Whats your first worst defeat as a Wednesdayite

93 FA Cup Final Replay

The first and last time I've cried watching Wednesday. It wasnt just the result, but more the manner of defeat in those dying seconds, after already losing the other final. I was 18yo at the time, living in the West Midlands, and had invited many college buddies around to watch the game. I felt absolutely humiliated and heart broken in equal measures. I had to leave the room to cry, and stayed alone in the kitchen for about 30 minutes. Nothing will ever ever ever get close to that feeling. Only thing remotely close was seeing England lose the semi in 90. That hurt too, but wasnt the same.

My first and still most embarrassing and disgusted is 2-5 v Derby during the Blondeau experimental farce at S6 one dark winter night mid-90s. My brother and I left early and taxied straight from the Kop to The Roxy (student night) in our stripes, stood at the bar downing £1 Two Dogs as fast as we could, having random Derby fans asking us what the final score was, not realising the final whistle hadn't blown yet. Meh.

Edited by steelerian

On 15/04/2020 at 07:32, Stoop said:

Probably Derby away in 99/2000. 3-1 up going into injury time then completely blew it drawling 3-3

Some of the shambolic capitulations this season rank pretty high though tbh

And were fortunate to get a point in the end IIRC - think they missed a gilt edged chance at the death. Confirmed the relegation that result, albeit not mathematically.

That I can remember, the Everton game at Hillsborough in mid week, Sharpe, Lineker, Steven, Stevens, etc. 5-1.

Then we lost 5-0 to them a couple of years later in 1988, where Sharpe scored a hatrick.  

Not sure which one of these games was the one where we were 5-0 down at half time.

The Everton semi at Villa park was devastating as well and the 93 FA Cup final reply - but not the worse defeats.  

Depends what you class at worse defeats, absolute battering or emotionally devastating. 

Edited by Rogers

On 15/04/2020 at 14:31, Whitecap Owl said:

April 20th 1974

8-0 loss Away at Boro (they were presented with the Division 2 trophy prior to the start of the game)   Probably the best Boro side I have seen..... Big Jack really knew how to manage a football club...

The absolute worst game I have attended - Poor old Peter Springett was helpless - the defense was hapless...   in fact there was a possible penalty towards the end where the fans wanted their goalie to take it (fortunately it was not awarded)...

I actually forgave Big Jack for this game once he became our manager..

still have nightmares about this one....

My first proper away game!

Also the two semi-final defeats in 83 & 86 (especially 86 as we played so well - if we'd had our shooting boots on it would have been over by half time), truth is by 93 I was getting used to it and half expected it!

Aftet promotion to the 2nd division in 1980,i went to Benidorm on holiday Aug/Sept.

My word my friends and i let them all know who we supported,particularly in one bar.

Lads behind bar were Chelsea and West Ham lads and ran a football coupon on matchdays with live Radio 5 broadcast in the bar.

2:30 Saturday afternoon the 5 of us all in Wednesday shirts and a huge flag hung behind settled down for san miguel sangria and winnings from backing Wednesday.

16:55 we are the laughing stock of the pub

Wednesday 0 Bloody Wrexham 3,

We were a bit quieter that evening/night. 

• Haha 1