Sheffield Wednesday Squad for next season as things stand:

4 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

When has he ever been our main forward? 

That's what McMigo was suggesting. Though I suspect he was on the wind up.

Though what's the point of paying good money to a player who isn't good enough to start games.

Edited by Tommy Crawshaw

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

E6BB28FD-09B7-43E3-BC88-75250FAF11F1.jpeg

Goalkeepers: Westwood, Dawson, Wildsmith.

Defenders: Palmer, Odujabo, Lees, Iorfa, van Aken, Borner.

Midfielders: Harris, Bannan, Luongo, Hunt, Reach.

Strikers: Rhodes

If we could add Fletcher, Penney, Fox and keep Windass, 

that wouldn’t be a great squad on its own but it’s a foundation of sorts.

9 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

That's what McMigo was suggesting. Though I suspect he was on the wind up.

Though what's the point of paying good money to a player who isn't good enough to start games.

Cos it's about having a squad and it works off much better financially to have him then pay 500k for someone who'd be as frustrating, with a signing on fee and higher wages too boot. 

2 hours ago, 0114 said:

On top of that Monk doesn’t rate Odubajo, Westwood and Rhodes. So your looking at over 10 incomings this summer. Needed a refresh like this for 3 years.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Exciting times

And we've not got a penny to spend in doing it, extremely exciting that... Won't be able to build anything more than a mid-table side with frees and loans.

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

We couldn't even move on Westwood and Rhodes without the Coronavirus impacting the transfer market. We got absolutely no chance now.

Agree, but I live in hope.

I also think that this summer DC may be more inclined to consider a free transfer, rather than fees and let's be fair, neither have any transfer value anyway. (Aren't Celtic still linked with Rhodes if free?)

Their combined financial drain on the budget at least £2.5m over the season, neither going to get a sniff of game time so at the point where anything back in the pot in terms of wages saved, either permanent or loan surely has to be considered. 

1 hour ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

What players in Irish  leagues ( ROI and Northern Ireland) are you referring to who could get you promoted to PL?

There is certainly no one in Northern Irish leagues.

Its easy to talk about young, talented and ambitious but its a cliche.

If you think we will get promoted next season, then I think you are sadly mistaken.

There are player in ROI league that are talented, inexpensive and that can be developed and sold for profit.

I still think that Jack Byrne is a proper player, certainly worth a gamble for most Championship sides.

Daniel Mandroiu would cost less and id very talented although "rough" player. If signed by a club that will know how to help him fulfill his potential he could be a genuine bargain.

Those are two I rate the most, but there are more I would want us to take a look at.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Looking at that, not only is that our entire squad, it could also be the actual starting lineup and formation

lol

I like the idea of playing with three keepers.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Then in 12 months time Westwood, Palmer, Lees, Van Aken, Borner, Harris, Bannan, Reach, Rhodes are all out of contract leaving us about 5 or 6 first team players on a contract longer than 12 months.

Will we ever learn as a club to stop thinking so short term all the time. You should never have more than 4 or 5 players leaving on frees, either move them on earlier in the contracts and either save on wages or get fees in or resign players you want/need such as Fox, Fletcher, Fessi.

21 minutes ago, malek said:

If you think we will get promoted next season, then I think you are sadly mistaken.

There are player in ROI league that are talented, inexpensive and that can be developed and sold for profit.

I still think that Jack Byrne is a proper player, certainly worth a gamble for most Championship sides.

Daniel Mandroiu would cost less and id very talented although "rough" player. If signed by a club that will know how to help him fulfill his potential he could be a genuine bargain.

Those are two I rate the most, but there are more I would want us to take a look at.

Ok make that for any championship club.

He is in League of Ireland for a reason as his record in England reflects that. You have this romantic notion he will prosper  in  England.

The same for Daniel Mandrou, he is playing in a semi pro league way below Championship level,

We simply can't prosper on fanciful notions.

You banged on for years about how all these academy players should have played for us. They never progressed in  the game,

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

On the face of it there is the spine of a good team there, just need a few good additions and not the usual journey men looking for a last payday.

Also a new owner and manager who know what they are doing wouldn't go a miss.

1 hour ago, striker said:

I also think that this summer DC may be more inclined to consider a free transfer, rather than fees and let's be fair, neither have any transfer value anyway. (Aren't Celtic still linked with Rhodes if free?)

Their combined financial drain on the budget at least £2.5m over the season, neither going to get a sniff of game time so at the point where anything back in the pot in terms of wages saved, either permanent or loan surely has to be considered. 

There’s rumours that the ffp will be scrapped/paused for the time being so it maybe a good time to get Rhodes and others of the wage bill after all, if that’s the case. 

