Nuhiu our best ever impact player?

41 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I remember that Everton game, Francis didn't score but he came on for about 10 minutes, set up the winner then went off again looking absolutely knackered!

I think the only league goal Francis actually scored (he created a few though) when he was player/manager was a last minute winner against Forest, that was probably his last ever league goal which was a fitting end, he scored 2 in a game in a league cup tie as well which may have been after the Forest game. Big Ron used to bring him on quite a lot to rescue games in the promotion season, he loved a curler into the top corner did Trev.

My memory is garbage I've probably got mixed up 

I remember him scoring an absolute cracker with his left foot, he curled it in front of the kop

Did the Everton game put us on top of the league, or have I got mixed up again

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

guy says johnny quin. he remembers him so much, that he can't even spell his name correctly. leave his comments to people who can remember quinn, a player who more often than not, started games......eg cup final 1966, a match that I actually went to. nuhiu has his critics, but for what we paid for him, and what he has contributed over the years, he has been a superb signing.

16 minutes ago, owlerfan1 said:

guy says johnny quin. he remembers him so much, that he can't even spell his name correctly. leave his comments to people who can remember quinn, a player who more often than not, started games......eg cup final 1966, a match that I actually went to. nuhiu has his critics, but for what we paid for him, and what he has contributed over the years, he has been a superb signing.

Johnny Quinn played for Wednesday from 1959-67, and substitutes weren't even used until the 65-66 season.

According to this site http://www.adrianbullock.com/swfc/stats/play0488.htm  he only ever made 10 league and cup sub appearances in the 3 seasons he was here when subs were a thing, but made 81 starts in the same period so he was hardly a regular sub!.

34 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

My memory is garbage I've probably got mixed up 

I remember him scoring an absolute cracker with his left foot, he curled it in front of the kop

Did the Everton game put us on top of the league, or have I got mixed up again

Think you're mixed up again Hoots! It was a long time ago though. Think it was our first win of the season, we'd lost 3-2 to Villa in the opening game then drew at Leeds.

Can't remember what his goal against Forest soon after that was like off the top of my head, it'll be on Youtube somewhere, but he scored a few of those lovely curlers.

3 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

He’s not good enough.

i find it amazing that he is getting credit for losing his balance and falling on his bum.

i assure you, I could cause equal confusion if that’s what it takes.

Trevor Francis was in a completely different league as an impact sub.

Gordon Watson was also a good one.

As was Mark Chamberlain.

not forgetting Jemson v Man Utd and the cameo from Larwie Madden at Wembley lol

I agree with everything you say about the other players (Francis being our best ever impact sub and I would go as far as saying that he’s one of the best ever at any club) but I must disagree with you about Nuhiu who is not a rubbish player by any means. We need to be balanced in our appraisal of players. Nuhiu must be on his sixth or seventh consecutive Owls manager and has been favoured to some extent by all of them - that is not a sign of a bad player. 

3 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I agree with everything you say about the other players (Francis being our best ever impact sub and I would go as far as saying that he’s one of the best ever at any club) but I must disagree with you about Nuhiu who is not a rubbish player by any means. We need to be balanced in our appraisal of players. Nuhiu must be on his sixth or seventh consecutive Owls manager and has been favoured to some extent by all of them - that is not a sign of a bad player. 

It is no coincidence that the highest finish since Nuhiu joined was the season he played the least.

Thats my opinion.

42 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Johnny Quinn played for Wednesday from 1959-67, and substitutes weren't even used until the 65-66 season.

According to this site http://www.adrianbullock.com/swfc/stats/play0488.htm  he only ever made 10 league and cup sub appearances in the 3 seasons he was here when subs were a thing, but made 81 starts in the same period so he was hardly a regular sub!.

He was sub  23 times on the team sheet for the last time (Unused) in a 2-2 draw v WBA  18/11/68 he was sold on to Rotherham IMO a big mistake. Our first named sub was Wilf Smith at Old Trafford 3-3 draw 21/8/65. Our first sub to get on was David Ford home v Sunderland in a 3-1 win 23/10/65.    

2 hours ago, alanharper said:

I remember that Everton game, Francis didn't score but he came on for about 10 minutes, set up the winner then went off again looking absolutely knackered!

I think the only league goal Francis actually scored (he created a few though) when he was player/manager was a last minute winner against Forest, that was probably his last ever league goal which was a fitting end, he scored 2 in a game in a league cup tie as well which may have been after the Forest game. Big Ron used to bring him on quite a lot to rescue games in the promotion season, he loved a curler into the top corner did Trev.

Ah, the Orient game. I think that was the match which persuaded him to sign Bart-Williams.

Scored a cracking goal. Curled it into the far post. Super stuff.

Go long feet Trevor. Think that's why he curled his shots and was so good at crossing.. Can't recall him ever leathering anything.

Mind. I do recall him getting leathered by one of the most blatant fouls I've ever seen...

giphy.gif

Sorry other than falling over when the ball bounced to him and that horrendous lunging tackle I can't really remember him having an impact?

In some games he has had a great impact but as much as some people like to slag him off there are equally others who want to heap praise on him when he hasn't done anything

4 minutes ago, mrrodge said:

Sorry other than falling over when the ball bounced to him and that horrendous lunging tackle I can't really remember him having an impact?

In some games he has had a great impact but as much as some people like to slag him off there are equally others who want to heap praise on him when he hasn't done anything

I am not saying he was brilliant last night, but his presence in the box last night created the goal, by taking the other player away from Fletcher. That’s not an opinion, it happened.

The Leeds game is the best example, he scores a goal and makes one with a sublime pass. If Bannan has made that pass, some on here would still be drooling about it.

I am sure somebody will know but how many goals has he scored for us within the last 5 minutes of games?

13 minutes ago, mrrodge said:

Sorry other than falling over when the ball bounced to him and that horrendous lunging tackle I can't really remember him having an impact?

You would have remembered the impact  if you'd been on the receiving end of that tackle.lol

1 hour ago, folger said:

Let's be honest, if we released him they'd be a Que of about a dozen Championship clubs in for him.

We don’t know that

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

There wouldn’t be a queue of 1.....not even Spanish 2nd tier clubs would be interested in him

We don’t know this also

What we do know is that he’s been at the club for a long time, has been favoured to by all of the managers he has played for, had his contract extended a few times, has seen off many competitors for his place in the squad and is still coming on in (and sometimes starting) games even though there are other forwards at the club. He must be doing something right. 

If he leaves in the summer then fair enough but he’ll always get my support while he’s a Wednesday player. 

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

It might not be a sign of a bad player but it’s a bloody sign of a bad manager......remind me how many of those managers that favoured him got us promoted ......all of them got sacked (Bruce definitely didn’t favour him) and whilst we continue to accept that standard we will, at best, remain where we are