Reality needed

Can’t believe the amount of positivity being posted about last night.

1. Any performance by your own team should always be tempered by the level of opposition performance. Blackburn and Reading playing as they did would have still beaten us last night.

2. We only looked really threatening after Fletcher came on. Why does that change other players performance levels?

3. Fully hope we kick on from the win, but by and large it was turgid.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pale Rider said:

1. Any performance by your own team should always be tempered by the level of opposition performance. Blackburn and Reading playing as they did would have still beaten us last night.

2. We only looked really threatening after Fletcher came on. Why does that change other players performance levels?

Boooooo, call yourself a proper fan.

Don't you know we are destined for the play off now we have beaten Charlton.

• Haha 3

I'm under no illusions that we'll be pushing on for a play off place but I think your summary is a bit harsh

Thought FF played well last night. Good to see Fox back and playing well. Also thought the defence played quite well as a unit. 

With some better finishing we could have been three up before Fletch came on.

Not sure about Wickham though, he still looks off the pace.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Boooooo, call yourself a proper fan.

Don't you know we are destined for the play off now we have beaten Charlton.

The amount of positivity is because we came out and had a pop...that's what most fans expect as a baseline..can't fault the effort. You must be gutted

Edited by daveyboy66
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Spoke to a lot of fellow fans today, I think the consensus when the goal went in was - we went batshit mental, then when we got home we took it in our stride because it was just a poor performance that thankfully ended in a victory.

No reality check needed to be fair.

We all did have one thing in mind - it was much needed and gave us all a little bit of belief again after quite a crap period.

• Haha 1

We created our 2nd highest xG of the season last night. It was our most convincing performance of the season, in terms of xG difference. 

Our attacking play was as varied, and as effective as it has been all season.

Now I'm fully aware, of late, we've been starved of much attacking threat, but to totally discount the performance because it was Charlton, is ridiculous.

Of course, there should always be some rationality with any performance (but on here, rationale doesn't seem to come into it for most posters), and getting carried away after last nights performance is just as ridiculous as writing it off because of opposition weren't great.

This very same Charlton side have beaten Nottm Forest, one of the form teams in the division, away from home just a fortnight ago. They've also beaten Luton and Barnsley, two sides we couldn't, as well as gaining more than credible draws against WBA and Fulham all within this calendar year. They are no mugs.

Maybe, just maybe, we contributed to them been particularly poor last night? 

Regardless of opposition, last night's performance was good. In every sense of the word. 24 shots on goal, 18 of those within the 18 yard box, four clear cut chances. In comparison, Charlton had ONE effort taken inside our own 18 yard box. 

In terms of xG last night, we created 2.61 compared to Charlton's 0.83. You can only play the opponents in front of you...and last night, we battered them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

I know. I only come on here to wade through the hopeless misery that these flipping pathetic whiners post day after day. The overwhelming sense of abject despair makes me happy and I curse the players of Sheffield Wednesday for making people a little bit less miserable last night and therefore me a little less happy. My only hope of any sort of blue sky on the horizon is the mass panic a looming pandemic will cause.

I may have to kick the dog.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

We created our 2nd highest xG of the season last night. It was our most convincing performance of the season, in terms of xG difference. 

Our attacking play was as varied, and as effective as it has been all season.

Now I'm fully aware, of late, we've been starved of much attacking threat, but to totally discount the performance because it was Charlton, is ridiculous.

Of course, there should always be some rationality with any performance (but on here, rationale doesn't seem to come into it for most posters), and getting carried away after last nights performance is just as ridiculous as writing it off because of opposition weren't great.

This very same Charlton side have beaten Nottm Forest, one of the form teams in the division, away from home just a fortnight ago. They've also beaten Luton and Barnsley, two sides we couldn't, as well as gaining more than credible draws against WBA and Fulham all within this calendar year. They are no mugs.

Maybe, just maybe, we contributed to them been particularly poor last night? 

Regardless of opposition, last night's performance was good. In every sense of the word. 24 shots on goal, 18 of those within the 18 yard box, four clear cut chances. In comparison, Charlton had ONE effort taken inside our own 18 yard box. 

In terms of xG last night, we created 2.61 compared to Charlton's 0.83. You can only play the opponents in front of you...and last night, we battered them. 

Yeah but statistics aren't real facts