Leaving Somebody Up When Defending Corners

21 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

we need to try that one in pre-season...lol

it would probably work well ….6 against 3 as got to give you a better chance than 11 against 8 in a congested box ……...no one would dare try it though

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

This is probably the sort of thing where managers have crunched the data and found that you concede x% fewer goals from corners and the following phase of play if you have everyone back vs leaving 1, 2, 3 etc up. It's always seemed counter-intuitive to me when teams pop everyone back, but it seems so prevalent in the game that there must be a logic to it...?

That's what I thought too. I mean, if the other team has a corner and you decide to leave a few up and they put more men in on the corner and get an unmarked man to score, would you risk it on the off chance you can get the clearance to your own man up the field and score on a counter? Most times clearance from a corner ends up with someone from their team and should end up in a shot, simply to allow the team to get back on the right side of the ball. You're risking conceding a goal vs a lower chance of actually scoring on the counter with the man you left up...

At least with my weak/weird grasp of maths ;)

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Manager after manager, and they all keep bringing everyone back. It’s one of those tactical decisions that really makes no sense

Yes it does, the more crowded the penalty area the more difficult for the opposition to shoot or pass through our defence.

14 hours ago, doubleo said:

OK, I'm happy with the start made by GM and he speaks alot of common sense etc etc, but when defending corners why can't we please leave somebody with a bit of pace up towards the halfway line? For me the ideal candidate would be Harris. Not a great defender of a high ball, but, fast, capable of beating a man, and got a good shot on him.  At times against Brentford there was every player on the pitch less than 25 yards from our goal line with the exception of their keeper who was stood just inside his own half ! That means they virtually had 9 men in a goal scoring position, being marked by 10 + Dawson.

Leave Harris up, their keeper drops back to his goal, they bring 2 men back to mark him and that leaves us marking 7 with 9 + Dawson.

Defensively the odds are better;  when the ball comes out we have someone challenging for it which at the very least buys or defence time to get organised before it comes back in, and there's always the chance of a breakaway goal.

I know alot of teams defend a corner with 11 but I just can't see the advantage - but that's probably why I'm sat in the North rather than in the dugout,

It's something a lot of teams started doing in the 2000's as the old fashioned centre forward became less prevailent. England used to do this and I agree with you. The problem I have with it there's no out ball to relieve sustained pressure. Your just inviting more prolonged pressure defending. 

Keeping one up in the middle also forces the opposition to keep one or two players back to avoid getting cought by a quick ball or clearance up field. 

It' doesn't need to be someone super rapid either though. 

In the old days teams would leave their centre forward up to hold the ball up allowing everyone else to quick counter off him.. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

It's something a lot of teams started doing in the 2000's as the old fashioned centre forward became less prevailent. England used to do this and I agree with you. The problem I have with it there's no out ball to relieve sustained pressure. Your just inviting more prolonged pressure defending. 

Keeping one up in the middle also forces the opposition to keep one or two players back to avoid getting cought by a quick ball or clearance up field. 

It' doesn't need to be someone super rapid either though. 

In the old days teams would leave their centre forward up to hold the ball up allowing everyone else to quick counter off him.. 

For me when we play the 2 big lads up top I can understand bringing them back to defend the high ball. But I’d leave Harris on the centre spot, get our smallest and best passer of the ball ( Bazza ) to mark the player nearest the “D” so he has the best chance of picking up a loose ball and go from there.  For the first time in years we have some genuine pace so why not use it.

It's because it's more dangerous to counter attack with fast players sprinting forward chasing a kick from our own area, than having one player stood trying to control a long ball.

For eg. If Dawson catches the ball and kicks it into space there is a good chance a fast player such as Harris is going to get it if every opposition player is within 25 yards of our goal. 

Edited by flo

17 hours ago, doubleo said:

OK, I'm happy with the start made by GM and he speaks alot of common sense etc etc, but when defending corners why can't we please leave somebody with a bit of pace up towards the halfway line? For me the ideal candidate would be Harris. Not a great defender of a high ball, but, fast, capable of beating a man, and got a good shot on him.  At times against Brentford there was every player on the pitch less than 25 yards from our goal line with the exception of their keeper who was stood just inside his own half ! That means they virtually had 9 men in a goal scoring position, being marked by 10 + Dawson.

Leave Harris up, their keeper drops back to his goal, they bring 2 men back to mark him and that leaves us marking 7 with 9 + Dawson.

Defensively the odds are better;  when the ball comes out we have someone challenging for it which at the very least buys or defence time to get organised before it comes back in, and there's always the chance of a breakaway goal.

I know alot of teams defend a corner with 11 but I just can't see the advantage - but that's probably why I'm sat in the North rather than in the dugout,

Totally agree... I’ll get on the blower to Monk right now and suggest that strategy... I’ll post back his reply..... hold on................hold on.........ok, great, he said that he’d try it against Derby and that he’d leave four up by the halfway line and with Derby doubling up on each player they wouldn’t even have enough players to take the corner... flippin brilliant.

Doesn't need everyone to come back. It's simple football.If a corner is taken and we win possession, who do we play to? If all ourt players are back, it can only go to the other side, and we are immediately under pressure again. Even one lone player outside is at least a target for clearance.

19 hours ago, doubleo said:

We never did this when Hirst used to play................never understood it then, still don't. They have to leave two defenders with whoever's up front. Also if we clear from the corner some one to pick up the loose ball. Dont need a coaching badge for that piece of rocket science.