Whats your first worst defeat as a Wednesdayite

First away game I went to was probably the worst first defeat I watched in real time.

Newcastle (A), 19th September 1999

Here’s the kicker: it was a birthday present from my uncle (also a mad Wednesdayite). He’s never stopped apologizing about it😆😆😆😆

• Haha 2

Guest Garryswfcowl72

Remember losing 4-0 at home to Wrexham in early 80’s & crying my dad said get used to it son . Also losing 2-0 at the stain in 1991 was hard Beacuse it was the first time I saw us lose to them 

Losing to Forest and getting relegated 89/90 season was my first heartache. All that fiasco with them getting the score wrong for the Derby match made it so much worse. I remember Pierce scoring and not celebrating.

Losing to Everton in the 86 semi was bad but i was only 10 and at home listening on the radio.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

Just started following Wednesday would be around 1964. We drew away at Everton in the FA cup in a very hard fought game.  My dad convinced me, thats the hard part done son now we'll take em at Hillsborough. We got absolutely hammered 0-3. 

The start of me knowing what the Wednesday way really meant.

Not as bad as 1988 when we drew 1-1 against them three times and then lost the 4th replay 5-0 at home. In fact, I think we might have been 5-0 down at half-time in that game. 😬

Huddersfield is the only game I’ve cried at.

I know we got closer to the PL against Hull but the following season was our ‘best’ chance at going up, considering how bad the league was and that I’m adamant we’d have beaten Reading in the final.

Penalties really are the worst way to lose a game like that - and the fact that we lead...and conceded such a crap goal.

I was devastated and I had a bad feeling that that was gonna be our last shot at the big time for a while.

4 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

Just started following Wednesday would be around 1964. We drew away at Everton in the FA cup in a very hard fought game.  My dad convinced me, thats the hard part done son now we'll take em at Hillsborough. We got absolutely hammered 0-3. 

The start of me knowing what the Wednesday way really meant.

We should have beat them at goodison ,andy burton on debut scored an own goal and they then equalised un the last minute ... in the replay think I'm right that we were 3 down by half time with a very dodgy  display by roy McClaren  who was deputising  for the injured springett.

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

We should have beat them at goodison ,andy burton on debut scored an own goal and they then equalised un the last minute ... in the replay think I'm right that we were 3 down by half time with a very dodgy  display by roy McClaren  who was deputising  for the injured springett.

Andy Burgin.

yes suffered myself too.

5 hours ago, crookesowl said:

FA Cup final replay 93. 

Nothing else comes close. 

That’s the closest any of us bar those that remember 66 came close to watching us lift the cup. The proper cup. 

Thanks for cheering me up 

lol

Unfortunately this........

• Thanks 1

Arsenal at Wembley (all of them).

Remember my dad taking me about three times in one season.

Never forget the cursing that came out of my dad's mouth when Woods threw that into the net in the last minute. When we got home my mum asked if I enjoyed it and apparently I said, "yes, apart from that sh!t house Woods" - just one of the many descriptions my Dad used to describe Woods' performance that day :biggrin:

• Haha 2

Losing FA cup final in final minute for me, I was distraught for months afterwards.

The 3-0 loss against Forest which sent us down was very painful too, more so because we had a cracking side playing some brilliant football. 

There are a few up there, or down there. The Derby 3-3 because it was a massive disappointment at the time (and still is). Losing to Everton in '86 at Villa Park, because we played well and lost. Losing to Arsenal in '93, of course.

But what still hurts, is still raw and a sore point all these years later (let it go, let it go) is losing to Brighton 2-1 at Highbury in 1983. They were there for the taking, bottom of Division One, they ended up relegated. We didn't play well and seemed overawed. We did the double over them the next season.