far better track record as a goalscorer) but might be on cheaper wages and might be a better fit character-wise.

Of course he might improve with help from Beattie but isn't he already 26?

The only consolation for me is that he's another body through the door when we desperately need more bodies at the top end of the pitch.

13 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

A effective defensive midfielder and a more solid defence will be key to allow the likes of Bannan; FDB, Brown or Windass, etc and the wing backs to attack and to create and support whoever we bring in to play upfront. It's looking good at present with the acquisitions and linked players being players with attributes we have lacked. Just think we still lack a midfield beast/defensive midfielder and goals but we should be more solid, dynamic and effective as a team, and the goals may become more spread out across the team. 

Does anyone know whether Dele-Bashiru could fit the mould of a midfield beast. Interesting that he was our first signing. Maybe Monk saw 'midfield beast' as our priority and got this sorted first. If not, we should be worried.

56 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Yes agree. He's got a bit about him and like you I don't see him as an out and out striker.

For me he is an out and out striker. I think his versatility has actually worked against him throughout his career. 

He’s mobile, he’s aggressive and he strikes a ball well. Honestly think he’s got goals in him with a proper run up top with the right partner. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I agree it isn’t essential, but let’s be real about this. We‘ll get hardly any goals from the midfield trio of Bannan, Brown and Pelupessy, or whoever the defensive midfielder is. It’s anyone’s guess how many Odubajo and Harris, the wing backs, would get. My guess is, not many at all. Dunkley might mean that we can expect a few more from the centre backs, but we’re probably not talking double figures here. 
So, although I agree with you, that it isn’t essential to have a prolific striker, in our case, if Windass is the second striker, having one would be preferable 

We will sign a few strikers yet. Even Rhodes if playing a full season would get 7-10 goals IMO as would Windass. Reach, Harris Bannan, Brown all capable of about 4-5 each as is Dunkley and possibly even Iorfa. So if we get a couple more decent central strikers in plus Leko or Murphy then this shouldn’t be too much of an issue

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Sorry but, from what I've seen, the thing not to like is his lack of quality on the ball. He's looked bang average so far. Not shown anything to suggest he should have been a first choice regular at Wigan. On the field I don't think he's even an upgrade on Winnall (who also worked hard, linked attack and midfield but has a far better track record as a goalscorer) but might be on cheaper wages and might be a better fit character-wise.

Of course he might improve with help from Beattie but isn't he already 26?

The only consolation for me is that he's another body through the door when we desperately need more bodies at the top end of the pitch.

Are you talking quality on the ball or end product?

The quality on the ball is more about his touches in and around the final third, he's creative and looks to play forward. 

His final ball could have been better at times but that comes with sharpness and match fitness.

He's a completely different player to Winnall, so not sure on that comparison. Winnall is a CF, out and out, Windass is an attacking midfielder/2nd striker (no.10).

He's a good player and with a run of games I expect him to be a top end Championship forward.

48 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Does anyone know whether Dele-Bashiru could fit the mould of a midfield beast. Interesting that he was our first signing. Maybe Monk saw 'midfield beast' as our priority and got this sorted first. If not, we should be worried.

I haven't seen him play to be honest, so like you I can't tell. Read decent things about him. Might be wrong but was of the view that he might be a more all round, box to box type midfielder? I stand to be corrected if wrong but that was my initial impression. I still think we may be looking for a more defensive midfielder/midfield beast type and I hope we get one. As it may give more freedom for our other midfielders to get forward more and to create and support our attackers. 

If we have visions of Windass operating in the number 10 role, pretty much the only role that is open to him, unless we were to play 4-3-3 (unlikely) then it’s important we get in the right type of striker. As others have said, it’s the work he does in between the lines, looking to play little balls down the channels, that could make him a success in that role. For that though, he will need a more mobile centre forward, someone who can take advantage of such service. Forget all this talk about, a Fletcher type target man, even if Monk has often used that type of player. Yes they can be tall, but they will also need to be quick, or at least sharp around the box.

Just now, gurujuan said:

If we have visions of Windass operating in the number 10 role, pretty much the only role that is open to him, unless we were to play 4-3-3 (unlikely) then it’s important we get in the right type of striker. As others have said, it’s the work he does in between the lines, looking to play little balls down the channels, that could make him a success in that role. For that though, he will need a more mobile centre forward, someone who can take advantage of such service. Forget all this talk about, a Fletcher type target man, even if Monk has often used that type of player. Yes they can be tall, but they will also need to be quick, or at least sharp around the box.

I don’t think he’s good enough technically to play as a number 10. He’s mobile, he runs in behind, he’s physically strong enough and he likes to shoot with power. He’s a striker imo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I hope we'll be looking to sign all types really, certain teams will be weaker to certain combinations.

Ideally these 4 types for me.

1. Stronger/Bigger to lead the line, ideally more mobile than someone like Nuhiu

2. Pacy, run the channels get in behind, strong running at defenders, Leko?

3. Number 10, pick up the ball between the lines, Windass

4. Genuine goalscorer, fox in the box, a bit of pace to get in behind

Just now, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I don’t think he’s good enough technically to play as a number 10. He’s mobile, he runs in behind, he’s physically strong enough and he likes to shoot with power. He’s a striker imo

My initial impression was that he wasn’t good enough technically, but I have to confess, I hadn’t seen much of him recently Others who have, suggested that is the reason we should sign him. If he is to be used as a striker, one of a pair, well then I think we can find a lot better. To be honest, my recollection of how he plays, was always a little wider, but not quite a winger  A bit like a poor man’s Jota, in Monk’s Birmingham team

1 minute ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Yes agreed. I think he fits the bill perfectly for what we are trying to do. Recruiting younger players who hopefully will develop into valuable assets with a sprinkling of bargain more experienced ones who themselves can develop further.  

Hang on, are we talking about Windass or Leko? Windass will be 27 in January

2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

We’ve finished 6th and 4th without a prolific striker. We need a few players capable of getting double figures. 

This. I would rather have our midfield scoring constantly instead of one profilic striker doing all that work. That's where our problem has been in my opinion.

22 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

My initial impression was that he wasn’t good enough technically, but I have to confess, I hadn’t seen much of him recently Others who have, suggested that is the reason we should sign him. If he is to be used as a striker, one of a pair, well then I think we can find a lot better. To be honest, my recollection of how he plays, was always a little wider, but not quite a winger  A bit like a poor man’s Jota, in Monk’s Birmingham team

I’ll be honest I’ve never paid much attention to him before us. Seen bits here and there. Obviously seen more of him this year. But I can say he’s never once reminded me of a Jota or anyone like that.

He’s far more direct, runs in behind, strikes the ball well with both feet. Just looks like a striker. 

Just watched his 2 goals for Wigan at Birmingham this year. First one he’s dead centre, 6 yards out for a tap in. 2nd one he runs in behind, rounds the keeper and scores from a ridiculous angle.

Video from his time at Rangers. Looks like a striker to me. Whether he’s good enough to do it regularly at this level remains to be seen.

Looking at the Rangers video, I'd be happy to see Windass as the main striker. None of that Rhodes, May trying to side foot it in from outside the penalty area. Puts the ball in with confidence/strikes the ball well. Didn't like the other two, but this guy might do the business.

Edited by New Maple Staple
missing word to make it read better