Whats your first worst defeat as a Wednesdayite

36 minutes ago, Shifty Powers said:

Sheff Untied embarrassing us at Hillsborough under Carlos. I have never been so angry / upset about what I had witnessed. I still get a nervous twitch whenever I see somebody post those “bouncing day massacre” videos on social media.

In hindsight, with them now embarrassing better sides than us in the Premier League, as unpalatable as it was, maybe it was understandable

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

In hindsight, with them now embarrassing better sides than us in the Premier League, as unpalatable as it was, maybe it was understandable

They were without their best 2 strikers at the time. We came back to 2-2 and with a bit of composure would have won.

Van Aken was appalling for their 3rd.

We made Leon Clarke look like Drogba.

Dark, dark times.

3 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

They were without their best 2 strikers at the time. We came back to 2-2 and with a bit of composure would have won.

Van Aken was appalling for their 3rd.

We made Leon Clarke look like Drogba.

Dark, dark times.

Sure, any defeat to them is unpalatable, but we were just starting to see from them, what they have perfected now. I can remember watching that, probably still thinking, on paper at least, we had the better players, but Wilder completely outfoxed us that day. Those tactics have gone on to prove very successful at a higher level

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Sure, any defeat to them is unpalatable, but we were just starting to see from them, what they have perfected now. I can remember watching that, probably still thinking, on paper at least, we had the better players, but Wilder completely outfoxed us that day. Those tactics have gone on to prove very successful at a higher level

Get what you’re saying. Still think that had we defended even adequately we could have won.

What really hurts is that I dismissed it at the time as not being their BDM equivalent as 26/12/79 heralded a prolonged period of Wednesday dominance and united decline. As it happens the reverse does seem to have been symbolised by the 2-4.😢

13 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Get what you’re saying. Still think that had we defended even adequately we could have won.

What really hurts is that I dismissed it at the time as not being their BDM equivalent as 26/12/79 heralded a prolonged period of Wednesday dominance and united decline. As it happens the reverse does seem to have been symbolised by the 2-4.😢

Once I’d gotten over the disappointment of the result, always easier if you live away from Sheffield, the thing that stuck in my mind was, that they were the real deal under Wilder and Knill. Those two were the main reason that they swept us aside that day, and they are still continuing to get, more than should reasonably be expected from a group of quite ordinary players, certainly at Premier League level 

Once I realised that, the result was the lesser of my worries, as I realised they were going to be the dominant ones in Sheffield for the next few years

Edited by gurujuan

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Once I’d gotten over the disappointment of the result, always easier if you live away from Sheffield, the thing that stuck in my mind was, that they were the real deal under Wilder and Knill. Those two were the main reason that they swept us aside that day, and they are still continuing to get, more than should reasonably be expected from a group of quite ordinary players, certainly at Premier League level 

Once I realised that, the result was the lesser of my worries, as I realised they were going to be the dominant ones in Sheffield for the next few years

If that defeat had been against any other side, it wouldn't even get a mention on here. I don't even think it was our worst home defeat that season (I'd say 3-0 against Burton Albion, who got relegated, was far worse.)

I'm struggling for choice, there are so many bad defeats to choose from, there have been performances ranging from bad luck to abysmal and everything in between, I can't think of another club who have had so many bad defeats at home over the years I have watched them, we seem to habitually collapse, the post xmas games this season has been as bad a spell that I have witnessed, and I have seen a lot. If we don't get relegated this season (which is still a possibility if it resumes to a finish) and of course I am praying we don't, there will be sides going down who have not performed as badly at home as this recent spell of ours.

1 hour ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

I saw us lose 1-7 away at Arsenal. It was odd as much as painful though. 1-1 until about 70 minutes I recall and then every shot they had sent in. We still finished third in the league as well.

Yeah same season we lost 6-1 at home to Leeds and lost home and away to that lot down at S2, bizarre when you think about it, our highest finish since 1961 .... what a good year that was lol 

• Haha 1

0-2 at the lane in the early nineties. We were so much better than them at that time. For some reason we just didn’t seem up for it that day and it was a straightforward win for them. We never got going and I walked out at the end the most disappointed I have ever felt coming out of a game.

I have seen us take far bigger defeats over the years. But for some reason that one sticks out.

4 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

I saw us lose 1-7 away at Arsenal. It was odd as much as painful though. 1-1 until about 70 minutes I recall and then every shot they had sent in. We still finished third in the league as well.

I was at that one. My dad's a lifelong Arsenal fan and it was the first time he'd taken me to Highbury. At the end of the game I remember turning round - I was right at the front of the terrace - and seeing all these stunned faces looking back (out of the ones who'd stayed until the end), and then my dad right in the middle trying desperately not to grin at me.

The first defeat I saw was away to Millwall at the Old Den. We were 2-up and cruising at half-time, but lost most of our defence to injury (Nilsson leaving on a stretcher) and they scored four times without reply in the second half against our makeshift back four. Going to that game was my birthday treat that year.

• Haha 1

All of the above particularly the really crucial defeats to Manchester City & Crystal Palace in the League and the F.A. Cup Final & Semi-Final losses. The first major disappointment is the worst though when you realise your heroes fall short and for me it has to be the Blackburn Semi-Final defeat at Maine Road(74,000!) in 1960. Rovers had a shock win at WHL in the 5th Round and then were 3-0 down at half-time at a fog bound Turf Moor before winning the replay but I was confident because Catterick was a maestro and we'd been on a terrific run. Shattered by the result that day but even though I was only 12 I should have known! 

On 15/04/2020 at 07:41, legendaryswan said:

Mine came against Arsenal,first day of march in 1969,we got hammered 0-5 ,John Radford and Bobby Gould did the honours.Radford scored 3,to almost utter silence,it was dead eary,like a practise match,very overcast day,low mist,two arse fans were right behind the goal at the leppings lane and just twirled their scarfes at every goal,We were absolute gash,arse just passed around us,like candy from a baby,50 odd years on and I can recall it like it was last weekend,Sammels was just on fire he must have laid on 4 of the goals with his incisive passes,what an awfull fecking day that was,I just wanted to lob my tea at the wall and scream

That, by coincidence,  was my first ever SWFC game as a 3 year old,  with my dad and brilliant ,  late,  uncle Jem.All I remember about the game was them managing to lose me at half time on the kop and being found at the back of the north stand, apparently  after a public announcement..