EFL Statement

2 minutes ago, Beholder said:

If the cvnts relegate us over this, im fkn done with football.

Bizarrely, I think if they relegated us I'd want to support us more. I'd want us to come back stronger and ram it up their pipes so far it came out the other end. Each to their own though, and I can see why a lot of people would have the same view as you. 

It's only a game innit? I keep telling myself that. 

2 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Bizarrely, I think if they relegated us I'd want to support us more. I'd want us to come back stronger and ram it up their pipes so far it came out the other end. Each to their own though, and I can see why a lot of people would have the same view as you. 

It's only a game innit? I keep telling myself that. 

The game is rigged from top to bottom by money men.

Starting to hate what it's become. 

16 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

You give me hope in this thread. I've got that nasty feeling that we are the example club. Same as Leeds were a few seasons ago when they were punished, relegated and points off the following season. Same as rangers were when they were dropped 3 divisions or whatever it was. 

Trouble is, back of my mind, I'm thinking the EFL won't care that our accountants can prove we exploited a loophole. Well, they will and they'll punish us anyway. 

On another note, how in gods name have we racked up losses that are so huge? We pay a huge amount for tickets, which give DC some wiggle room to put more in he says. Then we find out we lose nearly the full 3 season amount in 1 season? Our players must be on an absolute fortune. However, since we have to enter the North via penistone Road, me and the lad walk through the carpark. We always look at the cars cos we both love nice cars. There's no absolutely stunning ones except for an R8, which is hardly a hyper car. I'm not saying that this is the sole barometer for whether someone is overpaid or not but we don't seem to have players on eye watering wages. Is it cos we've got a large squad? I just don't see how we've lost so much in 1 season. 

The disciplinary action seems to be on the timing of the sale and which accounting period it has gone into. The secondary question is was 60m the "right" figure in terms of market value which they can be sort of judge and jury on. 

The former I would say is a more black and white argument but there is grey around this dull subject of accounting standards. 

As I say I am not going to commentate on that specifically because I haven't seen the evidence. Even if I did it would be my judgement and each person will have a different view. 

I suspect the EFL will appoint an independent expert if they haven't already, they will genuinely be independent btw and using the same evidence what would they conclude was the appropriate accounting treatment. 

I have private views on this that until its conclusion will remain so

Guest Bulgaria

I must be honest and say that even if we end up in div 2, I am actually not that bothered.

As long as SWFC still exists I don't really care what league we are in.

Maybe going down in a strange way might rejuvenate us as a club, because if truth be told it's all just terribly stagnant right now.

36 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

On another note, how in gods name have we racked up losses that are so huge? We pay a huge amount for tickets, which give DC some wiggle room to put more in he says. Then we find out we lose nearly the full 3 season amount in 1 season? Our players must be on an absolute fortune. However, since we have to enter the North via penistone Road, me and the lad walk through the carpark. We always look at the cars cos we both love nice cars. There's no absolutely stunning ones except for an R8, which is hardly a hyper car. I'm not saying that this is the sole barometer for whether someone is overpaid or not but we don't seem to have players on eye watering wages. Is it cos we've got a large squad? I just don't see how we've lost so much in 1 season. 

It's mad isn't it.

We still have half the starting 11 from 3 years ago, so it's not as if a squad overhaul caused such big losses.

As you say, we also have the most expensive ticket prices in our history. Mental.

The scary thing is, this squad needs overhauling now, and we don't have a pot left to piiss in.

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

The point I am arguing is this seems to be a case arguing about the application of accounting standards and adequacy of the supporting evidence. An interminable dull subject at the best of times. 

Are the EFL accountants better placed than those working for the club and the auditors to make that judgement ? Given the potential ramifications for the latter on a professional level then it will be defended for sure

Are they just queying whether accounting statndards have been properly applied?

The statement from the EFL states "financial information provided by Sheffield Wednesday in relation to the Club’s 2017/18 Profitability and Sustainability (P&S) submission". The financial information that clubs have to provide goes beyond just sending in a copy of the audited accounts and includes various projections from the year before, adjustments and directors statements. The SWFC submissions for 2017/18 was not a one-off event it was a series of submissions that presumably was expected to have a reasonable degree of accuracy and consistency. What if those earlier submissions didn't dislclose anything close to say a £35m operating loss or the the iminent sale of the ground for say £60m and the directors cannot provide reasonable explanations?

Edited by kobayashi
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bladeshater said:

Why do people enjoy scaremongering just sit back and wait at present we are not guilty of anything 

You seem a bit confused. It's a forum. 

People don't sit back and wait on forums. They speculate and discuss.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

I must be honest and say that even if we end up in div 2, I am actually not that bothered.

As long as SWFC still exists I don't really care what league we are in.

Maybe going down in a strange way might rejuvenate us as a club, because if truth be told it's all just terribly stagnant right now.

I kind of agree mate. Lower down the leagues it's actually about football , not crippling yourselves in the chase for the premier league millions. Sky and the premier league have destroyed football in this country.