Sheffield Wednesday Squad for next season as things stand:

14 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

We might have no choice but to promote some youngsters?

Thing is for me, Chansiri is coming to his first crossroads as Wednesday owner. The decisions made both in terms of recruiting Manager and Players in his first two years were by and large successful in the sense we were where we wanted to be in the table.

Since then it’s gone wrong. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if we had kept Carlos I don’t think we would’ve been as bad as we have been over the last three years? So much so I think Chansiri regrets that decision and would have him back tomorrow if at all possible?

Some fans would go ballistic but apart from Bruce, he’s the only manager that the owner has appointed who has proven he can have a team competitive at this level?

Back to the crossroads Chansiri finds himself at. He needs to decide on a fresh approach recruitment wise. The signing of proven championship players almost worked but alas didn’t. The fans are at an ambivalent stage which he could take advantage of. This would mean trying to sign young hungry players whether it be from the lower leagues here in England. Young players just released from Premier

League teams or who @malek has suggested, youngsters from Scotland, Ireland and maybe Wales?

If he went down this route and also invested heavily in the academy I think he would get a degree of patience from the fans but admission prices would have to come down but they may have to anyway just like transfer fees and wages will more than likely come down?

We are at the start of a potentially exciting new era for this club and perhaps even football as a whole? I hope Chansiri takes advantage of this opportunity but I do think whether he does or not will be like flicking a coin and seeing which side it lands on?

Some good points made there, and that’s probably how I view the alternatives. Who knows whether Mr Chansiri will view a longer stint in this league as a worthwhile exercise Like you, I could accept us taking a longer term approach to the project, but that’s perhaps easier to do if we are mere fans, with only minimal financial obligations. He obviously harbours thoughts that we can rekindle the progress of years 1 and 2, and as you say, would love to snap up a manager who he thinks might give him a better chance of achieving that. That would require a different approach to the longer term one being discussed, though I’m sure there would be, at least one eye on the longer term. 
Equally important, is establishing a philosophy, and a way of playing. That way we can avoid decisions that saw us go from Carlos to Jos, and then ending up with Monk. From a personal point of view, I would not be happy embarking on a new era if our footballing philosophy was driven by Gary Monk 

I dislike his way of playing, and from what I gather, the players aren’t happy playing that way That style of play has been rejected by most of the clubs in the top two divisions, if not all around the world. If nothing else, to continue with this way of playing, will limit our ability to bring in youngsters from the bigger clubs Our academy sides don’t play that way, so I don’t understand why it’s promoted at first team level. My point about whether there are players who can be promoted from the development squads, is they have to be showing they are deserving of that promotion. There are clubs who probably have to go with the academy lads, because they have to, for economic reasons. A club like Ipswich for example, who actually have a pretty decent youth set up, generally turn to their own youngsters for economic reasons. That’s one of the reasons they are languishing in the third tier. They do produce the odd gem that they are able to sell on to keep them ticking over. Would that be acceptable to Mr C, I’m not sure

It seems that this summer could be one of most important in club's recent history.

We are in situation to rebuild and our next few seasons will be heavily influenced by how well we will recruit for next season.

I can't see the point in replacing average players with more other average players hoping we will get the balance right and that those players will push us toward Premier League.

We need to invest in players with potential so we can build around them not having to replace them every couple of seasons.

FFP is dictating that we must earn money in order to spend it, and best way to do it is to spot players with potential that we can improve and move on for profit.

Just hope that we have scouting team in place that can indetify such targets.

On 13/05/2020 at 11:08, malek said:

Byrne was by far the best Oldham's player, but after their relegation they couldn't afford his wages.

And as player said himself, after his move to Ireland he fell in love with football again. He is even expected to become permanent fixture in ROI national side now Kenny took over.

https://www.buzz.ie/football/oldham-athletic-fans-furious-league-two-club-terminate-jack-byrnes-contract-297811

He was fired

lol

On 11/05/2020 at 11:43, S26 Owl said:

That midfield foundation is very good. They all add something, some astute signings (something wednesday don't do) and we look good there. 

Fox and fletcher (wage dependent) must be signed. 

Its a sad state of affairs which sums up how far we have fallen when people are crying out for Fox to be kept on. He was everybody's boo boy a year ago and whilst he may have improved slightly with games, he still is nowhere near good enough