Windass - Bid accepted

5 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

We need 3 strikers

If we are to play 3-5-2 one of them can't play.

Nobody should be guaranteed a place in the starting 11.

He contributed goals last season,whats not to like,i'd rather  goals came from the midfield onwards not just a reliance on strikers.

Just now, pazowl55 said:

Didnt he prove against QPR that he could do that.  If you excuse a few missed chances.  Understand what you mean about where he may play, but we dont know where Monk is going to play him. Perhaps he is planning on playing Brown and Windass off a main striker. 

To me he seems like a relatively cheap player who have already been bedded in at the club and can play in a variety of positions. 

Good signing of you ask me.

and Leko at wing back? He’s relatively cheap yeah, if we’ve got money to spend, but if money is tight, then there are other priorities

2 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

He contributed goals last season,whats not to like,i'd rather  goals came from the midfield onwards not just a reliance on strikers.

True, but a midfield three of him, Brown and Bannan, means Bannan is once again the holding player. We’ve seen how that worked out, so no matter how many goals Windass scored from midfield, it wouldn’t be enough

7 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Didnt he prove against QPR that he could do that.  If you excuse a few missed chances.  Understand what you mean about where he may play, but we dont know where Monk is going to play him. Perhaps he is planning on playing Brown and Windass off a main striker. 

To me he seems like a relatively cheap player who have already been bedded in at the club and can play in a variety of positions. 

Good signing of you ask me.

I agree, but I don't know why, it doesn't somehow seem a very exciting signing.   

If he can turn some of those glaring misses into goals then it will be a very decent signing.

Edited by Inspector Lestrade

Just now, gurujuan said:

True, but a midfield three of him, Brown and Bannan, means Bannan is once again the holding player. We’ve seen how that worked out, so no matter how many goals Windass scored from midfield, it wouldn’t be enough

I'm not saying Windass will be the only scorer from midfield,but a contribution of goals would help..................yes.

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I agree, but I don't know why, it doesn't somehow seem a very exciting signing.   

If he can turn some of those glaring misses into goals then it will be a very decent signing.

It's because we know what we are getting. It's why the Dele Bashiru signing has some people excited as he has never played a game so he really could be anything.

• Like 1

For what I presume is a small fee I can’t really complain.

Been one of Monk’s top targets so I hope we beat the other team to his signature. 

He’s spoken publicly about how well he liked James Beattie aswell so hopefully the club gets this one done. 

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

and Leko at wing back? He’s relatively cheap yeah, if we’ve got money to spend, but if money is tight, then there are other priorities

Perhaps we are saving our money to pay clubs big loan fees for decent players towards the end of the window. As none will be available until the premier teams have there squads together. 

Leko could well be Murphy's replacement, yes.

2 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

I'm not saying Windass will be the only scorer from midfield,but a contribution of goals would help..................yes.

More goals spread around, yes I’m in total agreement. It’s the balance of the side that is important here though. A midfield three of Windass, Brown and Bannan lacks steel, and we’d have exactly the same problems as we had last season. If Windass is being brought in as a starter, there is only one place he can play, in the 10 role, behind a target man. Personally, I’d much rather have someone like Leko running beyond the target man It’s just a personal choice

43 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

Up to him then I guess but we should only want players that want to come. Fed up of mercenaries chasing the cash.

If his head is turned by the coin (I don’t care how short a players career is) then he needs to go elsewhere.

There’s no suggestion he’s playing us off against other clubs. It states that other clubs are interested. There’s a difference 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

More goals spread around, yes I’m in total agreement. It’s the balance of the side that is important here though. A midfield three of Windass, Brown and Bannan lacks steel, and we’d have exactly the same problems as we had last season. If Windass is being brought in as a starter, there is only one place he can play, in the 10 role, behind a target man. Personally, I’d much rather have someone like Leko running beyond the target man It’s just a personal choice

We need a squad though. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Who would ever consider them as a midfield trio, dont talk daft. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I quickly edited it.    

I didn't realise we could edit thread titles.

Is that a recent change?

One could have a bit of fun with that, especially now that the 'disagree' button's been removed...

1024614919_EvilPlans.gif.2a347133b19fd2da3de616284e90a922.gif

Might wait until the final whistle blows on our first loss of the season, though - just to make sure the reactions are truly off the scale.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Is that a recent change?

One could have a bit of fun with that, especially now that the 'disagree' button's been removed...

Might wait until the final whistle blows on our first loss of the season, though - just to make sure the reactions are truly off the scale.

I am guessing it is just your own ones.

• Thanks 1

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Is that a recent change?

Was pure chance, I think I could only do it as no one else had replied to the thread, you must have responded just after I made the edit.

• Thanks 1

Just now, rickygoo said:

We need a squad though. 

We do mate, and if we have the cash to add him to the squad as an option, then fair enough. The lessons of last season though, have to be learned. Once we took away the defensive shield that Hutch gave us, we leaked goals all over the place. My point though, was in relation to posters saying he should be a starter. If that is the case, it has to be as a striker, or better still in the number 10 role. We cannot weaken the midfield by including him there