Whats your first worst defeat as a Wednesdayite

Guest Willow Owl

Got to the Brighton semi for me. To make it worse our coach broke down after the match. Was 16 at the time and remember some random bloke buying us some beer from the off-licence because he felt sorry for us.

Honourable mentions for Forest 3-0 to relegate us and the 6-1 home to Leeds scum.

14 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Saw us lose loads of games.

But the first one that really mattered was the Brighton semi.

This was the first match where I was visibly upset and it still one of the worst defeats for me. I don’t think anything will top the 93 cup replay for me.

2 hours ago, Bassett's Allsorts said:

Arsenal at Wembley (all of them).

Remember my dad taking me about three times in one season.

Never forget the cursing that came out of my dad's mouth when Woods threw that into the net in the last minute. When we got home my mum asked if I enjoyed it and apparently I said, "yes, apart from that sh!t house Woods" - just one of the many descriptions my Dad used to describe Woods' performance that day :biggrin:

As well as his monumental blunder, he almost spilled one over the line after a shot from Merson. I’m not sure if it was near the end of 90 mins or in extra time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Mine came against Arsenal,first day of march in 1969,we got hammered 0-5 ,John Radford and Bobby Gould did the honours.Radford scored 3,to almost utter silence,it was dead eary,like a practise match,very overcast day,low mist,two arse fans were right behind the goal at the leppings lane and just twirled their scarfes at every goal,We were absolute gash,arse just passed around us,like candy from a baby,50 odd years on and I can recall it like it was last weekend,Sammels was just on fire he must have laid on 4 of the goals with his incisive passes,what an awfull fecking day that was,I just wanted to lob my tea at the wall and scream

John Radford was a very under rated forward.  Me and my mate Spanner were the last fans in the ground that day.  Shellshocked. 

17 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Saw us lose loads of games.

But the first one that really mattered was the Brighton semi.

Same

1993 F.A.Cup Final replay for me. This was my and my sons 4th visit to wembley that year. I told him we had to go because it could be a lifetime before Wednesday played at wembley again. Can,t remember the exact times, but the midweek replay kick off was delayed because there were thousands of Wednesdayites stuck on the M1 behind an accident. When they finally kicked off, our end was still half empty, many fans not arriving till half time, but the atmosphere was electric. We completely out sung the gooners, which was like am home game for them.I do remember us being the better side, but still managed to go one behind.( typical Wed. ) We battled and deservedly equalized, then went for the kill ! We missed chances, but it went to extra time. This started  really late because of the delayed KO. Extra time was quite cagey, with Wednesday missing the better chances, but with time running out ,penalties were looming, then we all know what happened next !!! Woods dropped a right goolie and that was it !! We had lost !! We trudged back to the coach to travel back to Sheffield. We arrived home about 4.30am ish and i had to get up for work at 6.45am.

9 hours ago, goodytheowl said:

Losing to Forest and getting relegated 89/90 season was my first heartache. All that fiasco with them getting the score wrong for the Derby match made it so much worse. 

This. I've hated Luton ever since.

21 minutes ago, Billque said:

1993 F.A.Cup Final replay for me. This was my and my sons 4th visit to wembley that year. I told him we had to go because it could be a lifetime before Wednesday played at wembley again. Can,t remember the exact times, but the midweek replay kick off was delayed because there were thousands of Wednesdayites stuck on the M1 behind an accident. When they finally kicked off, our end was still half empty, many fans not arriving till half time, but the atmosphere was electric. We completely out sung the gooners, which was like am home game for them.I do remember us being the better side, but still managed to go one behind.( typical Wed. ) We battled and deservedly equalized, then went for the kill ! We missed chances, but it went to extra time. This started  really late because of the delayed KO. Extra time was quite cagey, with Wednesday missing the better chances, but with time running out ,penalties were looming, then we all know what happened next !!! Woods dropped a right goolie and that was it !! We had lost !! We trudged back to the coach to travel back to Sheffield. We arrived home about 4.30am ish and i had to get up for work at 6.45am.

My recollection of the 93 replay. First half, Wednesday were not that great and Arsenal deservedly went in 1-0 up at half time. Second half Wednesday were the better team easily and whilst our goal had an element of fortune, it was much deserved. We then missed an absolute sitter through Bright. Extra time was pretty even. Over 120 mins we were the better team but it counted for nothing.

April 20th 1974

8-0 loss Away at Boro (they were presented with the Division 2 trophy prior to the start of the game)   Probably the best Boro side I have seen..... Big Jack really knew how to manage a football club...

The absolute worst game I have attended - Poor old Peter Springett was helpless - the defense was hapless...   in fact there was a possible penalty towards the end where the fans wanted their goalie to take it (fortunately it was not awarded)...

I actually forgave Big Jack for this game once he became our manager..

still have nightmares about this one....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

6-1 at home to Weeds in the 1991/92 Season.Absolute credit to the lads for showing fortitude and character to come back from a crushing home defeat and the 7-1 Hammering at Arsenal to come within a few points of winning the league title.:tango:

Everything them b@stards kicked that day hit out net....we needed two goes to score a pen.....most obvious penalty ever seen may I add.

• Haha 1

3-0 defeat at Field Mill Easter '76 when it looked like we'd go down to div 4. Queued forever and got in ten minutes after the start.

Scoreboard said 2-0 and at first I thought it was just not working as I hadn't heard any goal roars. But that was 'cos the ground

was 3/4 Wednesday, and yeah, we were 2-0 down already.

• Like 1

Forest 3-0 defeat 1990 and Relegation

We only needed to draw to stay up and even if we lost then Luton had to win at Derby.

I was listening on a portable radio when the rumour went round the ground ( the groundsman even changed the old scorecards ) that Derby had equalised  , I remember Bob Jackson saying that there was no confirmation of the equaliser from the baseball ground.  The confirmation  never came and we were relegated. Now with the internet that drama would not have happened.

On the same day the Blades replaced us by getting promoted with a victory at Leicester.

That evening in my local it was horrendous.

Honourable mentions 

The Wembley defeats

5-1 Bristol City

6-1 v Leeds

7-1 v Arsenal 

5-1 Stevenage

4-0 Orient ( Harry Kanes first professional goal )

14-0 Alfreton

Edited by Geedee

So many to choose from over the years.  For me the worst has to be the '93 FA Cup final, the start of the end of that great team.

In terms of performance and embarrassment, the 0-5 defeat to Everton on a midweek evening in the 80s.  That Everton team was pretty good though.

19 hours ago, goodytheowl said:

Losing to Forest and getting relegated 89/90 season was my first heartache. All that fiasco with them getting the score wrong for the Derby match made it so much worse. I remember Pierce scoring and not celebrating.

Losing to Everton in the 86 semi was bad but i was only 10 and at home listening on the radio.

Exactly the same for me. Right down to being 10 and listening to it on the radio. That was my first year  as a season ticket holder and my dad wouldn't let me go to Villa park but had said  I could go to Wembley. First and only time wednesday made me cry, I've become hardened to disappointment since. 

Sheff Untied embarrassing us at Hillsborough under Carlos. I have never been so angry / upset about what I had witnessed. I still get a nervous twitch whenever I see somebody post those “bouncing day massacre” videos on social media.

Edited by Shifty Powers