Nuhiu our best ever impact player?

4 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

It seems our budget this summer will once again be modest and there will potentially be a significant number leaving. If you are anticipating an influx of talented players, I fear you are in for a disappointment. Regardless, you still need a squad offering options and back up. Nuhiu has proved perfectly capable of being such a contributor. A club in our circumstances simply cannot have 20-25 top players vying for the first team. Some have to accept a reserve role.

I think you sum the position up pretty well, but if we have no expectation of attracting a couple of talented players (from lower leagues or possibly released by Premier League clubs) we might as well pack up and go home.

I agree there’s no way we can support a large squad of top players, but those on bench should at least be worthy of a start in event of injury / suspension.  Just a pity our development of young talent has been so poor, seems to be little prospect of such players bolstering the first team squad next season.

30 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

It seems our budget this summer will once again be modest and there will potentially be a significant number leaving. If you are anticipating an influx of talented players, I fear you are in for a disappointment. Regardless, you still need a squad offering options and back up. Nuhiu has proved perfectly capable of being such a contributor. A club in our circumstances simply cannot have 20-25 top players vying for the first team. Some have to accept a reserve role.

Spot on

He’s invaluable at times.

Inconsistent and ineffective at others.

I like him for what it is. I think people expect too much from him. 

Id be keeping him Cos we’d struggle to replace what he does offer, and other teams in the championship would benefit greatly from a player like him.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shandypants said:

How is he awful? 

I fvvcking despair at some of our fans at times. 

your entitled to your opinion bud,i go home and away and have never seen really what he offers,he tries,yes,but he is a striker and his strike rate is a joke,as for making the space the other night for Fletch to score,he fell over,ffs,don't dislike him, admire his effort,but could you imagine if we went up,him coming on in the premier,really,anyway opinions differ,imo now we have Wickham and Windass,can't see him getting much time on the pitch

3 minutes ago, brando said:

your entitled to your opinion bud,i go home and away and have never seen really what he offers,he tries,yes,but he is a striker and his strike rate is a joke,as for making the space the other night for Fletch to score,he fell over,ffs,don't dislike him, admire his effort,but could you imagine if we went up,him coming on in the premier,really,anyway opinions differ,imo now we have Wickham and Windass,can't see him getting much time on the pitch

ps makes Chapman look like Shearer

1 hour ago, brando said:

he's not a striker he's a target man  who can defend …...everyone knows he's not going to score on a regular basis but when the chips are down whether 1-0 up or down he's the bloke to throw on ….you say you go home and away well so  do the managers who pick him  and they all have ever since hes been here ….perhaps your right and they are wrong but I doubt that they are .

On 27/02/2020 at 17:54, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

He was sub  23 times on the team sheet for the last time (Unused) in a 2-2 draw v WBA  18/11/68 he was sold on to Rotherham IMO a big mistake. Our first named sub was Wilf Smith at Old Trafford 3-3 draw 21/8/65. Our first sub to get on was David Ford home v Sunderland in a 3-1 win 23/10/65.    

I don't recall quinny  as a super sub nev the first  one I heard called that was ian Nimmo in the 70s..... ……...smith was the first but we didn't draw 3-3 we lost we 1-0 

Edited by torryowl

3 hours ago, brando said:

...but he is a striker and his strike rate is a joke...

Sure, it's not great, but his strike rate is nowhere near as bad as the accepted wisdom would have you believe. And judging a striker as nothing more than a number on a page that doesn't even require watching him play is painfully limited. I don't understand this unquestioned obsession with viewing defenders as a unit but attackers as individuals.

11 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

If you actually look at some of the goals he has scored, he is pretty good with his feet for such a big man. Look at his first ever goal for us v QPR and that one when he got a hatrick against Norwich. Some of his finishes have been sublime.

The one against pne when he was hemmed in by the corner flag was one of the best goals I've seen ... he's  got the skill but when your that big it's the pace that holds him back .

10 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Sure, it's not great, but his strike rate is nowhere near as bad as the accepted wisdom would have you believe. And judging a striker as nothing more than a number on a page that doesn't even require watching him play is painfully limited. I don't understand this unquestioned obsession with viewing defenders as a unit but attackers as individuals.

Agreed.

Your resent comments in the Rhodes-Fletcher “unit” thread contradict you though. 

11 hours ago, torryowl said:

he's not a striker he's a target man  who can defend …...everyone knows he's not going to score on a regular basis but when the chips are down whether 1-0 up or down he's the bloke to throw on ….you say you go home and away well so  do the managers who pick him  and they all have ever since hes been here ….perhaps your right and they are wrong but I doubt that they are .

I was just about to make this point myself. It seems that, nowadays, many fans don’t know the difference between a striker and a centre-forward (Rhodes being the former and Nuhiu being the latter), and it seems that the understanding has been lost that a centre-forward isn’t expected to get you the goals but to link the play and be a target and that a high strike rate is a bonus. Nuhiu does a good job as a centre-forward but he will never be successful as a striker because that’s not his job. A ce forward cannot be judged on the amount of goals scored alone. 

11 minutes ago, Owly Mowly said:

He is impactful when we are pushing a lot of players forward- that’s why he is effective late on when we are chasing a goal.

When he is isolated you can forget it - he offers very little.

He works well when he has plenty of other bodies in and around him 

Made the same point myself the other game but that’s to do with the tactics also. Why do we hit the ball long to an isolated Nuhiu in a 4-5-1? We need to heat players around him to pick up the pieces when he gets something on it. 

14 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

I think you sum the position up pretty well, but if we have no expectation of attracting a couple of talented players (from lower leagues or possibly released by Premier League clubs) we might as well pack up and go home.

I agree there’s no way we can support a large squad of top players, but those on bench should at least be worthy of a start in event of injury / suspension.  Just a pity our development of young talent has been so poor, seems to be little prospect of such players bolstering the first team squad next season.

Agree with if a player is on the bench he should be good enough to start 

Nuihu isn't good enough and we will never do anything if we have to rely on him for goals 

I get the impression the "impact sub" term is just something that his supporters are using to justify him being at the club 

They say things like "defenders dont know how to handle him" ...really ? I'd say the amount of goals he has scored shows they no very well how to handle him!