Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

So, I ask once more... Who are these supposed striker loans we should target? You've named two full-backs to try and dodge the question, but it still remains. If you scoff at suggestions champ level, who are these imaginary strikers we should be after? 

I never suggested we’d be looking for 5 loanee strikers. The loanees would cover different areas within the squad. Maybe our striker options will entail keeping Rhodes, in which case we might then be looking at signing 2 or 3 freebies, with maybe one loan striker. The point is, I’ve already said, I don’t think it’s feasible  to completely rebuild our strike force with no budget For me, we have to make a few sales, with Reach being an obvious candidate

3 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I have wanted Liam Palmer gone for years and years never been good enough. Should have bought a new right back years ago and made Hunt back up getting rid of Palmer. 

Yes he has improved over the past couple of years. Yes he gives it his all but he is simply not good enough for a top 6 championship team. We have regressed that much people have forgotten how bad he is because we have had much worse.

How bad he WAS!  In the past couple of years he has proved he can do a job at right back, left back and now centre back. What more do you want.? 

If you want him out of the starting eleven then fair enough. But to want he gone from the club while retaining Odubajo is ridiculous.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I have wanted Liam Palmer gone for years and years never been good enough. Should have bought a new right back years ago and made Hunt back up getting rid of Palmer. 

Yes he has improved over the past couple of years. Yes he gives it his all but he is simply not good enough for a top 6 championship team. We have regressed that much people have forgotten how bad he is because we have had much worse.

Opinions mate, I think Palmer is a much better defender than Hunt, and his versatility makes him a cornerstone of our defence

• Like 3

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I never suggested we’d be looking for 5 loanee strikers. The loanees would cover different areas within the squad. Maybe our striker options will entail keeping Rhodes, in which case we might then be looking at signing 2 or 3 freebies, with maybe one loan striker. The point is, I’ve already said, I don’t think it’s feasible  to completely rebuild our strike force with no budget For me, we have to make a few sales, with Reach being an obvious candidate

..and whom might that be again? You keep reeling that out. Whether it's 1 loan striker, 2, or 5... still can't name any of the sort you're referring to. 

7 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Palmer is much improved. Another player that would get a lot of interest from other clubs in the championship if he were to leave.

We're not a top 6 team. We won't be for some time given the financial mess we're in. He is a solid, dependable right back for a mid table championship team, which is what we are, and to replace him would be a gamble (we wouldn't know how any new signing would fit in) and no doubt cost us more.

There are more important areas we need to improve upon

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

..and whom might that be again? You keep reeling that out. Whether it's 1 loan striker, 2, or 5... still can't name any of the sort you're referring to. 

I don’t know who that might be, I suppose it would depend on the makeup of the rest of the group There are a plethora of potential targets at Premier League clubs, and I’m certainly not going to go through every single top flight club. Take Everton for instance, if we wanted that type of striker, I ŵould imagine both Simms and Gordon might be available

Guest wilyfox
12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t know who that might be, I suppose it would depend on the makeup of the rest of the group There are a plethora of potential targets at Premier League clubs, and I’m certainly not going to go through every single top flight club. Take Everton for instance, if we wanted that type of striker, I ŵould imagine both Simms and Gordon might be available

Simms has absolute zero senior experience, and Gordon is not a striker. In other positions, yes, I'm sure there are potential targets. Garner would be great. But strikers...I don't believe they're as readily available you make out. 

2 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Simms has absolute zero senior experience, and Gordon is not a striker. In other positions, yes, I'm sure there are potential targets. Garner would be great. But strikers...I don't believe they're as readily available you make out. 

As I said, it depends on the make up of the rest of the group. If end up keeping Rhodes, and manage to sign a few experienced championship cast offs, for instance, then we might need to look for a quick youngster on loan. Most top flight clubs will have a few of them in their development squads, inexperienced yes, but giving us the sort of pace we would be unable to buy Who knows, for me the whole idea of rebuilding a completely new strike force at Championship level with no money, is quite frankly laughable

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

As I said, it depends on the make up of the rest of the group. If end up keeping Rhodes, and manage to sign a few experienced championship cast offs, for instance, then we might need to look for a quick youngster on loan. Most top flight clubs will have a few of them in their development squads, inexperienced yes, but giving us the sort of pace we would be unable to buy Who knows, for me the whole idea of rebuilding a completely new strike force at Championship level with no money, is quite frankly laughable

Pigs got promoted with Sharp and Mcgoldrick tbf

1 minute ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Do we think there might be a chance of keeping Wickham for next season, probably on another loan deal? He's got one year left on his deal at Palace, can't see him getting back into their side.

Depends on how much of his wages and loan fee we would pay I'd guess. 

If he carries on doing well I can see him going to one of the newly promoted Prem sides. Got all the attributes, just needs to stay fit. 

Guest wilyfox
5 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Do we think there might be a chance of keeping Wickham for next season, probably on another loan deal? He's got one year left on his deal at Palace, can't see him getting back into their side.

Loan out a £7m player until the end of his contract? 

2 hours ago, Tarquin said:

Watched the League 2 play off final last night , reckon we could do a lot worse that get Randall Williams from Exeter . 23yrs old and quick with good ball control and left footed . Stood out in a losing side as wide man and second striker at various times during the match.

Exeter City winger Randell Williams is being targeted by Championship duo Swansea City and Bristol City, according to reports.

The Grecians star has had an excellent season in League Two with the Devon club, helping them reach the play-off final for the third time in four years.

Palmer may cut it as part of a back 3 but he hasn’t got the qualities to be a good orthodox full-back or wing-back. As has already been said we need better if we want to be Top 6?

Edited by Jim
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim said:

Palmer may cut it as part of a back 3 but he hasn’t got the qualities to be a good orthodox full-back or wing-back. As has already been said we need better if we want to be Top 6?

I don't think we will be fully pushing for top 6 for a few years. We need to get our finances back in order before we do. 

Palmer is solid, won't be on huge wages and is rarely injured.

1 hour ago, Chris Apolon said:

Palmer is much improved. Another player that would get a lot of interest from other clubs in the championship if he were to leave.

We're not a top 6 team. We won't be for some time given the financial mess we're in. He is a solid, dependable right back for a mid table championship team, which is what we are, and to replace him would be a gamble (we wouldn't know how any new signing would fit in) and no doubt cost us more.

There are more important areas we need to improve upon

Got to be honest I haven't been Palmers biggest fan over the years but I have to say last couple of seasons he has improved a lot for me, certainly feel more comfortable with him at RB than Moses. End of the day the lad wont be on massive wages, he's proved he can compete at Championship level, and he's an Owl so you know he will give his all for the club.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

I don't think we will be fully pushing for top 6 for a few years. We need to get our finances back in order before we do. 

Palmer is solid, won't be on huge wages and is rarely injured.

I know and appreciate what you’re saying but what we may deem as realistic and what the chairman does and expect may well differ?

• Like 1