Sheffield Wednesday Squad for next season as things stand:

Re-sign Fox, Fletcher for continuity and Penney for potential. 

Ship out other deadwood like Rhodes where possible (much much easier said than done) and move on Westwood (isn’t going to play and we have cover). 

We’ll probably need a minimum of another 8-9 players. 

4-5 bosmans

2-3 young players for fees under £1m from lower leagues that have potential

2 EPL loanees 

Make every one of the new players under 27 years old and look closely at personality and desire to succeed as well as talent. 

Edited by RichSheffWeds

11 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Make every one of the new players under 27 years old and look closely at personality and desire to succeed as well as talent. 

How do you judge that.?

Pretty sure when we were in talks to sign Abdi and Rhodes they would have showed a desire to succeed. They wouldnt have said. Actually we are just here for the big pay day.

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

How do you judge that.?

Pretty sure when we were in talks to sign Abdi and Rhodes they would have showed a desire to succeed. They wouldnt have said. Actually we are just here for the big pay day.

Through as much time and money at personality testing as you can afford. 

I’d use the latest psychometric testing/employ experts to look at their personality traits etc.

Speak to contacts in the game about them. 

Look in as much detail as you can at their history/track record. 

Spend time in trial periods on putting them in situations where you can test their resilience and character.

Most players have got ability if they have come through the system - what makes the difference in life is the desire to succeed. 

In an ideal world (and this is never going to happen) I’d  put every potential new recruit through a weeks course with the SAS - you’d soon weed out the wasters. 

In fact, I’d bring the whole squad back a week early and put them all through it. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

E6BB28FD-09B7-43E3-BC88-75250FAF11F1.jpeg

Goalkeepers: Westwood, Dawson, Wildsmith.

Defenders: Palmer, Odujabo, Lees, Iorfa, van Aken, Borner.

Midfielders: Harris, Bannan, Luongo, Hunt, Reach.

Strikers: Rhodes

Out of that I’d be looking to offload Westwood Palmer Lees van Aken and Rhodes! 

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

Then in 12 months time Westwood, Palmer, Lees, Van Aken, Borner, Harris, Bannan, Reach, Rhodes are all out of contract leaving us about 5 or 6 first team players on a contract longer than 12 months.

Will we ever learn as a club to stop thinking so short term all the time. You should never have more than 4 or 5 players leaving on frees, either move them on earlier in the contracts and either save on wages or get fees in or resign players you want/need such as Fox, Fletcher, Fessi.

We are absolutely terrible at this. Should be thinking 2 or 3 years ahead regardless of the league we’re in ! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 0114 said:

On top of that Monk doesn’t rate Odubajo, Westwood and Rhodes. So your looking at over 10 incomings this summer. Needed a refresh like this for 3 years.

Monk will be very lucky to be here next season too. It might not matter who he rates and doesn’t.

2 hours ago, malek said:

I watched Byrne a lot over the years and indeed think that he is a good player. It didn't work out for him since leaving Manchester City, but it is not because he can't play. He would provide cheap gamble for club at this level. Wouldn't be surprised if he start next season at Championship club.

Mandroiu got qualities that are needed at any level. Ability to shoot  from long range with either foot and his sudden change of pace while running with the ball should make him worth taking a look at. And yes, I've seen enough of Irish league to get an idea what standard of quality it is.

I want us to produce players and think club should give more of a chance to young lads coming through academy and development sides as I think it would make us more sustainable. As you could read few weeks ago, no club in professional football in England played youngsters less then we did. Sorry, but that is a disgrace.

How many of those didn't progress because we failed to develop them and helped ruin their careers ?!

Mate a guy that couldn’t get in Killie’s starting XI shouldn’t be anywhere near ours. I get that Byrne will be cheap and a low risk gamble, he could improve and he may have potential as a squad player, but I’m not convinced he’s ever going to be the right level. I don’t know enough about the Irish Leagues to comment on them. 

Who would you suggest from Scotland?

