SWFC Club Statement

32 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The Government have offered this scheme to all businesses at this difficult time and you choose to take this approach. As a business we are losing significant amounts of money year on year and he can't just throw money at things like this in accounting terms. I am sure there are businesses with better balance sheets than our football club who have taken up this offer and decided not to make up the 20% difference. 

Excellent point... and there will be plenty getting staff to work from home and claiming as well. 

Until this country gets itself in order we will be relentlessly in this position. There are lots of businesses who do the right thing and pay what is due to support schools, NHS and social benefits. But there is also those who avoid tax, engage in the black economy and do everything for personal gain. It’s not just self employed one man bands...hedge funds the lot. underfunding has come home to roost.... 

Those who pay - great. Those who avoid....  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Is that really how you see this? SWFC are a British company with British staff and are well within their rights to claim what is on offer. Furthermore the owner has agreed to cover the wage difference to ensure that the staff will receive their full pay during this difficult period which I can imagine has come as a relief to many of them.

You don't have to agree with his general running of the club to be able to acknowledge that he has made a good move in this instance. 

Unfortunately for some fans all they can see is negativity.  There is no doubt other owners will also be millionaires or better and not support their employees in the same way.  My guess is if these employees were asked they would be relieved and appreciate the gesture and that surely is the measure

35 minutes ago, owlsup said:

At present the rules about furloughed staff mean those who who are engaging in, or potentially engaging, generating revenues cannot be put in that position. Non playing staff are not doing this. The EFL have not called the season off so playing staff are still training...so they are not in a position to be furloughed.... 

Thanks for that, didn't think of it, 

so if the EFL call off the Season then I suppose 80% up to £2,500 might be worth looking at.

4 hours ago, SiJ said:

Fair play to the club. At least we are going to make up the difference.

I'm I right to say that Spurs and Newcastle have done similar, but will not be making up the difference? 

Unbelievable it they  they have not topped up the wages.   Levy and Ashley in charge...they are worth millions guess we know how they keep wealthy....

1 hour ago, scram said:

No club should be allowed to furlough low paid employees whilst continuing to pay many tens of thousands per week to player

Any club that tries that then i hope the govt tell them to f*ck off

Don't worry - the players are working from home:

Prem stars treated for 'addiction to Fortnite as gaming affects ...

30 minutes ago, daleblue said:

Thanks for that, didn't think of it, 

so if the EFL call off the Season then I suppose 80% up to £2,500 might be worth looking at.

Probably yes - it will of course go no way into those on huge salaries.... we then get into the debate about voluntary reductions in pay which is another story altogether.....

1 hour ago, scram said:

No club should be allowed to furlough low paid employees whilst continuing to pay many tens of thousands per week to player

Any club that tries that then i hope the govt tell them to f*ck off

No club should be so immoral to take a taxpayer subsidy to fund the wages of low paid staff and at the same time continue to pay (crap) players tens of thousands of pounds without at least asking them to take a voluntary pay cut to fund this instead.

So for those of you earlier in this thread who said well done DC that's why I've negged you.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Highbury Owl said:

No club should be so immoral to take a taxpayer subsidy to fund the wages of low paid staff and at the same time continue to pay (crap) players tens of thousands of pounds without at least asking them to take a voluntary pay cut to fund this instead.

So for those of you earlier in this thread who said well done DC that's why I've negged you.

Well said, I hadn’t thought if it that way.

if i  was a player who's contract was ending this june and i'd been stalling my  club hoping for a better deal i'd be very very worried …... theres going to be a lot of players at our level and below  who are going to find there earning potential is going to come tumbling down so its understandable if they are loathe to accept or volunteer a pay cut …….

12 minutes ago, Highbury Owl said:

What choice does he have sack them?

11 minutes ago, Highbury Owl said:

The players cannot be furloughed as they have been given fitness instructions by the club to keep fit - technically keeping them employed as work from home employees and the players relay it back to the club, it's wrong yes but that's how it works unfortunately 

The club are currently talking to the players about wage deferral etc.. As per reports. 

Alot of companies are just paying the 80% and that's it or laying workers off. At least the chairman is paying the other 20% so they don't lose out or lose their jobs. 

I'm sure the chairman would love to furlough the players too. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Highbury Owl said:

Theres a PFA conversation going on about the players and a government programme to protect workers from just getting laid off...plus the full pay on top.

Dont see what’s immoral. You can’t equate the football player to the average person on the street...in the same way you can’t compare a football business to a ‘normal’ business - it’s just an anomaly 

2 hours ago, owlsup said:

Excellent point... and there will be plenty getting staff to work from home and claiming as well. 

Until this country gets itself in order we will be relentlessly in this position. There are lots of businesses who do the right thing and pay what is due to support schools, NHS and social benefits. But there is also those who avoid tax, engage in the black economy and do everything for personal gain. It’s not just self employed one man bands...hedge funds the lot. underfunding has come home to roost.... 

Those who pay - great. Those who avoid....  

I need to be convinced systems are efficient before crying about underfunding.

People often get those two the wrong way round it seems to me.

Get the system and funding both right and its golden.

3 hours ago, Highbury Owl said:

What a load if gonads he could have just laid the staff off but instead he's keeping them on and stopping there wages back up to 100% the staff will be extremely happy still getting all there wages.

I'm sure players will have been asked to take a deferral but why shouldn't they get paid 100% when every bugger else is???

Some people just love to try and stick the boot in.

5 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Unbelievable it they  they have not topped up the wages.   Levy and Ashley in charge...they are worth millions guess we know how they keep wealthy....

The main owner at Spurs,Joe Lewis, is meant to be worth £4.3 billion.

Loves the country so much is a tax exile..

They also were less than generous in the public works involved in the rebuilding of the stadium

Edited by mildatheart67