From hero to zero

I'm absolutely amazed at how many of our players who up to last season were our best players are now only very average at best. No wonder we now look like anyone can triumph over us. Lees, Lee, Reach, Fernando, Hutchinson, Westwood, the list goes on. A complete rebuild is required and quick.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, RevOwl said:

I'm absolutely amazed at how many of our players who up to last season were our best players are now only very average at best. No wonder we now look like anyone can triumph over us. Lees, Lee, Reach, Fernando, Hutchinson, Westwood, the list goes on. A complete rebuild is required and quick.

Ooh good, a fresh angle on things.

image.jpeg.d59e123b2c57d494ee5336e4332af616.jpeg

• Haha 2

Lee & FF haven't been fully fit for as long as I can remember, so they haven't dropped off this season. Hutchinson & Westwood are just getting older...thats the danger of giving contracts to old fan favourites. I take your point on Reach & Lees...we are all entitled to expect a higher level of performance than we are getting from them both.

6 hours ago, RevOwl said:

The bulk of the players you mention have been the main stay of our starting 11 since god was a lad.

Time catches up with the best of players and there are no exceptions.

A rebuild was needed after the Huddersfield debacle, sadly it's long over due now.

1 minute ago, poite said:

I wouldn't worry about it. A good win on Friday and for the following week we will get thread after thread talking about how we can still make the top 2 and these players still have it in them etc etc. 

That’s the thing - we could. I’m not a happy clapper but The top 2 are losing games “they should win”, it’s only a couple of weeks since we hammered Forest at theirs and they’re still in the mix. It’s a crazy division. Any team that can gat a few results together will take this league and that’s the frustrating thing. 

• Like 1

Leeds and Brighton didn’t look like they could beat us.....or Forest and Middlesbrough 

And last nights result puts Boxing Day in to some sort of perspective.....stoke have been one of the best teams we’ve played each game for the last 2 seasons.....and Hutchinson is still out best centre back 

• Like 1

We can still make the play offs but we need a replacement for Fletcher. Our players aren't past it quite yet but they are all aging together. We do need fresh blood just to liven things up, we need to break up the old guard and bring in some youth. The summer will be our best chance to do this.

I hope P & S doesn't stop us doing so.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RevOwl said:

You forgot Bannan

They were never heroes. Fan favourites maybe but not heroes. They’ve not won anything at the club and their greatest achievement at Wednesday is a play off final we didn’t turn up in.

And they’re not zeroes now. They’ve just got older or injured and dropped off a bit. It’s football, it happens to every player 

• Like 1

Players and systems get found out; it's how the players/the manager adapts in response which is key.

We seem to be slow to adapt.

Harris for example hasn't just become an inferior player, it's just that teams have worked out how to nullify him. It's up to Harris and the coaching staff to respond to that. I've no doubt he will be a key outlet again this season.

Another example is Hutchinson for a long while plugged a lot of gaps, opposition have cottoned on to this and work to isolate him or over commit him. Even back in the day we were vulnerable at the back on the counter if Carlton Palmer couldn't get back quick enough. Once Phil King got found out it was brutal.

and of course, players just get old and or jaded..

Edited by pussface