Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t really buy that, having a big lump up front would not have made much difference in season one In season two, we had Fletcher. The more we began to focus on hitting the big man, the less effective we were, and a noticeably harder watch. 
We have a decent technician in Bannan, and previously in Forestieri. If we need to supplement them, there are plenty of talented youngsters available for loan, all good technicians. In my opinion, it’s not about not having the players to play a more expansive game, it’s about a lack of desire to do it

Having a decent physical forward in the first season probably would’ve seen us more likely to go up. Neither forward saw the ball at Wembley.

The following season we finished higher and got more points with a more pragmatic style which re-enforces my point. Had we been less focused on possession we would’ve been more threatening to Huddersfield on the counter attack too

Edited by Bluesteel

27 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Having a decent physical forward in the first season probably would’ve seen us more likely to go up. Neither forward saw the ball at Wembley.

The following season we finished higher and got more points with a more pragmatic style which re-enforces my point. Had we been less focused on possession we would’ve been more threatening to Huddersfield on the counter attack too

Yes I agree, we should have taken the game to Huddersfield, but Carlos was probably thinking, we’d done the hard part, and the tactics had served us well all season In hindsight he was wrong, Huddersfield were there for the taking. However, it was the possession game that had stifled teams, and had enabled us to finish higher than season one. 

Guest wilyfox

I'm in favour of younger & more dynamic strikers moving forward, but, I do feel every squad could use one more physical option. I have always liked Martin. He battles centre-halves, and his link-play is excellent. He is influential in creating chances for Derby over the years - and is still performing, importantly. With Fletch & Nuhiu signing off, and Wickham very costly, I certainly would not scoff at Martin on a free. 

3 minutes ago, EcclesallOwl said:

Angel Gomes leaving Man U after failing to agree new contract

Would be one I’d go for, more unlikely to sign permanent but could be a loan target if he signs for another big club 

Pretty sure if Angel Gomes is leaving Man Utd his next club will be a club of similar stature. 

Realistically i can only see 16 players from the current squad being around at the start of next season/in the match day squads. There are areas we desperately need cover for ....

Goalkeepers:

Joe wildsmith

Cameron Dawson

Kieran Westwood - as we know will most likely leave 

Need a back up - be able to get one on a free

Defenders:

Liam Palmer

Dom Iorfa

Julian Borner

Matt Penney (option to work in the new system we're play with the wing backs)

Moses Odubajo - Monk said he could go earlier in the season so that's a tricky one

Tom Lees - days may be numbered

Fox - Gone

JVA - will be frozen out, or loaned

new centre half and a left back needed if not more

Midfielders:

Kadeem Harris

Joey Pelupessy (sigh)

Bannan

Adam Reach - i don't know why, but i have a feeling he'll leave for a couple million

Luongo

Hunt - obviously has huge potential, a league 1 loan would be great for him

Hutch - Gone

Lee - Gone

2 maybe 3 needed in this department - seen a few mention him but jackson irvine would suit, Ben Whiteman from Donny is one i'd look to sign good age at 23

Strikers:

Fletcher  - Gone

Nuhiu - to go

FF - gone

winnall - gone

Rhodes - may even go, especially if he bangs a couple in

at least 3 needed, i dont even know who to suggest - but hopefully 3 different kinds ... mainly pace and direct

25 minutes ago, S70 Owl said:

Realistically i can only see 16 players from the current squad being around at the start of next season/in the match day squads. There are areas we desperately need cover for ....

Goalkeepers:

Joe wildsmith

Cameron Dawson

Kieran Westwood - as we know will most likely leave 

Need a back up - be able to get one on a free

Defenders:

Liam Palmer

Dom Iorfa

Julian Borner

Matt Penney (option to work in the new system we're play with the wing backs)

Moses Odubajo - Monk said he could go earlier in the season so that's a tricky one

Tom Lees - days may be numbered

Fox - Gone

JVA - will be frozen out, or loaned

new centre half and a left back needed if not more

Midfielders:

Kadeem Harris

Joey Pelupessy (sigh)

Bannan

Adam Reach - i don't know why, but i have a feeling he'll leave for a couple million

Luongo

Hunt - obviously has huge potential, a league 1 loan would be great for him

Hutch - Gone

Lee - Gone

2 maybe 3 needed in this department - seen a few mention him but jackson irvine would suit, Ben Whiteman from Donny is one i'd look to sign good age at 23

Strikers:

Fletcher  - Gone

Nuhiu - to go

FF - gone

winnall - gone

Rhodes - may even go, especially if he bangs a couple in

at least 3 needed, i dont even know who to suggest - but hopefully 3 different kinds ... mainly pace and direct

I think Penney, Lees and JVA will all go.

