Reality needed

17 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

Can’t believe the amount of positivity being posted about last night.

1. Any performance by your own team should always be tempered by the level of opposition performance. Blackburn and Reading playing as they did would have still beaten us last night.

2. We only looked really threatening after Fletcher came on. Why does that change other players performance levels?

3. Fully hope we kick on from the win, but by and large it was turgid.

the first half was terrible.

the second half was much better but not great.

neither half showed me anything other than the players were able to show a bit of bottle that was encouraging.

the performance was of a team capable of stopping the descent through the table but not improving on it.

Edited by ka58

5 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

He was an inch away from scoring twice in front of the kop.  Once after holding off two defenders,

He needs somebody to tell him you are allowed to run. Getting mixed up with this walking football stuff that’s all the rage at the moment.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, pioowl said:

But the very poor side has had some very good results recently haven't they

They have but that shows how poor and unpredictable the league is. We have blown a fantastic opportunity to go up this season. 

After the crap we’ve had to endure since Christmas I’m still feeling really happy with the 3 points we got against Charlton. Really missed that winning feeling. We can’t excuse the shocking performances from the players this year though (I still hope Monk lets most of the out of contract ones leave) but Wednesday night was more like it. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

46 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

If that was us being very good then I genuinely despair.  It was an improvement for sure, but still way below standard required to challenge for top 6.

Think you are being a little harsh.
Think most people would agree that 1 good performance against an average side at best doesn't make us a play off side.
But most were just glad to see us deservedly win the game and put in a shift which is far better than the other home performances recently.

17 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

Against poo

Most of the division is poo....We know that...

Blackburn Reading etc who beat us are poo...We played poo against them...

The difference between then and the other night was attacking intent...You can't compare the games.

We had one up front in those games we lost...Sheer timidity, no game plan, no structure and got what you will get if you make yourselves slightly more poo than the other poo team.

Charlton the other night however, we attacked, we had 2 up front, and then brought on one player who knows what to do when up front...that = less poo...and we beat the more poo team quite easily...

So...We played better the other night then we had in the previous home games...although we can still show signs of poo

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think you are being a little harsh.
Think most people would agree that 1 good performance against an average side at best doesn't make us a play off side.
But most were just glad to see us deservedly win the game and put in a shift which is far better than the other home performances recently.

You are probably right - I was delighted to see the improvement and resulting 3 points.  Where I think we get too easily carried away is describing that performance as very good.  Maybe it’s me who is being too ‘Victor Meldrew’ 😀

16 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Worst team Ive seen this season was us, v Reading and Blackburn.

Last night was a HUGE improvement. Apart from the first 15 minutes we dominated a side unbeaten in five. We’ve lost and drawn abjectly against poorer sides this season.

For me we turned a corner last night

I said on the way home after the game, it felt as though when the goal went in something changed. Everyone crowd, players, management were all as one celebrating. We haven't had that for a while. I think (hope) that winning as we did in the last minute has changed the whole mind set off the club and galvanised everyone. Hopefully a watershed moment.

Cue a horrible defeat tomorrow.

1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

The difference between then and the other night was attacking intent...You can't compare the games.

We had one up front in those games we lost...Sheer timidity, no game plan, no structure and got what you will get if you make yourselves slightly more poo than the other poo team.

Charlton the other night however, we attacked, we had 2 up front, and then brought on one player who knows what to do when up front...that = less poo...and we beat the more poo team quite easily...

So...We played better the other night then we had in the previous home games...although we can still show signs of poo

Remember how everyone said how dire Forest were when we thumped them at their place?

18 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

I think most of the division is pretty good with most teams like Barnsley capable of being very good from time to time but not consistently good.I hate to say it but Leeds are really good but even they go through patches where they are poo (you've got me at it now.

19 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

Depends if you count Taylor’s shot hitting the crossbar as a chance - 4 inches lower and we are 1-0 down.  Block from Lees (also Taylor I think) certainly saved us, but then again I suppose that’s his job.

4 inches higher and you wouldn't have remembered it.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ka58 said:

the first half was terrible.

the second half was much better but not great.

neither half showed me anything other than the players were able to show a bit of bottle that was encouraging.

the performance was of a team capable of stopping the descent through the table but not improving on it.

No it wasn't,the first 10 mins were not very good but after that we played some good attacking football,iook at the attempts on goal,but the finishing was awful.Now isn't that a more balanced view?

On 28 February 2020 at 16:11, Beany71 said:

I said on the way home after the game, it felt as though when the goal went in something changed. Everyone crowd, players, management were all as one celebrating. We haven't had that for a while. I think (hope) that winning as we did in the last minute has changed the whole mind set off the club and galvanised everyone. Hopefully a watershed moment.

Cue a horrible defeat tomorrow.

How silly do I feel. Useless tvvats!