Sheffield Wednesday Squad for next season as things stand:

16 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Fletcher the only one of the first teamers that deserves a new contract imo. Be very disappointing if people like Nuhiu and Pessy get new contracts. 

Fletcher new deal at the right money for us, Fox if a better player cannot be found, Nuihu gone like he should have been 2 years ago.

For me I would also offer Fessi reduce terms probably will be off, but when fit and playing well as has happened the end of last few season we won't get a like for like replacement for a free, on less money than he will cost us for a season and has shown more that the faltering Harris and reach on the left flank. 

The rest can go, BUT if no replacements are signed or the club is still in the financial black hole we may have to keep players we normally would not have done because we are not allowed to sign suitable replacements.

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Fletcher new deal at the right money for us, Fox if a better player cannot be found, Nuihu gone like he should have been 2 years ago.

For me I would also offer Fessi reduce terms probably will be off, but when fit and playing well as has happened the end of last few season we won't get a like for like replacement for a free, on less money than he will cost us for a season and has shown more that the faltering Harris and reach on the left flank. 

The rest can go, BUT if no replacements are signed or the club is still in the financial black hole we may have to keep players we normally would not have done because we are not allowed to sign suitable replacements.

agree with most of that however I honestly would rather a few of the young lads be promoted and get rid of Pessy, Nuhiu etc. 

7 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

agree with most of that however I honestly would rather a few of the young lads be promoted and get rid of Pessy, Nuhiu etc. 

I want some to make the step up too, give Borukov, Hunt, Shaw and a few of the other a chance and their combined new deals will probably be less than resigning squad players in Pelupessy and Nuihu will cost us.

We have to be smart with the finances over the next few years, but still remain competitive and when you have too many squad fillers and players sat in the stands, even loaning the likes of Hutch, Westwood, Rhodes, Winnall out with us paying 50% of their salary would have saved us millions this season. But that is not the way things work now at the club.

We have 9 players and 5 loan players out of contract the end of this season (when ever that may be), then another 7 (Westwood, Reach, Bannan, Palmer, Lees, Rhodes, Urhoghide) in 12 months time, leaving us just 5 players in contract after the end of next season and 2 of them are goal keepers.

With Co-Vid hitting the management of the club off and on the field could have a massive impact on us, if we release all the out of contract players we have about 12 players left in the first team, we realistically will need about 5 or 6 new players in different positions plus kids stepping up from the development squad. 

I genuinely worry what could be left of the club when football eventually gets back to normal or what division we are in.

57 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Agree, a lot of this squad have offered very little over the course of their contracts. 

We have to move away from the familiar and take the club forward.

We've been crying out for new blood for years, now is the chance to do that.

With FFP likely to be relaxed and the whole of football facing a reality check, probably driving down fees and wages this summer at least, we have opportunity to do good business. Say what you like about DC, he does seem to have deep pockets, if allowed to spend. 

Edited by striker

On 11/05/2020 at 11:25, @owlstalk said:

E6BB28FD-09B7-43E3-BC88-75250FAF11F1.jpeg

Goalkeepers: Westwood, Dawson, Wildsmith.

Defenders: Palmer, Odujabo, Lees, Iorfa, van Aken, Borner.

Midfielders: Harris, Bannan, Luongo, Hunt, Reach.

Strikers: Rhodes

That looks terrible .cant see why people think that midfield good enough0

If rumors that we want to sign Nathan Holland for 1m from West Ham are right, then it is certainly a step in the right direction. Even if we don't bring him in, it is exactly a type of player that we should look to build around.

Personally I would want us to test Southampton's resolve to hang onto Callum Slattery and look to bring him in for start of the next season.

With him and Holland we would have couple of players we could build around for a long term and hopefully develop into Premiership quality.

11 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Can anyone shed some light onto the contract lengths of Odubajo and Harris as they weren’t disclosed when they signed? It may be that one or both were only offered a short term contract. 

Think I read somewhere Harris was 2 years, could be wrong though and Odubajo possibly the same?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, striker said:

Think I read somewhere Harris was 2 years, could be wrong though and Odubajo possibly the same?

