Switching Allegiances?

On 14/07/2020 at 08:43, gurujuan said:

I can see that sometimes people can be swayed by the crack of going to games with your mates.

Yeah, my dad was a Wednesday fan (hence me being one), but he moved to Burnley when he and my mum got married 50 years ago and we only ever got to a couple of matches per season. Just after he took up early retirement, he gave up playing golf on Saturday afternoons because he wasn’t enjoying it anymore. He started off going on a few of Burnley’s away coach trips with his mates, which eventually led to him becoming a season ticket holder at Turf Moor. He’d describe himself as a Burnley fan now, but when we’ve played them in not-so-recent years, he’s not worn his Burnley colours to the matches, out of respect to his former allegiance. 😂

Just now, EXCALIBUR said:

We don't choose Wednesday.

Wednesday choose us to follow them

Any others who leave are more plastic than a 3 wheeler plastic pig car 

my everton mate says about them .....always thought it made no sense .

Aston villa fan at 9, after watching them win the European Cup. 

Wednesday fan by the age of ten after going to Hillsborough for the first time, although I was born in Hillsborough so no real doubt where my loyalties would end up 

Anyone who switches isn't a real football fan.

It's the old adage that you can change your job, partner, etc. but you can't change your team.

Supporting this lot is like being in an abusive marriage you can't get out of.

Coming from a long line of Blades I bucked the trend and supported Wednesday. Was taken to the Lane before ever setting foot in Hillsborough but it never felt right. First time I went to Hillsborough, under floodlights, in 1970 at the age of 9 I was hooked. Got my first Wednesday shirt the following Christmas. Still my favourite shirt is the solid blue with white sleeves. Memories  as a young boy watching Tommy Craig, Jackie Sinclair etc. 

Been a lot of ups and downs over the following years but no way I could or would follow any other club. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A12owl said:

I was brought up in S2 within site of the piggery. All our neighbours were united supporters but as my dad was brought up in Crookes he was a Wednesday supporter. We used to go to BH Lane one week and Hillsborough the next usually with the United fan neighbours. Some very interesting situations. My dad once had to separate 2 of the opposing tribes during a Hillsborough Derby game. 

They all shook hands afterwards. 

I never did get any affection for United and followed wednesday since I was about 6. That's 65 years ago. Settled in Norfolk/Suffolk nearly 40 years ago and for a time went to watch Norwich regularly. I would support Norwich against any other team other than Wednesday. 

As a side thought, what is the difference between being a fan and being a supporter? 

That’s a move I’m about to undertake, when things settle down. I’m torn between, a city move to Norwich, or maybe a more rural situation in the north of the county

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

I suppose it depends on your (or other half's) cultural requirements. As they say in their publicity "Norwich is a fine city". Good shopping, perhaps not big city style, plenty of cafes etc. Clean and reasonably safe. Well supported football team. 

Good parking in centre and plenty of out of town shopping. Getting in and around is pretty good. 

On the other hand countryside is very flat but loads of nice villages and small towns. You can be quiet and relaxed but still access facilities. 

Big drawback is that its a big of a journey up north. 2 hours or so to Newark to access A1. 

I'm sure you know all that anyway but just thought I'd throw my Norfolk publicity hat in the ring. Don't know why cos I live in Suffolk. WTF:

Yes I know the area well, and spend a lot of time in that part of the world Yeah it’s a bit flat, though not Norwich surprisingly, but I kinda like those big moody skies. Have a few friends in your area, well Diss, and Eye, which I believe is in Suffolk. As you say though, it’s a bit of a schlep to get anywhere.

Mum was an owl, dad was a pig (and a wife beater - standard).  I was never taken to any games.  First match I saw in full was the ‘85 cup final and I felt bad for Everton so started following them.  Never went to a match.

My step-dad took me to my first ever game in ‘88 (against Luton - 1-0, Sterland (pen) Att 16433) and something clicked.  Everton visited on Bonfire Night that year and they were a set of right dirty c@nts.  32 years of misery began.

On 13/07/2020 at 18:44, Beighton Owl 87 said:

In the unlikely event we folded and didn't start again in non league I'd follow another team but it would never be the same. Probably follow man city for the glory lol

After the roller coaster of emotions that Wednesday give you every week, sod picking another club.

It would be groundhopping for me as a neutral less stress :laugh:

On 13/07/2020 at 15:56, wiltonowl said:

Went to Benidorm "84",with my best mate who was a Wednesday fan,hotel had a fair few dark sides in.

They told us stories of there up and coming firm,best mate hung his Wednesday shirt up in a bar and became one of them on his return.

Had some hilarious moments.in town for a few seasons after when we met his new friends now and again.

Never really forgiven him but still after all these years we remain friends and argue that turn around.

Polish surname? From chapeltown way?