Why the 3-5-2 could be key to utilising Van Aken

7 hours ago, Mister Soul said:

JVA is potentially an outstanding player. People ( not least many fellow owls) assume players climb out of a box marked finished article.

Football isn’t like like that! Ffs, life isn’t like that.

im open minded enough to give him a chance under the right nurturing 

This ^

Yes he was poor especially in the Derby, but I honestly thought Lees had a much worse game. 

However players do improve. With good coaching and match experience. The majority of us won’t have seen him play for at least 12 months (I think much longer). 

I see some potential there, but he will have to realise it fast as performances like before will end his career in England. 

Was a young lad, in a new county, playing for a club with high expectations. Maybe he will thrive now, maybe he will drop down the leagues. We should at least give him that chance and have an open mind.

• Like 4

I have no idea whether Van Aken can kick start his career here, as I haven’t seen enough of him to make a judgement. Personally I don’t like three at the back, but I have noticed a few things already. 
For instance, Palmer and Fox were more effective at right and left in a three, than the more traditional options, Lees and Borner were. This is because they were more comfortable moving into wide areas to cover the wing backs. Perhaps this wouldn’t be as necessary, if we had wing backs who were more aware of their defensive responsibilities For this system to work, it will require a lot more surgery than just bringing in another centre back

Edited by gurujuan

Something quite drastic will have to have happened for him to become a regular Championship CB.

Could ping a nice pass, but he looked way off it defensively.

He's barely played for us in nearly three years?

14 hours ago, Mister Soul said:

JVA is potentially an outstanding player. People ( not least many fellow owls) assume players climb out of a box marked finished article.

Football isn’t like like that! Ffs, life isn’t like that.

im open minded enough to give him a chance under the right nurturing 

He's been here 3 years mate.. His time with us is up and he should be well on the way to be a finished article.

All for giving players a chance but upto 18months / season and a half, then its a dead end

Edited by Doctor Duran
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

You learn something every day.  I’ve just had a look at Weck Method website, thought it was very interesting.

What he's up to with the ropes and understanding how we be with our feet is groundbreaking. 

Any age, size or athletic experience. 

The carry over into sports is evident even after a few sessions. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, theowlsman said:

His club were devastated he’d left they said. Though haven’t been back in for him as his career Wayned.

Wayne Van Aken, name changed by deed poll. Wednesday legend.

Appearances 16

Goals 0

I miss Aero

What happened to Aero? I've not seen him for a couple of years on here. Any can he play wing-back?

17 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I guess that’s why we shouldn’t play the system. So few clubs play it, so there’s a dearth of natural wingbacks. Doesn’t mean we can make it work by playing just anyone there, that much is clear. 
I suppose having Penney back could help, but I’ve not seen him in that role

From seeing teams that do it well (e.g. Celtic under Martin O'Neill), good wing-backs tend to be converted full-backs more often than converted wingers. You need the best of both skill-sets - tackling and marking, plus crossing and passing ability - with a shedload of stamina to get up and down all day. I don't know if he ever played 3-5-2 but Zico Sterland is the one Wednesday player who would have had all the attributes to be a classy WB (maybe Phil King at a pinch)

Recent tactical developments have seen 3-5-2 get replaced by variants of 4-5-1 (either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3) by most top teams - possibly reflecting that you can't get away with just one wide player on each flank.

Not certain that Monk will definitely stick with 3-5-2. It depends if it was motivated by the feeling that we were getting overrun in central midfield (in which case it might stay) or whether it was just to cover our complete absence of left-backs after Fox left.

Guest Grandad

A worse signing than Almen Abdi

But a better signing than Pelupessy

Still better than any defenders United have got - Dejphon Chansiri  December 2018

13 minutes ago, Grandad said:

A worse signing than Almen Abdi

But a better signing than Pelupessy

Still better than any defenders United have got - Dejphon Chansiri  December 2018

I'm reluctant to rate Abdi's ability - he was so perma-crocked here that he reminds me of Goce Sedloski: we just had no idea whether he was great, crap or anything in between...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dooogs said:

From seeing teams that do it well (e.g. Celtic under Martin O'Neill), good wing-backs tend to be converted full-backs more often than converted wingers. You need the best of both skill-sets - tackling and marking, plus crossing and passing ability - with a shedload of stamina to get up and down all day. I don't know if he ever played 3-5-2 but Zico Sterland is the one Wednesday player who would have had all the attributes to be a classy WB (maybe Phil King at a pinch)

Recent tactical developments have seen 3-5-2 get replaced by variants of 4-5-1 (either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3) by most top teams - possibly reflecting that you can't get away with just one wide player on each flank.

Not certain that Monk will definitely stick with 3-5-2. It depends if it was motivated by the feeling that we were getting overrun in central midfield (in which case it might stay) or whether it was just to cover our complete absence of left-backs after Fox left.

No, I’m not certain he will either. To be fair, although I favour a regular back four, nether system looked secure post Christmas. I would say it was the lack of a proper sitting midfielder, that was key to us suddenly starting to leak goals. Once Hutchinson was left out, we no longer had that shield that had enabled us to have the good defensive record we’d had previously A proper, tall, athletic and robust, defensive midfielder is an absolute must this window, whichever system we decide to play

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

A proper, tall, athletic and robust, defensive midfielder is an absolute must this window, whichever system we decide to play

Hmm, putting two and two together and getting 22:

JVA has serious technical defensive frailties;

However, he can pass nicely;

We're short in central midfield (literally and figuratively) after Hutch left.

?????

PROFIT