Switching Allegiances?

On 13/07/2020 at 09:39, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I was listening to 606 on 5 Live the other evening and they took a call from a Villa fan who said that he'd been a Leeds fan until a particular incident where their fans caused some trouble in the 70s, at which point he decided he no longer wanted to support such a club and switched to Villa instead.

It got me wondering...how common is this?

Has anyone on here supported another team before turning to Wednesday?

Or has anybody ever been tempted to switch their allegiance away from the blue and white wizards...and dare to admit it on here?

;-)

I'm pulling for Brentford from now on. 

JK. I do love me some Nick Lowe though...

When I was 5 or so I had the old fake Tottenham kit that you used to sew the badge onto, simply cause Gazza was the only footballer I've heard of, in 90/91. By the time I was 7 and I couldn't give an answer to why I was and a Wednesday fan and still am. No ties to Sheffield I'm from Banbury,  Oxfordshire, went to uni in Sheffield and lived up there but I was a Wednesday fan way before that. So technically I have changed  team.

Thinking of people I grew up with I can think of one who used to be a Manchester United fan (which he denies) he's now a Villa fan. As well as another former Manchester United fan (again denies it) who is now a Leicester City fan. Can't think of any who have gone from a "smaller" club to a Manchester United, Liverpool, etc

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gparrish said:

When I was 5 or so I had the old fake Tottenham kit that you used to sew the badge onto, simply cause Gazza was the only footballer I've heard of, in 90/91. By the time I was 7 and I couldn't give an answer to why I was and a Wednesday fan and still am. No ties to Sheffield I'm from Banbury,  Oxfordshire, went to uni in Sheffield and lived up there but I was a Wednesday fan way before that. So technically I have changed  team.

Thinking of people I grew up with I can think of one who used to be a Manchester United fan (which he denies) he's now a Villa fan. As well as another former Manchester United fan (again denies it) who is now a Leicester City fan. Can't think of any who have gone from a "smaller" club to a Manchester United, Liverpool, etc

There’s a few of us on here who lived/live in Banbury, a bit of a hotspot for Owls, and generally ones with no obvious connections to Sheffield

• Like 1

On 19/07/2020 at 19:53, Ever the pessimist said:

Polish surname? From chapeltown way?

No mate

English name,from Rotherham

Big lad,big character,one of most honest humans I have ever met,saved me from a few hidings when we were young and daft.

• Like 1

Wouldn’t really say I’d switched allegiance but Live in between Ponte and Selby and from a long line of leeds fans dad ,grandad etc And both sides of family  ,uncle took me to a few leeds games when was about 7 or 8 in low fields end ,didn’t really do owt for me .happened to one day get a free trip on an owls coach run from Selby with a family friend  to Wednesday  v Everton circa 86 so 10 yrs old .walked up the steps to the kop and first look inside ground and that was it .As a teen I would catch bus to Donny ,train into Sheffield with a few lads from Selby area ,to near on every home game ,here I am 33 years later ,I occasionally take my 4 sons who Iv somehow managed to follow in my footsteps with  wednesday ,a few times a year as it’s just too expensive to frequent often .i sometimes feel for my lads as Iv bestowed the pain on them also .As owls in Sheffield will be getting grief off pigs ,we getting it from leeds ,but we Still stand proud As Wednesday ,every dog has its day.Our time will come again .i know lots of lads who were mainly Liverpool or Man U fans early 80s but turned leeds in what 1990 ? When they came up .they all seem to forget tho ,I ain’t .

One of the more bizarre ones...in his mid 60s my Dad switched from Wednesday to Rotherham.  Even more bizarre it coincided with the start of the Carlos era.   

If it had been now he decided to switch I suppose it could have been to Hallam FC🙄

On 13/07/2020 at 18:44, Beighton Owl 87 said:

In the unlikely event we folded and didn't start again in non league I'd follow another team but it would never be the same. Probably follow man city for the glory lol

I'd have a choice between Leeds, Bradford and Harrogate - all about the same distance time wise. I think I might nip to a few Harrogate games next season. There's a few of us at work who all follow different teams - it'll be a good neutral venue to have a few beers and watch a game. 

Guest Grez Bez
7 hours ago, rickygoo said:

I'd have a choice between Leeds, Bradford and Harrogate - all about the same distance time wise. I think I might nip to a few Harrogate games next season. There's a few of us at work who all follow different teams - it'll be a good neutral venue to have a few beers and watch a game. 

Ilkley?

I'm in Leeds and looking forward to a few Harrogate games

11 hours ago, cartman said:

One of the more bizarre ones...in his mid 60s my Dad switched from Wednesday to Rotherham.  Even more bizarre it coincided with the start of the Carlos era.   

If it had been now he decided to switch I suppose it could have been to Hallam FC🙄

That is really random!

What led him to make that decision?

I assume he'd followed Wednesday all his life up to that point?

I remember at school, there was a couple of drippy sixth formers, you know, the ones who were always quoting Monty Python sketches. Anyway, I think they were both Aston Villa fans, or maybe it was Chelsea, I’m not sure, but for some reason, they both decided they would become Bradford City fans. 
I don’t know why, they were both Oxford born and bred, and as far as I know, had no connection with Yorkshire, though the same could be said about me I suppose. They turned up with Bradford kits and scarves and even started travelling to games. Suddenly I wasn’t in the minority, the only one supporting an unfashionable team, accept I was, there were two of them