Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

Guest Kagoshimaowl
5 hours ago, fudge27 said:

Yea Westwood, who is one of our top earners and has been one of the reasons we are in the current predicament, coupled with the fact we have 2 good championship keepers in Dawson and Wildsmith, though granted Dawson form was poor for most of this season 

Dawson and good do not go into the same sentence!

From Yorkshire Live.....

Sheffield Wednesday boss Garry Monk has played down the club’s reported interest in Manchester United talent James Garner.

The Owls have been linked with a move for the United midfielder but, speaking to Yorkshire Live after the win against Bristol City, Monk played down that suggestion. 

“I think we will be linked with everyone. I don't even know what next season will look like. I don't know when it will start. We have not been told anything about when the transfer window will open or when it ends.

“I have already told you what the squad needs to look like moving forward and the club are working hard behind the scenes to identify players. The market we will be working in will be frees and loans as that's all we can do.”

3 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

From Yorkshire Live.....

Sheffield Wednesday boss Garry Monk has played down the club’s reported interest in Manchester United talent James Garner.

The Owls have been linked with a move for the United midfielder but, speaking to Yorkshire Live after the win against Bristol City, Monk played down that suggestion. 

“I think we will be linked with everyone. I don't even know what next season will look like. I don't know when it will start. We have not been told anything about when the transfer window will open or when it ends.

“I have already told you what the squad needs to look like moving forward and the club are working hard behind the scenes to identify players. The market we will be working in will be frees and loans as that's all we can do.”

Fair enough, well at least that’s put paid to those, us buying Windass rumours

7 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

The compensation fee for a player of his age... having been in Arsenal's youth academy for the number of years he has been, with their academy being the category that it is, having made plenty of appearances at youth international stage, with his goalscoring record... will come to a few £million (as I understand it). 

We're skint. 

Thanks for clarifying re compensation - I agree we are back in the £350k days.  Even if compensation was modest, a player like this is way out of our grasp.  Best we could hope in this case is that player stays at Arsenal and we take on loan.

13 hours ago, fudge27 said:

Yea Westwood, who is one of our top earners and has been one of the reasons we are in the current predicament, coupled with the fact we have 2 good championship keepers in Dawson and Wildsmith, though granted Dawson form was poor for most of this season 

Why is Westwood the reason for our current predicament. I’m genuinely interested why you think that

2 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Why is Westwood the reason for our current predicament. I’m genuinely interested why you think that

You don't see the correlation between us handing out big contracts to players and then not moving them on and breaching ffp? 

1 hour ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

From Yorkshire Live.....

Yeh there’s definitely no transfer budget to chuck about, wether that’s down to Chansiri not been interested is open for debate , suspect it may be though 

1 hour ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

From Yorkshire Live.....

I don't think Monk is daft when he speaks - when you state this, clubs wont be hiking up prices for players.

Managers that state they have a set amount to spend always pay over the odds.

Everyone will have a different approach to normal when next season starts, I suspect most of the players will be on a free transfer /out of contract and on reduced wages. Only Prem league will have large transfer fees. Its a time to bring the young ones through into the first team

Raid prem clubs stick piling youngsters is what I’ve alesys wanted us to do. Some incredible talent always comes out of them. Can often pick up a few gems on the cheap.

So many drop down the leagues and make excellent championship and good prem players with huge resale value.

Problem we now have is I’m pretty sure we can’t be spending even a couple of million on players next season. So go the loan route. We should always look for hear loans too with signing youngsters permanently.

I’ve always liked Izzy Brown. Tough couple years with injury, played full season at Luton, looks class. Exactly type of player we need and won’t cost an arm and a leg. That’s just one example of the type I’d go for. Wanted us in for Kasey Palmer last year, think he might have been on Bristol’s bench actually. 

2 hours ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

From Yorkshire Live.....

I'm not sure if that last bit is misquoted as I think they ran more or less the same piece in the star and it read along the lines that we had made contact with players who were out of contract as frees and loans were all we could look at right now , as EFL hadn't clarified how the transfer window was going to work next season

Guest wilyfox
2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Fair enough, well at least that’s put paid to those, us buying Windass rumours

Name a few available & affordable amazing strikers we should be after if you don't wanna give Windass a go. 

Watched the League 2 play off final last night , reckon we could do a lot worse that get Randall Williams from Exeter . 23yrs old and quick with good ball control and left footed . Stood out in a losing side as wide man and second striker at various times during the match.

43 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Raid prem clubs stick piling youngsters is what I’ve alesys wanted us to do. Some incredible talent always comes out of them. Can often pick up a few gems on the cheap.

So many drop down the leagues and make excellent championship and good prem players with huge resale value.

Problem we now have is I’m pretty sure we can’t be spending even a couple of million on players next season. So go the loan route. We should always look for hear loans too with signing youngsters permanently.

I’ve always liked Izzy Brown. Tough couple years with injury, played full season at Luton, looks class. Exactly type of player we need and won’t cost an arm and a leg. That’s just one example of the type I’d go for. Wanted us in for Kasey Palmer last year, think he might have been on Bristol’s bench actually. 

Absolutely, Huddersfield went up with 5 or 6 quality young loanees from the top flight It bugs the carp out of me that we so often use the loan market to duplicate what we already have, steady Eddie thirty somethings 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

From Yorkshire Live.....

He does fit the criteria Garner. Young, energetic, good pedigree 

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Trouble is Wigan will want a fee for Windass, reported to be 500k. Didnt they pay £1.5 million for him.

500k is modest outlay for a striker. May even be do-able if we can get shot of Rhodes or Westwood, or trade someone like Reach. The free agent market will be awash wish rubbish no-one wants, players over the hill, and greedy beggars holding out for too much. Won't be easy finding quality on the cheap. If we could sign Windass for 500k & Martin on a free, good luck finding better value than that. 

12 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Name a few available & affordable amazing strikers we should be after if you don't wanna give Windass a go. 

If we aren’t spending money, then players like Windass, and sadly, Holland, will be beyond us. Personally I don’t rate Windass as a striker, and I wasn’t keen on wasting a fee on him Guess if it’s down to frees, it will be the likes of Bennett, plus perhaps half a dozen loanees