Whats your first worst defeat as a Wednesdayite

Guest Jack the Hat
19 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

I saw us lose 1-7 away at Arsenal. It was odd as much as painful though. 1-1 until about 70 minutes I recall and then every shot they had sent in. We still finished third in the league as well.

I was at that game. Thing younger people may not realise is we were better than Arsenal at the time and expected to beat them. Worthington equalised just before half time and we all thought we’d go on and win it. Paul Merson had an awe inspiring 30 minutes at the end.

Guest Jack the Hat
On 16/04/2020 at 08:25, Shifty Powers said:

Sheff Untied embarrassing us at Hillsborough under Carlos. I have never been so angry / upset about what I had witnessed. I still get a nervous twitch whenever I see somebody post those “bouncing day massacre” videos on social media.

Don’t get this. They beat us by just 2 goals. Both sides defended badly in a poor quality game which counted for nothing at the end of the season for each team. And who cares what they say on social media! It means nothing compared to defeats that mattered like 83, 86 semis both 93 finals, being cheated at Kaiserslautern and play off final.

18 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Don’t get this. They beat us by just 2 goals. Both sides defended badly in a poor quality game which counted for nothing at the end of the season for each team. And who cares what they say on social media! It means nothing compared to defeats that mattered like 83, 86 semis both 93 finals, being cheated at Kaiserslautern and play off final.

I wasn’t even born in 1983 or 1986 and I was 6 in 1993. 

So yeah, it did hurt seeing United spank us in our own back yard.

Edited by Shifty Powers

On 15/04/2020 at 09:07, sheffieldblue said:

Home to Manchester city 1970.

They did their best to let us win and we still lost 2-1 and were relegated 

I was 7. It rained all day. Got soaked on the kop. First time I saw my dad cry. First time I cried at Football.

Not the last.

First time I remember crying over Wednesday as a kid was being humiliated against Wigan away in the fa cup when Wigan were a non league side , think it was the 77/78 season under Big Jack , we were desperate at the time , bottom of the 3rd division or close to but happily over the next few seasons Jack sorted us out to get promotion a few years later.

First big disappointment for me was losing to Chesterfield 1-3 at Hillsborough in 1975 , very dark days indeed , my cousin's were both spireites and that particularly hurt.

The more i think about it I have to plump for Hull City at Wembley..............what a chance missed , could have handled it if we had given it a right good go and got beat by a better team, but to turn up after the season we had had and deliver such a wet f*rt of a performance was crushing.

wembley 66 to be sure. an everton fan was sitting in front of me, and stormed out when david ford scored our second. soon after, I started having a churny stomach, then we let in 3 goals. have had many churny stomachs since, and they all have meant the same......heartbreak

One of the first lives games I saw and remember being really gutted about was losing 1-2 at home to Blackburn in 94 when Newell scored late on.

Then possibly losing 7-2 to Blackburn is the worst in 97. Carbone with that great goal and fans doing the conga behind the net despite being pasted.

You can distinguish between bad experiences eg 7-1 at Arsenal, 1-7 v Forest; and the really significant defeats. 

The latter are the ones that hurt. 

Coventry at home in the 87 Cup quarter was one that really hit me. The days when the cup still really mattered, and we played really badly against a side who at our best we should have beaten. 

The 1990 Forest defeat seemed almost inevitable but it was still distressing. There wasnt the gap between the divisions then but I thought a really promising side would break up. Happily it didn't 

3-0 defeat to Forest at home, the last game of the 1989-1990 season resulting in our relegation and events elsewhere making it even worse. The worst bit about it was we had the nucleus of a good team that was "too good to go down" but the table doesn't lie. The pain was eased with the medication of a swift promotion and league cup win at Wembley.

2 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

The more i think about it I have to plump for Hull City at Wembley..............what a chance missed , could have handled it if we had given it a right good go and got beat by a better team, but to turn up after the season we had had and deliver such a wet f*rt of a performance was crushing.