4 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

There’s rumours that the ffp will be scrapped/paused for the time being so it maybe a good time to get Rhodes and others of the wage bill after all, if that’s the case. 

That would be sensible. FFP isn't fit for purpose anyway, especially now considering the financial hit every club is going to take.

10 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Ok make that for any championship club.

He is in League of Ireland for a reason as his record in England reflects that. You have this romantic notion he will prosper  in  England.

The same for Daniel Mandrou, he is playing in a semi pro league way below Championship level,

We simply can't prosper on fanciful notions.

You banged on for years about how all these academy players should have played for us. They never progressed in  the game,

I watched Byrne a lot over the years and indeed think that he is a good player. It didn't work out for him since leaving Manchester City, but it is not because he can't play. He would provide cheap gamble for club at this level. Wouldn't be surprised if he start next season at Championship club.

Mandroiu got qualities that are needed at any level. Ability to shoot  from long range with either foot and his sudden change of pace while running with the ball should make him worth taking a look at. And yes, I've seen enough of Irish league to get an idea what standard of quality it is.

I want us to produce players and think club should give more of a chance to young lads coming through academy and development sides as I think it would make us more sustainable. As you could read few weeks ago, no club in professional football in England played youngsters less then we did. Sorry, but that is a disgrace.

How many of those didn't progress because we failed to develop them and helped ruin their careers ?!

1 hour ago, striker said:

Must be the biggest village in the world, considering how many people live in HOPE.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, malek said:

I watched Byrne a lot over the years and indeed think that he is a good player. It didn't work out for him since leaving Manchester City, but it is not because he can't play. He would provide cheap gamble for club at this level. Wouldn't be surprised if he start next season at Championship club.

Mandroiu got qualities that are needed at any level. Ability to shoot  from long range with either foot and his sudden change of pace while running with the ball should make him worth taking a look at. And yes, I've seen enough of Irish league to get an idea what standard of quality it is.

I want us to produce players and think club should give more of a chance to young lads coming through academy and development sides as I think it would make us more sustainable. As you could read few weeks ago, no club in professional football in England played youngsters less then we did. Sorry, but that is a disgrace.

How many of those didn't progress because we failed to develop them and helped ruin their careers ?!

Ive watched League of Ireland and it is a weak league and quite unbalanced. You cant seriously want to chuck someone into the pressure of championship football because they can look tricky in this league. 

Why do you think Byrne has fallen down the ladder and failed in England? Its been at a few clubs. He is back in Ireland for a reason.

As for our youth players are you blaming us for their failings?  Why didnt they.move and shine at other clubs

How often did you see them play to justify playing senior level? 

All of these transfer discussions and contract talk has to be put in context. There are usually five types of main income in the championship;

1. Parachute payments
  2. Matchday/ST revenue
  3. TV
  4. Transfers
  5. Owner funded losses

Parachute payments are guaranteed next season. Legally assured parachute payments up to £44m each will be given to 7 to 9 clubs -  3 relegated, WBA, Fulham, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Stoke, Swansea. These clubs if they haven't got huge overhanging debts - just Stoke really - will have an even more massive advantage than usual.

For the other clubs ....Matchday/ST revenue and probably transfer fees has collapsed for a time. TV is negligible. That leaves owners to stump up the rest.

Meeting P&S/FFP would send clubs bust, its that simple.

The only way, outside of using spare parachute money, to fund a Premiership challenge next season is probably for club owners to be barmy/desperate enough to burn their own cash and have a big punt on signing a load of free agents.

Does anyone know of someone like that?

15 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Ive watched League of Ireland and it is a weak league and quite unbalanced. You cant seriously want to chuck someone into the pressure of championship football because they can look tricky in this league. 

Why do you think Byrne has fallen down the ladder and failed in England? Its been at a few clubs. He is back in Ireland for a reason.

As for our youth players are you blaming us for their failings?  Why didnt they.move and shine at other clubs

Spot on post - some of our youth players think they are worth £20k a week after playing 5 games

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

It is not about Byrne and Mandroiu. They are just a couple of players that I personally think have certain qualities that are fairly rare at this level, and should be looked at considering they would cost little and might prove good fit for club like ours. But I might well be wrong, I've been before and I will be again. Point is that we must look for talent that we can develop and sell for profit as well as young player we will be able to build around for the future.

I know all about Byrne, I've been following him from his City days, watching him n youth Champions League up to his current days at Shamrock Rovers. However I don't think he is lacking in talent and it certainly aint a reason why he is playing in Ireland right now.

Absolutely ! Players get ruined by clubs every season, and we got long list of those that we helped ruin. I'm not talking only about young academy prospects here as well.

There are plenty of examples, and I'm certainly not going through names on here.