I still think there is a chance Pelupessy will go back to Holland? Reach will be sold IMO? Bannan maybe? Lee will get another year.

We may try to still get Rhodes off the wage bill but I think Nuhiu will stay if he’s prepared to just accept a year?

I think we will try and offload Westwood and Rhodes but this will prove very difficult. 

If we continue with 3 in midfield next season, we need to bring in a designated powerful defensive midfielder to add to Bannan, Lee, Joey, Hunt and Luongo. 

We need at least 2 strikers and I hope we can get Wickham on a season long loan plus a player with pace who can run off him. I think Dave stays for next season as an option off the bench. 

We may try and get Murphy on another deal as well and he’s also keen to come back. 

15 minutes ago, Jim said:

I think Penney, Lees and JVA will all go.

I still think there is a chance Pelupessy will go back to Holland? Reach will be sold IMO? Bannan maybe? Lee will get another year.

We may try to still get Rhodes off the wage bill but I think Nuhiu will stay if he’s prepared to just accept a year?

If all that happens we will need to sign about 12 players in the summer. I dont see that many going or anything like 12 coming in.

Joey will stay as back up. He will def take a look at JVA and Penney. Lees will cover Iorfa. 

Think we will shift Westwood and look to shift Rhodes and maybe get a fee for Reach if he continues to be a sub for the next 7 games.

14 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

If all that happens we will need to sign about 12 players in the summer. I dont see that many going or anything like 12 coming in.

Joey will stay as back up. He will def take a look at JVA and Penney. Lees will cover Iorfa. 

Think we will shift Westwood and look to shift Rhodes and maybe get a fee for Reach if he continues to be a sub for the next 7 games.

Lees is the captain, he won’t want to

play second fiddle to anyone particularly at his age.

Having a look at JVA is a waste of time. Physically he can’t handle the championship plus he’s a bit of a crock. He still missed games at Osnabruck this season. Not convinced with Penney.

Reach will go. Fan opinion as much as anything will see Pelupessy go. The decision to activate the extra year in his contract was as much to keep him for the rest of the season as anything?

7 minutes ago, Jim said:

Lees is the captain, he won’t want to

play second fiddle to anyone particularly at his age.

Having a look at JVA is a waste of time. Physically he can’t handle the championship plus he’s a bit of a crock. He still missed games at Osnabruck this season. Not convinced with Penney.

Reach will go. Fan opinion as much as anything will see Pelupessy go. The decision to activate the extra year in his contract was as much to keep him for the rest of the season as anything?

It's all good wanting them gone but its actually getting rid of them. We will want big money for Reach. So that may halt that. Lees will fight for his place in the team I think. JVA may be just who Monk thinks can be back up to Borner. 

Monk likes Hunt, Grant has been in the squad travelling to games, probably knew Lee was staying. Didnt need to keep Pelupessy unless he wanted to.

Edited by pazowl55

I know it wont be the most popular opinion with many on here, but I have to say Penney looked decent for a couple of games but on many more occasions didn't look upto the standard we need. Hopefully that spell in Germany will have done him good and he can return with a bit more experience and improve his game.

Would certainly look to bring in another LB though for competition, preferably someone with a bit of experience.

6 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

It's all good wanting them gone but its actually getting rid of them. We will want big money for Reach. So that may halt that. Lees will fight for his place in the team I think. JVA may be just who Monk thinks can be back up to Borner. 

Monk likes Hunt, Grant has been in the squad travelling to games, probably knew Lee was staying. Didnt need to keep Pelupessy unless he wanted to.

We won’t get big money for Reach. Last year of his contract.

JVA is cr@p, simple as that as is Pelupessy. Monk talks about a bright future but it’ll be just bull if he keeps those two.

So presuming we stick with 3-5-2 and we have 2 players for every position, we need the following:

1 keeper (3rd choice)

1 centre half (2 if JvA hasn’t improved)

1 right wing back (2 if we get rid of Moses)

1 central midfielder (but ideally 2, or 3 if Lee doesn’t stay)

3 strikers (2 if Nuhiu stays)

So that’s at least 6 new arrivals if we keep Lee and Nuhiu, but it could be as high as 11 if players move on. I’m expecting the transfer window megathread to be at least 300 pages by the end of it

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jim said:

We won’t get big money for Reach. Last year of his contract.

JVA is cr@p, simple as that as is Pelupessy. Monk talks about a bright future but it’ll be just bull if he keeps those two.

Was cr@p. doesn't mean he will be under Monk. If he is then Monk will plonk him in the Winnall pile wont he.

And I dont see us accepting anything less then about 4m for Reach . Unless he has specifically said he is not going to sign a new deal.