Sheffield Wednesday Squad for next season as things stand:

9 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Although to be fair Harris, Luongo, Borner Iorfa have been quite astute. They have changed something.

This summer presents an opportunity but we are entering an unprecedented window and market so who knows what will happen!

Yes, all those 4 have been useful additions to the squad, all a bit hit and miss, but on their day, can be decent at this level. As you mention, this window presents an opportunity, but if we want to get back to the levels of seasons 1 and 2, we will need to do some fantastic business. We will need to replace mainstays like Westwood, Hutchinson, Lee, Forestieri, and maybe even Fletcher. Our recruitment cannot be as hit and miss as it has been for pretty much the whole time DC has been here

Edited by gurujuan

I've said it before.

We need a total overhaul. Would rather have a manageable 3 years in mid table but running off a budget like Preston and actually looking like a business than just basically throwing sh111t at a wall and seeing what sticks.

The whole club from top to bottom needs an overhaul. 

Chansiri needs help in a footballing way and needs to back off.... can he do it?

Monk either needs to be able to make his own mould or also be shown the door as we cannot invest in him then get rid.

Now is the perfect opportunity to end this sheeeet show and move forward.

53 minutes ago, GHS said:

I've said it before.

We need a total overhaul. Would rather have a manageable 3 years in mid table but running off a budget like Preston and actually looking like a business than just basically throwing sh111t at a wall and seeing what sticks.

The whole club from top to bottom needs an overhaul. 

Chansiri needs help in a footballing way and needs to back off.... can he do it?

Monk either needs to be able to make his own mould or also be shown the door as we cannot invest in him then get rid.

Now is the perfect opportunity to end this sheeeet show and move forward.

Your 100 percent right, but you know this will 200 percent not happen !!!

1 minute ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Your 100 percent right, but you know this will 200 percent not happen !!!

We can live in hope.

But in all seriousness, bring ticket process down and invest in young talent.

Preston for example have played us of the park a good number of times and my away experience in going there has been torrid at times. Their wage bill must be miniscule compared to us.

I just want us to have an identity, cut our cloth accordingly and make me proud of our club and players again.

I keep reading comments about our transfer policy. Now my memory isn’t brilliant and I will stand correcting but in terms of success / failures in transfers, and of the top of my head.

first year under Carlos, FF et al, and we were creaming our pants.

second year under Carlos was Jones et al, which we were meh.

year three under Jo’s, van aken  pelepussy et al. Aaaaargh

year four under Bruce, Harris et al.  Mmmmm interesting could be good

year four and bit under monk. Whickam et al...wtf?

please forgive my memory, but there appears a correlation between quality of manager and quality of players signed. Given that year 1and 2 under Carlos was like two different managers 

On 11/05/2020 at 15:02, malek said:

If you think we will get promoted next season, then I think you are sadly mistaken.

There are player in ROI league that are talented, inexpensive and that can be developed and sold for profit.

I still think that Jack Byrne is a proper player, certainly worth a gamble for most Championship sides.

Daniel Mandroiu would cost less and id very talented although "rough" player. If signed by a club that will know how to help him fulfill his potential he could be a genuine bargain.

Those are two I rate the most, but there are more I would want us to take a look at.

Byrne May be a good player in those league but he if he can’t make it at Oldham what hope has he got here?

26 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

Byrne May be a good player in those league but he if he can’t make it at Oldham what hope has he got here?

Byrne was by far the best Oldham's player, but after their relegation they couldn't afford his wages.

And as player said himself, after his move to Ireland he fell in love with football again. He is even expected to become permanent fixture in ROI national side now Kenny took over.

1 hour ago, GHS said:

We can live in hope.

But in all seriousness, bring ticket process down and invest in young talent.

Preston for example have played us of the park a good number of times and my away experience in going there has been torrid at times. Their wage bill must be miniscule compared to us.

I just want us to have an identity, cut our cloth accordingly and make me proud of our club and players again.

Yep they are doing it the right way, look at where all there young players come from.... the Man U academy, or one of the top flight ones. There around the age of 20 and then persist with them for a couple of years until they develop into quality players.

We would get one in that category, play them for 2 games, slate them put them in the 23's and never see them again.

How long have we all been waiting for this clear out? Given the chance I would keep Fletch and Bannan but get rid of van Aken, Westwood and Rhodes. Look at someone like Toney from Peterborough who knocks them in for fun to go up front.

6 minutes ago, BigD1867 said:

How long have we all been waiting for this clear out? Given the chance I would keep Fletch and Bannan but get rid of van Aken, Westwood and Rhodes. Look at someone like Toney from Peterborough who knocks them in for fun to go up front.

Quoted fee for Toney is supposed to be huge for club in our situation.

