Why the 3-5-2 could be key to utilising Van Aken

Played in a 352 under Jos against Wigan in 17/18. Didn’t play well. 

Personally just don’t think Van Aken is a Championship defender.

With possibly Dunkley or Venancio coming in, maybe even both I’d gather than Monk isn’t happy with our CB options. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Has to be made Captain. Took 3 years to find, and best of over 200 central defenders looked at.

Build the team around him and he'll become a legend. Paxo is never wrong.

His club were devastated he’d left they said. Though haven’t been back in for him as his career Wayned.

Wayne Van Aken, name changed by deed poll. Wednesday legend.

Appearances 16

Goals 0

I miss Aero

• Like 2

Being optimistic there is a player in there somewhere. I think he didn’t adapt to the English game quick enough and then lost all of his confidence. I wouldn’t write him completely off just yet, we’re in need of other positions more than his so stranger things have happened than him starting as cover and then showing over the course of a season that’s he’s not as bad as initially thought and maybe getting a starting place as the season goes on. Not saying that will happen, just I think he’s ok as a back up player and you never know from there.

• Like 1

The main problem we have is, Lees, Iorfa and Borner, all look better in a two. I think the system was adopted, purely because we had no recognised left back. Palmer was OK at left back, but he was the only right back, so we were almost forced to play that way. In the end, the system neither made us any more secure, nor did it improve us as an attacking force. 
However, if we do persist with it, we need better ball playing centre backs, and proper wing backs, not wingers masquerading as wing backs.

Edited by gurujuan

59 minutes ago, billyblack said:

unless we can sell him i suspect he will be playing given we dont have anyone else at the minute

strikers are more pressing than defenders

Spot on.

In a back 3 he’s probably 5th or even 6th choice behind the obvious trio plus Palmer and maybe even Moses. 

Though would come into contention if Borner is injured due to being left-sided. 

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The main problem we have is, Lees, Iorfa and Borner, all look better in a two. I think the system was adopted, purely because we had no recognised left back. Palmer was OK at left back, but he was the only right back, so we were almost forced to play that way. In the end, the system neither made us any more secure, nor did it improve us as an attacking force. 
However, if we do persist with it, we need better ball playing centre backs, and proper wing backs, not wingers masquerading as wing backs.

And some names of these mythical “proper wing-backs” are............?

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

And some names of these mythical “proper wing-backs” are............?

I guess that’s why we shouldn’t play the system. So few clubs play it, so there’s a dearth of natural wingbacks. Doesn’t mean we can make it work by playing just anyone there, that much is clear. 
I suppose having Penney back could help, but I’ve not seen him in that role

23 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Spot on.

In a back 3 he’s probably 5th or even 6th choice behind the obvious trio plus Palmer and maybe even Moses. 

Though would come into contention if Borner is injured due to being left-sided. 

Moses needs to be nowhere near a back 3. RWB yes. 

We have Borner, Iorfa and Lees and Van Aken for CB. Need another ideally.

We just need 3 or 4 strikers....

5 hours ago, billyblack said:

unless we can sell him i suspect he will be playing given we dont have anyone else at the minute

strikers are more pressing than defenders

At 0-0 we still get a point, defenders are just as if not more important imo. 

I can't see it happening for Van Aken here now, but he's also been unlucky with the timings of his injuries.

Almost 3 years since we signed him now, and he can only have been available to play for little more than maybe 20 or 30 games.

I suppose we saw enough of the negatives to his game to feel certain enough about his chances. 

Even so, maybe Monk will take a look and see something there - but I suspect it's far more likely we'll be trying to get him fully out the door this summer.

He played ok in his first couple of matches, which started a brief spaff fest about him supposedly being a genius piece of transfer business.

In each and every appearance from that point, he may as well have been wearing clown's shoes.  No formation is going to make him a decent player, unless we can somehow get 12 men on the field.

• Like 1

Il never forget watching him at cardiff,the week before we played the scrubbers and thinking how hard Tom Lees had to work that day to cover his errors,it just didnt bode well for the upcomming derby.

Paxo really stuffed us with JVA,has to be the worst CB weve had on the books for decades

10 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Il never forget watching him at cardiff,the week before we played the scrubbers and thinking how hard Tom Lees had to work that day to cover his errors,it just didnt bode well for the upcomming derby.

Paxo really stuffed us with JVA,has to be the worst CB weve had on the books for decades

We played Forest at home around the same time. He sold himself terribly for their goal, diving in needlessly and allowing their man to advance on goal. But it was ok as he hit a decent 40 yard pass later.

I am a bit of a traditionalist and want my defenders to be able to defend as a priority.

Edited by Ever the pessimist

14 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

We played Forest at home around the same time. He sold himself terribly for their goal, diving in needlessly and allowing their man to advance on goal. But it was ok as he hit a decent 40 yard pass later.

I am a bit of a traditionalist and want my defenders to be able to defend as a priority.

Yeah I remember that gaffe as well.

All that blarney CC gave us about watching 200 CBs was a load of tosh,theres easily 200 better playing amatuer football in yorkshire!

• Like 1