Why the 3-5-2 could be key to utilising Van Aken

Guest wilyfox

A defender that can't defend. I can't see him turning it round after 3yrs. I suspect Monk will take a look, quickly realise JVA isn't good enough, then farm him out on loan somewhere for his final year. Bad buy. 

I would be amazed if Van Aken plays for us again.  Monk was a good centre back, he will surely see the issues van Aken has and will dismiss the prospect of him playing at this level.

I have said many times before, we had one shot with Van Aken to turn him into a player.  he needed 6 months out of the team, on the training pitch, just working day after day on his footwork and body positioning.  We didnt bother, so unless someone did in his loan spell he will still have the same issues and thus every opposition manager will target that weakness as wilder did.

• Like 3

Let's have a look at him before writing him off. 

A lot to prove, but in his favour is that he's left footed and capable of picking a pass, important if playing out from the back in a three. Way more negatives from his last outing in a Wednesday shirt I accept, but lets reserve judgement until he's played a few more games  

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

I think he’ll start the season as cover for Borner on the left of a three. Ideally it should be Iorfa on the right, a new leader centrally and Borner on the left. Can’t see us doing better than that personally. That will leave Lees, Urhoghide and Van Aken backing up. If we get rid of any of those then we need to replace them too.

Issue we may have is we start with three at the back and it doesn’t work, then we have a swell of unused CBs on the books.