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, all those 4 have been useful additions to the squad, all a bit hit and miss, but on their day, can be decent at this level. As you mention, this window presents an opportunity, but if we want to get back to the levels of seasons 1 and 2, we will need to do some fantastic business. We will need to replace mainstays like Westwood, Hutchinson, Lee, Forestieri, and maybe even Fletcher. Our recruitment cannot be as hit and miss as it has been for pretty much the whole time DC has been here

I think most clubs have a hit and miss record on these things, I don’t expect to get back to those levels right away but to bring in players with scope to improve and/or finding bargains like Luongo, Iorfa and Harris should hopefully allow us to keep things fresh in the future as we can buy and sell easier 

21 hours ago, room0035 said:

I want some to make the step up too, give Borukov, Hunt, Shaw and a few of the other a chance and their combined new deals will probably be less than resigning squad players in Pelupessy and Nuihu will cost us.

We have to be smart with the finances over the next few years, but still remain competitive and when you have too many squad fillers and players sat in the stands, even loaning the likes of Hutch, Westwood, Rhodes, Winnall out with us paying 50% of their salary would have saved us millions this season. But that is not the way things work now at the club.

We have 9 players and 5 loan players out of contract the end of this season (when ever that may be), then another 7 (Westwood, Reach, Bannan, Palmer, Lees, Rhodes, Urhoghide) in 12 months time, leaving us just 5 players in contract after the end of next season and 2 of them are goal keepers.

With Co-Vid hitting the management of the club off and on the field could have a massive impact on us, if we release all the out of contract players we have about 12 players left in the first team, we realistically will need about 5 or 6 new players in different positions plus kids stepping up from the development squad. 

I genuinely worry what could be left of the club when football eventually gets back to normal or what division we are in.

The issue we have is that if we bring the youngsters in to give them the chance hey deserve from the form they have shown in their age group leagues, we, as fans, expect them to deliver from day one rather than give them a chance to develop at senior level.  Until WE realise that they won’t have perfect games every time they step onto the pitch, there is little point in blooding them apart from the odd cup game as too many people will be on their backs demoralising them if they have a slightly less than average game, let alone a bad one!

If we get someone in to advise DC on football matters, and DC lets the changes be made and allows the team to develop, we have a chance in 2-3 seasons time of challenging again.  However if we persist in changing managers, the squad and tactics, then we will at best, just be A.N. Other championship side which none of us want.

I’m not sure that any of the age group players yet deserve a chance in the first team Some did well at U18 level, but I’m not aware that any have stood out since stepping up. That’s not meaning to be harsh, as some might have been making steady progress, but none have had the consistency of performance to warrant a call up That has to be the aim, and it’s always good when one of our own makes the grade, but we can’t promote them for the sake of it

1 hour ago, BigD1867 said:

Peterborough will want big money for a striker “who knocks them in for fun”

Unless his contract ends in the summer you are looking at £5m plus. 

We simply can’t afford big fees. Those days are over.

Humongous refresh needed and something thats been needed for a bloody long time ...

Joke really considering the amount spent on players, who we've stockpiled and what we've squandered ...

We need a lot of youth players brought in, young, hungry players that will fight tooth and nail for their place and when playing.

I hope we make full use of the loan market as well and bring in at least 4 loanees, a mix of youth and experience...

Gonna be really interesting to see what happens

You can easily build a team around Rhodes and say Luongo and Borner and Iorfa at the back .. just getting the right blend around them

Also wouldn't be against flogging the likes of Bannan ($$$) and Westwood because he aint gonna be playing any time soon

21 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I’m not sure that any of the age group players yet deserve a chance in the first team Some did well at U18 level, but I’m not aware that any have stood out since stepping up. That’s not meaning to be harsh, as some might have been making steady progress, but none have had the consistency of performance to warrant a call up That has to be the aim, and it’s always good when one of our own makes the grade, but we can’t promote them for the sake of it

We might have no choice but to promote some youngsters?

Thing is for me, Chansiri is coming to his first crossroads as Wednesday owner. The decisions made both in terms of recruiting Manager and Players in his first two years were by and large successful in the sense we were where we wanted to be in the table.

Since then it’s gone wrong. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if we had kept Carlos I don’t think we would’ve been as bad as we have been over the last three years? So much so I think Chansiri regrets that decision and would have him back tomorrow if at all possible?

Some fans would go ballistic but apart from Bruce, he’s the only manager that the owner has appointed who has proven he can have a team competitive at this level?

Back to the crossroads Chansiri finds himself at. He needs to decide on a fresh approach recruitment wise. The signing of proven championship players almost worked but alas didn’t. The fans are at an ambivalent stage which he could take advantage of. This would mean trying to sign young hungry players whether it be from the lower leagues here in England. Young players just released from Premier

League teams or who @malek has suggested, youngsters from Scotland, Ireland and maybe Wales?

If he went down this route and also invested heavily in the academy I think he would get a degree of patience from the fans but admission prices would have to come down but they may have to anyway just like transfer fees and wages will more than likely come down?

We are at the start of a potentially exciting new era for this club and perhaps even football as a whole? I hope Chansiri takes advantage of this opportunity but I do think whether he does or not will be like flicking a coin and seeing which side it lands on?