27 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Monk will be very lucky to be here next season too. It might not matter who he rates and doesn’t.

Mate a guy that couldn’t get in Killie’s starting XI shouldn’t be anywhere near ours. I get that Byrne will be cheap and a low risk gamble, he could improve and he may have potential as a squad player, but I’m not convinced he’s ever going to be the right level. I don’t know enough about the Irish Leagues to comment on them. 

Who would you suggest from Scotland?

From what I've heard in an article about Byrne, Clarke never really gave him chance as he wasn't one who brought him to the club. They were flying and he didn't want to break change side that was "flying" in SPL at the time. Even more importantly it seems that Byrne fell out of love with football at the time, and he is now motivated and enjoys playing again. Would be worth a go for his set-piece deliveries alone :happy:

Whomever I name from SPL I will get ridiculed on here. There are plenty good players, but sadly it seems we can't afford likes of Hickey, Souttar, McKenna, Turnbull...

I'm a fan of Aberdeen's Lewis Ferguson who might be affordable. Big, strong 20 years old box to box midfielder who is also mobile, got good touch and looks capable of getting goals from midfield. To me looks capable of playing CM in 4-4-2 formation.

Another central midfielder who would cost less, but would need to develop is St Johnstone's central midfielder Ali McCann. Reminds me very much of young Glenn Whelan from his time with us. Can play infront of back four or as box to box midfielder. Intelligent fella with good touch and great passing skill. Needs to get bit stronger, but looking at his constitution, he will.

I mentioned many young central midfielders in this thread as players worth taking a look at, but I would be very careful not to block path to first team of those already at the club, such as Hunt, Shaw and Grant.

Edited by malek

6 hours ago, andypandy said:

Most Wednesday fans have been saying for a good while, that the squad needs, overhauling, refreshing........With all the contracts up this year,gives us the perfect opportunity to achieve this and get us going in the right direction, rather than just treading water.

Can we go in the right direction if we are embargoed. 
I’m not aware of any starlets in our under23 squad. 

It’s an absurd situation to be in, and don’t suppose there’s another club in the country that has got itself into such a predicament Look at our recruitment record, there is nothing to indicate we will get this right Even in recent times, it’s been poor. Since the end of last season, we’ve brought in 9 players, probably the amount needed now Of those who were brought in, mainly by Bruce and his team, but latterly by Monk, how many could be deemed a success? Not many, perhaps Borner, Harris, and latterly Murphy, have had their moments but have been far from consistent The rest, not sure that any of them have improved us. We are all talking about a reset, and unearthing some real gems but what gives anybody confidence that this will happen? If Bruce couldn’t do it, I don’t fancy Monk’s chances of getting it right

Edited by gurujuan

7 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Really!

You want to give Nuhiu a new contract and have him lead our attack next season.

We've had 7 years of mediocrity from him. Time to say bye and move on. 

I'm afraid if Nuhiu is going to be our main striker, League 1 here we come.

He will smash it in league 1 tho 

something to hopefully look forward too 

• Haha 1

love to know how there is a next season with the lets stay on lockdown groupies saying lets just close everything down stay in houses close everything down . unless a huge pot of money is given to football league clubs (which it wont) then how can there be a next season? without supporters football is nothing , the safety safety crew wont allow football supporters anywhere near grounds for 2-3 years . im pretty good at looking forward and I don't see any answers but a complete car crash . 

1 minute ago, handworth52 said:

love to know how there is a next season with the lets stay on lockdown groupies saying lets just close everything down stay in houses close everything down . unless a huge pot of money is given to football league clubs (which it wont) then how can there be a next season? without supporters football is nothing , the safety safety crew wont allow football supporters anywhere near grounds for 2-3 years . im pretty good at looking forward and I don't see any answers but a complete car crash . 

