Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Think I might have been a bit premature in stating I was optimistic about the players we have been linked with

Hahaha, were not gonna be picking the top signings up as don’t think DC will be prepared to pay the wages , need to box clever though there’s bargains to be had 

Marcus Maddison had/has some potential so could be an astute free transfer, Jackson Irvine could do well here as well I feel 

1 hour ago, Smokinblunts said:

Apparently Chris Martin from Derby on a free is possible.

Going off Monk’s comments yesterday. I don’t think Martin fits the “young and dynamic” targets he referred to. Good player, complete poo house. Would have liked him 5 years ago. 

• Like 1

Just now, 0114 said:

Going off Monk’s comments yesterday. I don’t think Martin fits the “young and dynamic” targets he referred to. Good player, complete poo house. Would have liked him 5 years ago. 

I may be wrong but I think he said he wanted a bit of experience mixed in as well. 

8 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I may be wrong but I think he said he wanted a bit of experience mixed in as well. 

We have that already, Palmer, Lees, Iorfa, Borner, Bannan, Luongo, Pelupessy, Reach, Harris and Rhodes. How much experience does he want? I’m really hoping his comments on recruitment, aren’t just appeasing words

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

first we need to know which division we will be in

Makes no difference if you’re getting in youngsters with potential. In fact, they may be even better for us in league 1. Obviously I hope we don’t have to test that theory.

Having young hungry kids is absolutely the way we need to go, but equally we need different options in the squad. Chris martin is what he is. A bit of a poo house who winds up opponents, get stuck in with the hustle and bustle and wins cheap free kicks. Hed be an upgrade on nuhiu. Doesnt necessarily have to be martin, but we certainly need someone who can play that role. 

Edited by oneeyedmilkman

2 minutes ago, oneeyedmilkman said:

Having young hungry kids is absolutely the way we need to go, but equally we need different options in the squad. Chris martin is what he is. A bit of a poo house who winds up opponents, get stuck in with the hustle and bustle and wins cheap free kicks. Hed be an upgrade on nuhiu. Doesnt necessarily have to be martin, but we certainly need someone who can play that role. 

Please no, we need to get away from that type of football Unless you’re talking about League One?

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Please no, we need to get away from that type of football Unless you’re talking about League One?

disagree. Purism and a dogmatic approach cost us promotion. The best teams can play football but also deal with the sh1th0uses. We lost or dropped to many of the sides at the bottom of the league 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

disagree. Purism and a dogmatic approach cost us promotion. The best teams can play football but also deal with the sh1th0uses. We lost or dropped to many of the sides at the bottom of the league 

but we were better in the first two seasons when we played football

15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

but we were better in the first two seasons when we played football

Better perhaps when conditions suited, but ultimately successful?

I’d rather be able to play football at the right moment and in the right areas and be able to do the dirty work too. We saw signs of that when we were third in the league this season but it trailed off. We are a mishmash at the moment.

We don’t have the funds to buy the best technicians across the pitch and that’s the only way would dominate from playing the kind of football you’re describing so we need to be pragmatic. 

Edited by Bluesteel

TBH I’ll believe this young dynamic approach when I see it. I think given the choice Monk will always go down the experience route as we’ll probably see in the run-in with only Urgohide and Hunt used unless we’re severely stretched with injuries?

6 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Better perhaps when conditions suited, but ultimately successful?

I’d rather be able to play football at the right moment and in the right areas and be able to do the dirty work too. We saw signs of that when we were third in the league this season but it trailed off. We are a mishmash at the moment.

We don’t have the funds to buy the best technicians across the pitch and that’s the only way would dominate from playing the kind of football you’re describing so we need to be pragmatic. 

I don’t really buy that, having a big lump up front would not have made much difference in season one In season two, we had Fletcher. The more we began to focus on hitting the big man, the less effective we were, and a noticeably harder watch. 
We have a decent technician in Bannan, and previously in Forestieri. If we need to supplement them, there are plenty of talented youngsters available for loan, all good technicians. In my opinion, it’s not about not having the players to play a more expansive game, it’s about a lack of desire to do it

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

We have experience in the squad in Lees, Borner, Bannan, Rhodes and Reach so don’t need much more if we are to add youth to the squad. Being linked to the likes of Chris Martin disappoints me unless we get rid of Rhodes. 

I would snap your hand off to have Martin replace Nuhiu. 

• Like 1