Reality needed

1 minute ago, Pale Rider said:

Against poo

Yea I said that last night...worst team i've seen this season. Both home and away.

But three points is always nice the day after.  Instead of doing your best to forget what happened.

The extra is the last minute relief and how desperate we were for a goal.

Nobody is getting carried away unless theyre an idiot.

14 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

We created our 2nd highest xG of the season last night. It was our most convincing performance of the season, in terms of xG difference. 

Our attacking play was as varied, and as effective as it has been all season.

Now I'm fully aware, of late, we've been starved of much attacking threat, but to totally discount the performance because it was Charlton, is ridiculous.

Of course, there should always be some rationality with any performance (but on here, rationale doesn't seem to come into it for most posters), and getting carried away after last nights performance is just as ridiculous as writing it off because of opposition weren't great.

This very same Charlton side have beaten Nottm Forest, one of the form teams in the division, away from home just a fortnight ago. They've also beaten Luton and Barnsley, two sides we couldn't, as well as gaining more than credible draws against WBA and Fulham all within this calendar year. They are no mugs.

Maybe, just maybe, we contributed to them been particularly poor last night? 

Regardless of opposition, last night's performance was good. In every sense of the word. 24 shots on goal, 18 of those within the 18 yard box, four clear cut chances. In comparison, Charlton had ONE effort taken inside our own 18 yard box. 

In terms of xG last night, we created 2.61 compared to Charlton's 0.83. You can only play the opponents in front of you...and last night, we battered them. 

please explain your 'G ratings' for those of us who have only been watching the game for 63 years ?

• Haha 9

Unfortunately that's the way it works. 

A player could play terrible all match then score a last minute goal and then he has played brilliant.

Also a player could have been brilliant all game but makes a last minute mistake and then he has played terrible.

If the player in scenario one is a fans favourite then times amount of praise by about three.

And if the player in scenario two is not a fans favourite then times criticism by about three.

It was only one game, yes, but a vast improvement on practically all our other home games this season; hardly surprising then that it would generate at least some positivity.

You've got to laugh at the notion of there being a 'need' for reality though. Need?! What's the danger here?

• Haha 1

Just now, cowl said:

It was only one game, yes, but a vast improvement on practically all our other home games this season; hardly surprising then that it would generate at least some positivity.

You've got to laugh at the notion of there being a 'need' for reality though. Need?! What's the danger here?

Didnt you know.... Its the hope that kills you!!!!

30 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Lots of those on kop around me, so much so i've shifted seats for me an my lad next season.

Done same ,  it’s absolutely horrendous on there innit lately , can’t deal with the level of stupid 

8 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Done same ,  it’s absolutely horrendous on there innit lately , can’t deal with the level of stupid 

Yea we've been there the last few seasons and theres definatly some morons...some that actually miss half the game going for a fag and a beer.

But we're lucky we've got some good lads around us that know exactly whats going on. and talk a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, Pale Rider said:

Can’t believe the amount of positivity being posted about last night.

1. Any performance by your own team should always be tempered by the level of opposition performance. Blackburn and Reading playing as they did would have still beaten us last night.

2. We only looked really threatening after Fletcher came on. Why does that change other players performance levels?

3. Fully hope we kick on from the win, but by and large it was turgid.

Wrong on all 3 counts for me.

1. Of course you have to take the level of opposition into account - and Chalrton were dire - but we deserved to win by a more comfortable margin - 24 attempts while Charlton mustered just 1 on target. Nothing like the Reading and Blackburn displays when we were poor but having 10 men made the scores worse.
  2. Forestieri alone should have scored twice before Fletcher came on.
  3. As above 24 shots on goal is not turgid, first half was slow at times but we were bright from the start of the 2nd half and certainly deserved the win.

not saying that it is a corner turned and we are likely to go on a good run based on this but the performance deserved the result. Enjoy it!

1 hour ago, Steve Down South said:

I’m sure the MOTM Performance scores would have been lower had we drawn that game.  Delighted with 3 points and one or two positives to take (mainly return of Fletcher) but we only just managed to beat a very poor side, who had chances of their own in the second half.

A well taken snap shot from outside the box by a good striker and one blocked shot? Hardly too many chances compared to us and as poor as they were they had won 3 of their previous 5 - in much better form than us!

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, Pale Rider said:

Can’t believe the amount of positivity being posted about last night.

1. Any performance by your own team should always be tempered by the level of opposition performance. Blackburn and Reading playing as they did would have still beaten us last night.

2. We only looked really threatening after Fletcher came on. Why does that change other players performance levels?

3. Fully hope we kick on from the win, but by and large it was turgid.

Nobody's getting carried away after last night's result but surely a bit of positivity is no bad thing. I don't think anybody's expecting us to go on a long unbeaten run but it's good to come away with 3 points. If people thought it was a better performance last night, which it was, what's the harm in saying that. At least we mainly moved away last night from the aimless long ball upfield and tried to play a bit more. It wasn't a great performance but it was better that what we've been used to and might give the pkayers a bit of confidence.

Glad you're not in the dressing room giving the players a pep talk.

49 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Unfortunately that's the way it works. 

A player could play terrible all match then score a last minute goal and then he has played brilliant.

Also a player could have been brilliant all game but makes a last minute mistake and then he has played terrible.

If the player in scenario one is a fans favourite then times amount of praise by about three.

And if the player in scenario two is not a fans favourite then times criticism by about three.

I don't often praise him but I thought Pelupessy was faultless last night! 

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

A well taken snap shot from outside the box by a good striker and one blocked shot? Hardly too many chances compared to us and as poor as they were they had won 3 of their previous 5 - in much better form than us!

Their goalkeeper played very well. That is a reality.

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I take your point, but until Fletcher came on we never really looked like scoring.  With him on the pitch, their keeper made a couple of good saves but I still don’t think we were really threatening.  On another day Lees doesn’t get that block in and we lose 1-0.  We deserved the win for sure, I loved the celebrations after Fletcher’s goal, but it wasn’t pretty and way off what we should be aiming for.

• Haha 1