It didn't hurt as much as some of the other defeats mentioned because I genuinely felt we were 'on our way back' with a good team, manager and chairman but we then cocked it up massively. Not winning that game will prove to be the most harmful defeat we have ever suffered. Instead of buying top level players to compete in the premier after Wembley, we spunked money we shouldn't have spent on players we didn't need or weren't good enough. Even if we'd got promoted the following season we would have needed a new team in the prem. There's no guarantee we would have thrived in the premier league but we wouldn't have been in the mess we are now if we'd won at Wembley. Losing that game was a disaster and we could end up paying the price for years and years. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

I was at that game. Thing younger people may not realise is we were better than Arsenal at the time and expected to beat them. Worthington equalised just before half time and we all thought we’d go on and win it. Paul Merson had an awe inspiring 30 minutes at the end.

I have never expected Wednesday to win at Arsenal. I would say the teams were evenly matched. That season, we finished 3rd and they finished 4th.

It was a pretty even game, then they had a wonder spell of 70 minutes. It wasn’t like Wednesday played terrible. My memory suggests it was Limpar who was outstanding for Arsenal in those 20 minutes.

That game I had a ticket with the Wednesday fans in the stand on the side. I had a good friend at the time ( Arsenal fan)who used to sit with her family in the same Stand which was on the opposite side. I planned to sit with them second half as I knew there was a spare seat. Just before half time I got up to go over to her and Worthington scored as I was going into the concourse. One Arsenal fan didn’t take too kindly to my celebrations. 🙂
Second half I’m sat amongst the Arsenal fans ( they knew I was Wednesday) and as the goals flew in it was horrendous. At the end many actually felt sorry for me and like me couldn’t believe what they had witnessed.

1 hour ago, TommyCraig6 said:

1966 Cup Final.  I was inconsolable wandering about London after the game.

Yeah, still have nightmares about that huge manual scoreboard on the balcony changing so quickly from 2-0.

14th May, bloody hate it, can't we call it 13B May every year?

It was the FIRST worst for me, but plenty since - most mentioned already.

1 hour ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

Yeah, still have nightmares about that huge manual scoreboard on the balcony changing so quickly from 2-0.

14th May, bloody hate it, can't we call it 13B May every year?

It was the FIRST worst for me, but plenty since - most mentioned already.

To be fair how can it get worse than being 2-0 up in the fa cup final? I suppose that result set us up for many many more disappointments but none surely as bad as that one.

My dad and grandad were there and I know a few tears were shed that day !

Still got to be losing to Everton 3-2 in the Cup Final in '66 after being 2-0 up I'm sure  I've still not fully recovered ! Plenty others up there as well play off final v Hull, Man City at home in 1970 both finals against Arsenal in '93, semi v Everton at Villa Park, 0-3 to Everton at H'boro in 3rd round replay in '65 ? Fed Pickering ! Brentford away a few weeks ago is also getting close.  

Edited by Tarringtonowl
spelling

Christ on a bike...where do I begin! 1966 cup final (what was Gerry Young doing?), losing at home in the FA Cup to Scunthorpe, many home matches 1969-70 where cushions were lobbed onto the pitch (too many to remember who opposition were but one was deffo v Wolves), losing to Man City 1970 (thank you Ian Bowyer...you tw@), losing to Stevenage, losing to Burton flippin Albion, any defeat to Dem Pigs and most of 2020 results! There are, I’m afraid, many many more. It really does make you weep😂

Coventry in 87 CUP QF, truly expected us to win that one. 

Asked my kids the same question my son  says Hull playoff. 

My daughters response was hilarious, she's never seen us beaten, I've managed to only take her to games where we have either won or drawn. 

She's now 20 so she's been bloody lucky 🍀 

The first one that made an impact on me was the derby match at Hillsborough in 63'  against the blades...we weredo ig better in the league and were playing against the likes of Barca in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup and United turner up with a young team and gave a debut to Alan Birchinall who scored two t beat us...

On 15/04/2020 at 17:12, parkfieldowl14 said:

6-1 at home to Weeds in the 1991/92 Season.Absolute credit to the lads for showing fortitude and character to come back from a crushing home defeat and the 7-1 Hammering at Arsenal to come within a few points of winning the league title.:tango:

This is mine. It was on, or very close to my birthday. Not the first defeat I'd seen, but the worst I can remember - maybe due to the birthday part.