SWFC Club Statement

Just now, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Perhaps the families of those born with a silver spoon in their mouth worked hard enough to ensure their future generations had the best of things.

There is a balance to be found, especially with players reportedly earning more in a month than some do in a lifetime. 

I agree but anger shouldn't be aimed in their direction. 

48 minutes ago, trumbullowl said:

Who's going to mow the grass?

DC was doing it wasn’t he? As well as CEO, catering manger, commercial manager, kit designer, coach, transfer committee chairman, Social media Content manager, the list goes on. 

His missus (The chairman) has got a list of jobs for him to do around the place.  

But at least she’s keeping him on full pay. 

(joke)

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

Or alternatively - Thai billionaire exploits system intended for hard pressed British businesses to get UK tax payer to subsidise his company's wage bill.

Is that really how you see this? SWFC are a British company with British staff and are well within their rights to claim what is on offer. Furthermore the owner has agreed to cover the wage difference to ensure that the staff will receive their full pay during this difficult period which I can imagine has come as a relief to many of them.

You don't have to agree with his general running of the club to be able to acknowledge that he has made a good move in this instance. 

11 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I agree but anger shouldn't be aimed in their direction. 

Having seen the news about Grealish, sympathy towards footballers is not high on the list today. 
I accept he may be an easy target, but I genuinely haven’t heard any heart warming stories that involve the well paid sports stars of this world.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Having seen the news about Grealish, sympathy towards footballers is not high on the list today. 
I accept he may be an easy target, but I genuinely haven’t heard any heart warming stories that involve the well paid sports stars of this world.

Not seen any asking for sympathy but I know where you are coming from, and I'm probably making a ham fisted attempt at my own argument but you know what I mean.

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Is that really how you see this? SWFC are a British company with British staff and are well within their rights to claim what is on offer. Furthermore the owner has agreed to cover the wage difference to ensure that the staff will receive their full pay during this difficult period which I can imagine has come as a relief to many of them.

You don't have to agree with his general running of the club to be able to acknowledge that he has made a good move in this instance. 

I was being deliberately contrary but the fact remains that a man that has frequently complained that he is not permitted to spend his own money, so presumably he can readily afford to pay his staff wages, has taken the opportunity to push a significant % of it onto the UK taxpayer. Not sure why this earns plaudits.

• Haha 1

Anyone using this situation to take a pop at the club (yes we all know that many things , with the benefit of hindsight

could have been do done better/different)

wants to take a long hard look at themselves 

the time you have taken to post your s**t could have been used to fill out the online form to help the NHS 

It only takes about 4 mins 

grow up and grow a pair ffs

WAWAW

5 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

I was being deliberately contrary but the fact remains that a man that has frequently complained that he is not permitted to spend his own money, so presumably he can readily afford to pay his staff wages, has taken the opportunity to push a significant % of it onto the UK taxpayer. Not sure why this earns plaudits.

The Government have offered this scheme to all businesses at this difficult time and you choose to take this approach. As a business we are losing significant amounts of money year on year and he can't just throw money at things like this in accounting terms. I am sure there are businesses with better balance sheets than our football club who have taken up this offer and decided not to make up the 20% difference. 

someone stated earlier that it is all well and saving your business 

but if you lose the people that make that business 

what’s the point 

( I’m fully aware that the vast majority of people recover from this but what happens if you decide to ignore the government’s advice and god forbid you lose some key members of your staff

what have you gained 

get real 

do the right thing IF you arnt essential stay at bloody 🏡  

12 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The Government have offered this scheme to all businesses at this difficult time and you choose to take this approach. As a business we are losing significant amounts of money year on year and he can't just throw money at things like this in accounting terms. I am sure there are businesses with better balance sheets than our football club who have taken up this offer and decided not to make up the 20% difference. 

Depending on the terms of contract businesses don't have an automatic right to not pay the 20% and employees have to accept to be furloughed. He had done this primarily to save himself money not as some act of charity.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kobayashi said:

Depending on the terms of contract businesses don't have an automatic right to not pay the 20% and employees have to accept to be furloughed. He had done this primarily to save himself money not as some act of charity.

OK mate, you see it like that. I thought I was cynical! 

I guess the £20,000 donation to the appeal the club set up was a charity stunt as well!

At present the rules about furloughed staff mean those who who are engaging in, or potentially engaging, generating revenues cannot be put in that position. Non playing staff are not doing this. The EFL have not called the season off so playing staff are still training...so they are not in a position to be furloughed.... 

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Only for 1 month employers are furloughing  most of their staff for up to 3 months.

No, it says it will be reviewed at the end of April.  Presumably as they will be looking to see if they can come back to work as normal!  Why jump straight in on bashing them with absolutely no reason what so ever for it.

1 hour ago, sw1867 said:

The company I work for have all agreed to take a 20% pay cut, furloughed or otherwise to help get through this.

That is 90 people in my section and could rise to 900 of us if other departments follow suit.

Players on £40k A WEEK must surely be in a position to do the same?

If you earn £40k a week I'm pretty sure you won't be living in a mid-terrace paying £500 a month rent and driving a VW polo.

People always just look at the top line, forgetting they will be paying masses of tax on that money, along with significantly higher outgoings than the average Joe when they have a mortgage on a £1m house.  I'm not saying we should feel sorry for them, just that it's too simple to say "oh they should all just stop getting paid greedy barstewards".

Just not bothered...

11 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

OK mate, you see it like that. I thought I was cynical! 

I guess the £20,000 donation to the appeal the club set up was a charity stunt as well!

I didn't say it was a stunt but neither is it a selfless act of compassion. This is an owner who has dismissed POTG fans as barely covering non player wages but now he is taking the tax payer bailout to cover the very same expense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kobayashi said:

I didn't say it was a stunt but neither is it a selfless act of compassion. This is an owner who has dismissed POTG fans as barely covering non player wages but now he is taking the tax payer bailout to cover the very same expense. 

It is not just POTG source of income that will have been affected by this. Read the accounts, the business is losing money. Many other more profitable businesses will have taken the offer.