Odubajo was 2? Harris, Borner and Luongo were 3? I think Iorfa has 2 more years left after this season? Bottom line is we’re potentially going to lose a lot of players over the next 12 months or so?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, room0035 said:

I want some to make the step up too, give Borukov, Hunt, Shaw and a few of the other a chance and their combined new deals will probably be less than resigning squad players in Pelupessy and Nuihu will cost us.

We have to be smart with the finances over the next few years, but still remain competitive and when you have too many squad fillers and players sat in the stands, even loaning the likes of Hutch, Westwood, Rhodes, Winnall out with us paying 50% of their salary would have saved us millions this season. But that is not the way things work now at the club.

We have 9 players and 5 loan players out of contract the end of this season (when ever that may be), then another 7 (Westwood, Reach, Bannan, Palmer, Lees, Rhodes, Urhoghide) in 12 months time, leaving us just 5 players in contract after the end of next season and 2 of them are goal keepers.

With Co-Vid hitting the management of the club off and on the field could have a massive impact on us, if we release all the out of contract players we have about 12 players left in the first team, we realistically will need about 5 or 6 new players in different positions plus kids stepping up from the development squad. 

I genuinely worry what could be left of the club when football eventually gets back to normal or what division we are in.

Cost of wages likely to drop.

Fees for players likely to drop. 

Players coming off big contracts is good news for us in that scenario. 

Perversely, the horrible situation with the virus may mean we have the chance to cut our cloth and start to reduce our losses. 

We all know we have to start living within our means especially with FFP issues hanging over us. 

3 hours ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Perversely, the horrible situation with the virus may mean we have the chance to cut our cloth and start to reduce our losses.  

You say this but the reality is that if we are going to be without fans for the most of next season then the wages of Westwood and Rhodes alone ( two players deemed surplus to requirements) will probably take a massive chuck out of our overall income. 

Its going to be really bad. Especially if you are a club with alot of high earners still on the books.

Being old, I’ve been here before. History repeating itself. The “ get rid and bring in young hungry players/ get the young uns in” approach is fine IF you have/ can get the right players.

This should have been happening constantly, not being done in a few weeks.

plus, and I know I harp on about this, but I really don’t trust monk to identify train and manage a whole new team.

On 11/05/2020 at 11:36, @owlstalk said:

You could be right.... we’d need at least three goalkeepers in the starting lineup with a squad like that.

Looking at that, not only is that our entire squad, it could also be the actual starting lineup and formation

lol

I would just love to see players purchased with a style of play identified and not a square peg round hole scenario.

It is an opportunity to transition and use the crisis to move forward which sounds hard but true

I don't know if monk is the answer but at least with some negative big earners on there way out it and a chance to bring in HIS PLAYERS there's no excuse or hiding place

On 11/05/2020 at 13:39, beef said:

I'm fine with this. Try and move on Rhodes and Westwood because of their wages and offer a deal to Fletcher on reduces wages then try and build with a much younger side. There are so many good players in league 1 and league 2 who we could try and sign and would have a resale value as well. Players like Scott Fraser at Burton, who has 5 goals and 11 assists this season, is 25 and out of contract. Surely worth taking a chance on a few like this 

The benefit of all this in footballing terms has to be that our scouting team have a great deal of time to review footage of players and really develop a robust well considered recruitment policy to get us a balance of youth and experience. 

Oh and quality hopefully!

1 hour ago, IlkestonOwl said:

I would just love to see players purchased with a style of play identified and not a square peg round hole scenario.

It is an opportunity to transition and use the crisis to move forward which sounds hard but true

I don't know if monk is the answer but at least with some negative big earners on there way out it and a chance to bring in HIS PLAYERS there's no excuse or hiding place

Yes, I can’t get enthusiastic about any recruitment while we are a side with no identity We have gone from Carlos, who liked technical players, to Monk who prefers a long ball style. Whether it’s because the fans don’t like it, or the players hate playing that way, but we’ve ended up with the worst of both systems. A clearer way of playing, will make the recruitment teams job a heck of a lot simpler

Edited by gurujuan

On 11/05/2020 at 11:43, S26 Owl said:

That midfield foundation is very good. They all add something, some astute signings (something wednesday don't do) and we look good there. 

Fox and fletcher (wage dependent) must be signed. 

Although to be fair Harris, Luongo, Borner Iorfa have been quite astute. They have changed something.

This summer presents an opportunity but we are entering an unprecedented window and market so who knows what will happen!