Sheffield Wednesday Squad for next season as things stand:

Guest LittleG
8 minutes ago, andypandy said:

Most Wednesday fans have been saying for a good while, that the squad needs, overhauling, refreshing........With all the contracts up this year,gives us the perfect opportunity to achieve this and get us going in the right direction, rather than just treading water.

The problem is that half of those still under contract are not good enough either.

18 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I'm afraid if Nuhiu is going to be our main striker, League 1 here we come.

Wow that's a bit overdramatic and sensationalist isnt it?

Surely by your own logic, the fact that he's been playing and we haven't been relegated means it doesn't add up

lol

Owlstalk Shop

20 minutes ago, andypandy said:

Most Wednesday fans have been saying for a good while, that the squad needs, overhauling, refreshing........With all the contracts up this year,gives us the perfect opportunity to achieve this and get us going in the right direction, rather than just treading water.

Problem is do you trust the people in charge to recruit correctly? I don't.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Goalkeepers: Westwood, Dawson, Wildsmith.

Defenders: Palmer, Odujabo, Lees, Iorfa, van Aken, Borner.

Midfielders: Harris, Bannan, Luongo, Hunt, Reach.

Strikers: Rhodes

Big summer ahead, lots of work but also great opportunity. With football in such an uncertain state, suspect buying clubs will have an advantage. Not much money about and fees/wages start to rebalance.

Expect Westwood and Rhodes to be moved on if possible. Van Aaken maybe the same, or if Urhoghide signs, we have some depth at CB (albeit lacking quality).

Expect Fox, Penney and Fletcher to sign. Defence, although not perfect, is adequate. Midfield and up front is where work is needed.....

Goalkeepers: Dawson, Wildsmith.

Defenders: Palmer, Odujabo, Lees, Iorfa, van Aken, Urhoghide, Borner, Fox, Penney

Strikers: Fletcher

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Surely by your own logic, the fact that he's been playing and we haven't been relegated means it doesn't add up

lol

Now I don't  want to start this into yet another Nuhiu thread.

But he's started 26 games in the last 2 seasons of which we won 6. One of those was Brentford at home which we were losing when he was hooked at half time. So he didn't contribute to that win.

So on that basis if he was our main starting striker,we wouldn't win enough games to stay up. 

3 minutes ago, striker said:

Big summer ahead, lots of work but also great opportunity. With football in such an uncertain state, suspect buying clubs will have an advantage. Not much money about and fees/wages start to rebalance.

Expect Westwood and Rhodes to be moved on if possible. Van Aaken maybe the same, or if Urhoghide signs, we have some depth at CB (albeit lacking quality).

Expect Fox, Penney and Fletcher to sign. Defence, although not perfect, is adequate. Midfield and up front is where work is needed.....

Goalkeepers: Dawson, Wildsmith.

Defenders: Palmer, Odujabo, Lees, Iorfa, van Aken, Urhoghide, Borner, Fox, Penney

Strikers: Fletcher

We couldn't even move on Westwood and Rhodes without the Coronavirus impacting the transfer market. We got absolutely no chance now.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

E6BB28FD-09B7-43E3-BC88-75250FAF11F1.jpeg

Goalkeepers: Westwood, Dawson, Wildsmith.

Defenders: Palmer, Odujabo, Lees, Iorfa, van Aken, Borner.

Strikers: Rhodes

Completely forgot about Van Aken. An absolute waste of money. I know he was injured for a while but surely he could have been sent out on loan to another championship/league 1  team to gain some experience. Why on earth has he just been sat around for 3 seasons? 

Just now, Sefton owl said:

Completely forgot about Van Aken. An absolute waste of money. I know he was injured for a while but surely he could have been sent out on loan to another championship/league 1  team to gain some experience. Why on earth has he just been sat around for 3 seasons? 

Isn't he on loan in Germany?

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Isn't he on loan in Germany?

Not sure, but I think it would have been better to loan him out in this country. Similar to Penney. Hearing mixed reviews on him as well in terms of his performance  in that league 

27 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

You think Fox is going accept reduced terms? I can't see it as he won't even be near the top of the wages list. Fletcher yes as he will be on big money but what do you call reduced?

Meant only fletcher on reduced terms as he’s a big earner. Can’t see fox being on too much tbh anyway but wouldn’t offer loads. 

11 minutes ago, danswfc1987 said:

Meant only fletcher on reduced terms as he’s a big earner. Can’t see fox being on too much tbh anyway but wouldn’t offer loads. 

Fletcher will be on about £30k a week so a reduction will be needed. I think he will be pragmatic enough to accept as well

58 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

Thats because he has had rhodes helping him out...... 😀

• Haha 2

I'm fine with this. Try and move on Rhodes and Westwood because of their wages and offer a deal to Fletcher on reduces wages then try and build with a much younger side. There are so many good players in league 1 and league 2 who we could try and sign and would have a resale value as well. Players like Scott Fraser at Burton, who has 5 goals and 11 assists this season, is 25 and out of contract. Surely worth taking a chance on a few like this 

It's what's required, also add there is potentially alot of free agents in the summer - I saw somewhere 1000+

Clubs won't be able to pay big wages and with lots of free agents and free transfers to get players off the books wages will be driven down due to how many are desperate for new clubs. 

Hopefully clubs can now dictate what they will pay instead of the agents dictating what they pay putting clubs in trouble. 

Could be the perfect pre season - if done correctly and that's the worrying bit. 

1 hour ago, malek said:

That is not a core group of players we can ever hope to get promoted.

For next season I hope for us to build younger, more talented foundations that we can build upon and improve season after season. 

There are plenty of cheap, talented and ambitious players in lower leagues, Scotland and Ireland that are worth taking a look at.

We need to try and find new James Maddison, Bradley Dack, Kieran Lee...

What players in Irish  leagues ( ROI and Northern Ireland) are you referring to who could get you promoted to PL?

There is certainly no one in Northern Irish leagues.

Its easy to talk about young, talented and ambitious but its a cliche.

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Really!

You want to give Nuhiu a new contract and have him lead our attack next season.

We've had 7 years of mediocrity from him. Time to say bye and move on. 

I'm afraid if Nuhiu is going to be our main striker, League 1 here we come.

When has he ever been our main forward? 

He's a cheap and effective squad player. 

I'd be giving him a new deal, along with Fox for the same reason 

If Lee and Fletcher are willing to take pay drops I'd keep them too, bin the others. 

• Haha 2