Switching Allegiances?

20 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Did he stick with them? When we were all running around town back in the day, they were better organised, and generally better dressed. Suppose that had some appeal back in the 80s

Yes he did,became quite a character,even had Cass Penant,stop at his flat after a west ham /blunt game.

1 hour ago, GLOwl said:

Never, never, never, never!

Those who do just don't have that proper connection anyway, end of.

Wednesday to me is where I was born, it's part of my family's DNA, it's"home", it bloody hurts when we're not doing well, I'm filled with pride when we are doing well. I could NEVER support any other teams. UTO

I've always thought the same, but some don't.

I went to school with a couple of lads who supported Wednesday when until we got relegated from the Premier League, then they suddenly started going through clubs at a ridiculous rate. Between them, at various times they 'supported' Tottenham, Reading, Donny Rovers, Chelsea, and Liverpool.

Madness.

2 hours ago, striker said:

No, if I didn't follow Wednesday I wouldn't have much interest in football, never mind another club. 

I'd suggest that not having much interest in football is a pre-requisite for being a Wednesday fan these days! lol

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

In the unlikely event we folded and didn't start again in non league I'd follow another team but it would never be the same. Probably follow man city for the glory lol

If I tried that hey'd never win owt ever again!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

In the unlikely event we folded and didn't start again in non league I'd follow another team but it would never be the same. Probably follow man city for the glory lol

I honestly wouldn't know where to start if Wednesday folded.

Going for a Premier League club would seem wrong, but then why would I want to consign myself to the misery of following a lower league club for years again?

I don't have a particular affinity with any other team except for Donny Rovers, but their fans managed to p*ss me off with their arrogance when they were last in the Championship, so they're out.

I might just have to take up fishing or something instead.

:duntmatter:

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I've always thought the same, but some don't.

I went to school with a couple of lads who supported Wednesday when until we got relegated from the Premier League, then they suddenly started going through clubs at a ridiculous rate. Between them, at various times they 'supported' Tottenham, Reading, Donny Rovers, Chelsea, and Liverpool.

Madness.

Totally agree mate, madness indeed.

How can it mean the same when a team you choose is doing well? I am Wednesday till I die, so hopefully for a good many more years to come and with some success. 😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GLOwl said:

Totally agree mate, madness indeed.

How can it mean the same when a team you choose is doing well? I am Wednesday till I die, so hopefully for a good many more years to come and with some success. 😀

I dream of the day I can turn smugly to the glory-supporters and utter those immortal words:

"I was here when Jeffers played for us."

• Haha 1

I knew a lad in the 60's who switched from Man UTd to City (he went to games) and another who switched from Mansfield to Burnley.

In the last 20 years I've come across quite a few people who've changed when the balance of power moved, although they were just armchair fans.  Liverpool to Chelsea, Chelsea to Man City, Tottenham to Arsenal. These people don't even know where Chelsea is!

You can't change your team.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I honestly wouldn't know where to start if Wednesday folded.

Going for a Premier League club would seem wrong, but then why would I want to consign myself to the misery of following a lower league club for years again?

I don't have a particular affinity with any other team except for Donny Rovers, but their fans managed to p*ss me off with their arrogance when they were last in the Championship, so they're out.

I might just have to take up fishing or something instead.

:duntmatter:

Yeh me and my Dad used to have them as a 2nd team but that all died when we started meeting them on a regular basis due to their irritating fans.

If Wednesday went bust I wouldn't support a team, I've been a big rugby fan for many years and never felt like supporting a team so I don't think it's a neccisity

I mentioned recently there was a guy on owlsonline who was a regular poster, all of a sudden posted his Mrs was no longer allowing him to watch Wednesday because they're a hooligan club and was worried about the kid, but he could support their local side, Hull, so he did. Started posting on the Hull forum that day!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I mentioned this in here a few years back and it caused some posters to get pretty angry with me, but it’s a true story. A friend of mine was a lifelong Owl and had brought her two young kids up as owls too. But she stopped taking them to games at Hillsborough because of the swearing - presumably primarily from the bounce song. Her husband (the kids’ step dad) was from Hull and they started taking them there instead and they’re all Hull fans now (although the step-dad passed away recently, I don’t think they’ll be returning to Wednesday).

8 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

I mentioned this in here a few years back and it caused some posters to get pretty angry with me, but it’s a true story. A friend of mine was a lifelong Owl and had brought her two young kids up as owls too. But she stopped taking them to games at Hillsborough because of the swearing - presumably primarily from the bounce song. Her husband (the kids’ step dad) was from Hull and they started taking them there instead and they’re all Hull fans now (although the step-dad passed away recently, I don’t think they’ll be returning to Wednesday).

That's crazy!

Unless you're sat in direct earshot of someone belting it out - which I imagine doesn't happen in the Grandstand -  any kids who don't already recognise the word 'f*cking' wouldn't have a clue what was being sung as it echoes around the stadium, would they?

If they're curious, just tell 'em they're singing 'funky' and you're all good!

I went to Man U Barcelona at Wembley in 2011 with me best pal,  we met this bloke with a huge George best flag head to toe in Man U gear, so we asked him how come you support Man U (He was from Ireland)

’well, I used to be a Liverpool fan in the 70s and 80s, then I supported villa for a bit and started supporting united in the 90s’

fizz me mate!

• Haha 3

Sometimes it works the other way. I was the only Wednesday fan at my school in Oxford, and used to travel up to games with a fellow Owl from Banbury. Eventually we decided to move up to Sheffield, and were joined by a third person, a Manchester Utd fan from Oxford. All three of us got season tickets, and I ended up attending over 200 games with that one time Man Utd fan, Cliff. 
Nowadays, back in Oxford, there’s about a dozen of us who travel to games on a regular basis, including a Liverpool fan. The Liverpool fan has been to many more games at Hillsborough, than he has been to Anfield. Although I can’t ever imagine not supporting Wednesday, I can see that sometimes people can be swayed by the crack of going to games with your mates. Also, I suppose it’s different if you are based elsewhere in the country, and randomly support a bigger team, without regularly watching them. Living in Sheffield though, and crossing the great divide, that is a definite no no

Edited by gurujuan

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's crazy!

Unless you're sat in direct earshot of someone belting it out - which I imagine doesn't happen in the Grandstand -  any kids who don't already recognise the word 'f*cking' wouldn't have a clue what was being sung as it echoes around the stadium, would they?

If they're curious, just tell 'em they're singing 'funky' and you're all good!

I doubt she took the decision lightly as she had been a Wednesday fan for something like 40 years, and the kids had Wednesday kits and all that, so presumably they had already been picking the language up. I was gutted when I first saw a family photo of them all at the KC decked out head-to-toe in Hull gear.

On the plus side our kit is the direct inverse of Hull’s, so it was a really quick Photoshop job to make it look like they were all in blue and white and then send the photo back! Although the step-dad passed away recently they do now live in Hull and I expect they’re going to stay there.

• Like 1