It'll be ok mate

Stay safe

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, malek said:

From what I've heard in an article about Byrne, Clarke never really gave him chance as he wasn't one who brought him to the club. They were flying and he didn't want to break change side that was "flying" in SPL at the time. Even more importantly it seems that Byrne fell out of love with football at the time, and he is now motivated and enjoys playing again. Would be worth a go for his set-piece deliveries alone :happy:

Whomever I name from SPL I will get ridiculed on here. There are plenty good players, but sadly it seems we can't afford likes of Hickey, Souttar, McKenna, Turnbull...

I'm a fan of Aberdeen's Lewis Ferguson who might be affordable. Big, strong 20 years old box to box midfielder who is also mobile, got good touch and looks capable of getting goals from midfield. To me looks capable of playing CM in 4-4-2 formation.

Another central midfielder who would cost less, but would need to develop is St Johnstone's central midfielder Ali McCann. Reminds me very much of young Glenn Whelan from his time with us. Can play infront of back four or as box to box midfielder. Intelligent fella with good touch and great passing skill. Needs to get bit stronger, but looking at his constitution, he will.

I mentioned many young central midfielders in this thread as players worth taking a look at, but I would be very careful not to block path to first team of those already at the club, such as Hunt, Shaw and Grant.

Lewis Ferguson is a cracking player but he’s another in the can’t afford category I think. He has 4 years on his contract, Aberdeen definitely won’t be looking to lose him, and sadly I don’t think he’d move somewhere like Wednesday either if he does move. I rate Ferguson much higher than McKenna and think he will do more with his career. I don’t think McKenna is worth anywhere near the cash Aberdeen want for him or the £7m they turned down from Villa. Ali McCann is another good player but again he is tied down for a long period so he’d cost a fee. I think Wednesday need to be looking at value in the Bosman market and there should be plenty of that after the pandemic.

Hickey is being watched by Bayern, Milan have been looking at him too, as well as a number of English Prem clubs. I’m praying he goes abroad rather than going back along the M8. If we are expelled from the SPFL then we will be open to offers for all players so Souttar might not be out of the equation. He has been out with a long term injury though and he has had a few now for a young player. I worry it’s going to affect him.

• Thanks 1

Every window we come up with names, most of them fanciful, but we never come close to bringing in those type of players As I mentioned earlier, nothing in our previous recruitment strategy indicates we will get any part of this right

Edited by gurujuan

Just now, gurujuan said:

Every window we come up with names, most of them fanciful, but we never come close to bringing in those type of players As I mentioned earlier, nothing in a previous recruitment strategy indicates we will get any part of this right

It feels like when you buy your new house.

You spend £X000's buying the house, but also spend the rest of your money doing it up, making it yours etc

After that you live in it without spending much on it at all and just getting by.

lol

Owlstalk Shop

32 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Lewis Ferguson is a cracking player but he’s another in the can’t afford category I think. He has 4 years on his contract, Aberdeen definitely won’t be looking to lose him, and sadly I don’t think he’d move somewhere like Wednesday either if he does move. I rate Ferguson much higher than McKenna and think he will do more with his career. I don’t think McKenna is worth anywhere near the cash Aberdeen want for him or the £7m they turned down from Villa. Ali McCann is another good player but again he is tied down for a long period so he’d cost a fee. I think Wednesday need to be looking at value in the Bosman market and there should be plenty of that after the pandemic.

Hickey is being watched by Bayern, Milan have been looking at him too, as well as a number of English Prem clubs. I’m praying he goes abroad rather than going back along the M8. If we are expelled from the SPFL then we will be open to offers for all players so Souttar might not be out of the equation. He has been out with a long term injury though and he has had a few now for a young player. I worry it’s going to affect him.

Thanks mate, always great to hear your opinion.

Are there any SPL players you would like to see Wednesday take interest in ?

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Exciting times

It looks scary doesn't it but when you see the figures for the EFL as a whole, many will be in the same boat.

It has been reported that 1,400 players will be out of contract next month at the 71 league clubs, that's an average of nearly 20 per club. Not sure many will be actively looking to replace 20 players in any great hurry with no idea of when the football league is likely to kick off again for a new season.