Championship club Wigan enter administration - automatic 12 point deduction

So the new owners pass the fit and proper persons test a month back and, the club are now in administration. Where’s the accountability for the EFL? Why haven’t extra measures been put into place to safeguard clubs against potential new owners during a pandemic? Feel for Wigan, completely out of the blue and, I doubt they’ll be the first.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

This will put Wigan Athletic rock bottom of the Championship but also  fighting for their existence

An awful thing to happen. After 8 seasons in the prem, they have folded in just their 6th season after dropping out of it (the prem).

That is really sad, especially if the current virus situation has tipped them over the edge. I suppose the EFL would argue that these are extenuating circumstances and that Wigan were already sailing too close to the rocks, but they still have a fighting chance if they can hold their form.

Let's hope the EFL have used up all their point deductions now!

On a serious note, this could be used as an extra incentive for us to get more points on the board. Hopefully starting tonight.

UTO! 

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

Football is rotten to the core, destroyed by money and greed at the top which has filtered down and infested the championship. When a team prioritises finishing forth in the premier league over winning a cup you know the game is fooked. 

It's worse than that, they prioritise finishing FOURTH FROM BOTTOM!.  Thats awful for proper old school fans though. Imagine us having players reunions for that side that finished fourth from bottom in 1991, what wonderful memories !  I'm too old to pack up now but if I were 20 I don't think I'd bother or would I be brainwashed into "supporting"  Liverpool after a few years of being Arsenal through and through.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

So the new owners pass the fit and proper persons test a month back and, the club are now in administration. Where’s the accountability for the EFL? Why haven’t extra measures been put into place to safeguard clubs against potential new owners during a pandemic? Feel for Wigan, completely out of the blue and, I doubt they’ll be the first.

Wow I didn't  realise this had happened. Does that make the EFL complicit in the act of bankruptcy, or are the new owners pulling a fast one to write off debt? Whatever's been going on, you have to feel for the fans, who have got no say in what happens and no recourse regarding bad decisions made by their owners.

Edited by Ante's Bubbly
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

2007 ?

Leeds started their league one season on minus 15 points.

my mistake I thought they entered it at halftime to get the punishment out of the way that season. 

I remembered it that Boston where punished and Leeds got away with it. 

47 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

It's worse than that, they prioritise finishing FOURTH FROM BOTTOM!.  Thats awful for proper old school fans though. Imagine us having players reunions for that side that finished fourth from bottom in 1991, what wonderful memories !  I'm too old to pack up now but if I were 20 I don't think I'd bother or would I be brainwashed into "supporting"  Liverpool after a few years of being Arsenal through and through.

Ive become totally disillusioned with football in general, I've said it many many times, I really hope the whole thing goes up in smoke and we have to start all over again, wishful thinking, its too powerful for big organisations to let it go under.

The amount of money that is in the PL is shameful and eventually you will see clubs further down going bust and replaced by Man City Bs Arsenal Bs.

The EFL could have inadvertently caused themselves a massive problem this season.  If they dock Wigan 12 points this season in dates that are outside the regular season, what happens if league 1 or league 2 teams do it now?  

When should they deduct the points?

What if one of the playoff teams or promoted teams went into admin? 

If they are handing out 12 points and you were safe, could you try and get it through now?

All the EFL teams should be treated the same, so they should have all carried on playing or none.

4 hours ago, HighworthOwl said:

They added the caveat of removing points next season if relegated because Leeds entered administration at half time during the last game of the season when heading down. They where deducted the 12 points but by then it didn't matter.

I think Boston United did the same thing but got a hefty deduction the season after anyway but Leeds started the new season without punishment.  

If you’re referring to the Summer of 2007 when Leeds went into administration, they ended up starting the 2007/08 season in League One on -15 points.

How is that not a punishment?

23 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

If you’re referring to the Summer of 2007 when Leeds went into administration, they ended up starting the 2007/08 season in League One on -15 points.

How is that not a punishment?

your the second person to correct me 🙂 

and Leeds can never be punished enough. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest mkowl
4 minutes ago, flying-owl said:

Unlikely as the Bristol City owner, Steve Lansdown, is loaded.

Proper businessman.

Less firm rumour than the Wigan one and it would surprise me given their owner - but you never know these days 

10 hours ago, Jim said:

I wouldn’t give the EFL the sh!t off my shoe. Sooner it gets disbanded the better IMO?

Maybe you should watch where you're treading in the first place! lol

EFL should have stepped up after the Bury fiasco 

But as per usual they are useless 

I hope this pandemic shows clubs that they don't need these muppets to run things 

Guest mkowl
5 hours ago, s.kirkbyowl said:

If all the clubs in the championship went into admin and then took a 12 point hit, all things would be equal and we would all be free from debt - just change the name a bit  e.g. swfc 2020 - jobs a good un !

The primary debt of Sheffield Wednesday is to err a Mr D Chansiri

Who would lose most if put into admin Mr D Chansiri

Who makes the decision on going into admin - Mr Chansiri

Guest mkowl

The Wigan situation appears to be that the new owners simply do not have accessible funds or the ability to transfer them to the UK.

This could end up being a major issue for a lot of clubs reliant on the owner or funders if there credit lines are reduced. 

Just because someone is cited to be worth a fortune it invariably is only on paper and not just sat in a bank account. If credit facilities get jittery or it is needed to support the core business of these owners then this could be a pack of cards. Especially if a club fails owing another club for transfer fees

And football is notorious for forward selling income rights to get cash today. Check out our neighbours. If you wanted any reason to know why the EPL and EFL re-started it was because of loans secured on TV rights income. 

Football has been living in a unsustainable bubble for years - propped up by TV rights