Reality needed

8 minutes ago, The Hoppy Hopper said:

I'm just enjoying winning a game. No more, no less. Up the Owls.

Me too and the fact it was last minute agaist a shitthouse team after the run we've been on made it one of the best moments of the season for me. But now i really want to know what xG is, hope it doesn't spoil it for me. 

I thought we looked a lot better balanced as a team last night.

Worried by our start but from 15 mins on we played some decent stuff.

The thing lacking was of course goals and this is the perennial problem for managers.
I thought FF played well, helped our midfield from getting outnumbered by dropping back and always involved but this left us short in the box when crosses were going in.

How do we get that balance between midfield and attack.

Wickham was poor and that didn’t help. Can’t remember one run behind from him. He never threatened or looked like scoring.

Fletcher showed how the game changes when somebody runs behind the defence.

Guest LittleG
28 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Thought he had found his best position last night.

He looked comfortable on the ball during half time.

Look what happens when you score a late winner,the piccies show what it means to players,who many have slagged off ,and the fans in the back ground,they don't give a damn,a wins a win and most of them probably don't know OT excists.

Bottom of the league or top,it don't really matter,WAWAW.But we can always spot the ones that arent on here.

• Like 1

On display yesterday were two things that we haven't done for a while now.

Passing and then moving forwards for a return pass and also, closing them down pretty quickly when we lost the ball.

Forestieri was a massive positive in both these cases.

Still feel we need to react quicker to the second ball but it was a positive 95mins from my perspective.

Yes, it wasn't perfect, but it's something to build on.

‘Only just managed to beat charlton’.: We had over 20 shots and think they had about 5. I think we can safely say the last 2 performances have been a turn around compared to January and most of this month. 

As monk said, when you’re in the form we have been in, you take a win by any means and frankly we more than deserved it. Should have been the same last Saturday if it wasn’t for Murphy bottling it.

16 minutes ago, Finney on the Wing said:

On display yesterday were two things that we haven't done for a while now.

Passing and then moving forwards for a return pass and also, closing them down pretty quickly when we lost the ball.

Forestieri was a massive positive in both these cases.

Still feel we need to react quicker to the second ball but it was a positive 95mins from my perspective.

Yes, it wasn't perfect, but it's something to build on.

Precisely this.

Before kick off there was loads of negativity on team selection.

A team only plays as well as you allow them to.

Nice to see on the floor football instead of hoof ball and it worked.

Did Monk out smart Bowyer, I don't know but could have been 3 or 4 last night but sadly we lack a quality finisher.

xG stands for xamine Google.

When you do you find this.

1. What does xG mean.

The term xG in football is an abbreviation which stands for 'expected goals'. It is a statistical measurement of the quality of goalscoring chances and the likelihood of them being scored. An xG measurement can be generated for both teams as a whole and individual players, giving an indication as to how well they should be performing in front of goal.

2. How is xG calculated.

A number of factors are taken into account when calculating xG. They include: type of assist, whether it was a shot taken with the head or foot, the angle and distance of the shot, and whether it was a big chance. The context of a scoring opportunity is precisely what informs its xG rating. A rebound falling to a player in front of an open goal six yards out will have a high xG score, but a shot taken from 35 yards at a narrow angle will have a low xG score.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Yea I said that last night...worst team i've seen this season. Both home and away.

But three points is always nice the day after.  Instead of doing your best to forget what happened.

The extra is the last minute relief and how desperate we were for a goal.

Nobody is getting carried away unless theyre an idiot.

Worst team Ive seen this season was us, v Reading and Blackburn.

Last night was a HUGE improvement. Apart from the first 15 minutes we dominated a side unbeaten in five. We’ve lost and drawn abjectly against poorer sides this season.

For me we turned a corner last night. 

13 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

Can’t believe the amount of positivity being posted about last night.

1. Any performance by your own team should always be tempered by the level of opposition performance. Blackburn and Reading playing as they did would have still beaten us last night.

2. We only looked really threatening after Fletcher came on. Why does that change other players performance levels?

3. Fully hope we kick on from the win, but by and large it was turgid.

I must be in the minority I just love it when Wednesday win, i don't dissect it, I don't look for negatives i just enjoy it.

If we batter a team then Brilliant 

If we play crap and win, then so what we've won 

if we get a scabby 95th minute winner against a team time wasting for 50 mins, then even better that's housery at its finest

By all means if we lose we all want to know why and how and what we could have done differently

but when we win I walk out of the ground with a smile on my face and it lifts the mood until the next game 

And for my 2 pennies worth I thought the first half wasn't brilliant and very stop start but 2nd half i thought we attacked them for the majority of the half and but for 2 tremendous saves and 3 poor headers we could have won it comfortably, but like i said we won so who cares  

17 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

I’m sure the MOTM Performance scores would have been lower had we drawn that game.  Delighted with 3 points and one or two positives to take (mainly return of Fletcher) but we only just managed to beat a very poor side, who had chances of their own in the second half.

But the very poor side has had some very good results recently haven't they

17 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

I’m sure the MOTM Performance scores would have been lower had we drawn that game.  Delighted with 3 points and one or two positives to take (mainly return of Fletcher) but we only just managed to beat a very poor side, who had chances of their own in the second half.

One chance, lets be honest.